Page 154 of 163 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 4873
    Irrelevant to YOUR succes chino3's Avatar
    chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    Gladiator guards. Have to bite it and send back so they can make one that really fits but imho worth it.
    yup, been a customer of theirs for years. Awesome product and awesome company
    "It won't get better, just different."

“Yeah, that's what the present is. It's a little unsatisfying because life's a little unsatisfying.”

Bring back ****g‏‏‎ot, ****g‏‏‎ot .

Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clockbro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by chino3 View Post
    yup, been a customer of theirs for years. Awesome product and awesome company
    Same here, I have lost so many mouthguards that I have Gladiator print my name on it.
    The most non restrictive mouthguard I have used.

Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000) Evening7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by merl227 View Post
    Man I did my 2nd class of BJJ last night & I already got a minor injury. When rolling with someone I got into an odd position & my shoulder kind of went back farther than it should’ve. Had to skip working out yesterday & today. Doubt ill be able to workout for the next couple of days... buddy i am ****ing pissed.
    This will happen pretty often with BJJ if you're rolling hard.
    Русский crew
    Viking Crew

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    SO.

Has anyone else had this happen?

We had belt promotions at my gym. I was pretty excited going in, since I can beat pretty much all the other white belt women (and some of the men). I came out with one stripe, while some people I'm clearly more skilled than got two or, in one case, FOUR. Seriously--this one girl got two stripes and she quite literally cannot do a forward roll. She sort of falls down and scoots sideways.

Today I talked to an instructor one-on-one and he told me that according to him I'm doing great and deserve more stripes, but that some instructors believe that my attitude is too aggressive. He said that according to him that's a great trait to have as a competitor, but that the school is a business, and they can't run it like they ran his old wrestling team--that you either go hard and get tough or you leave. Hence, I need to mellow out and not go hard often during live rolls. (BTW I have already started trying to modulate this a lot).

To me, though, it's a bit annoying because it feels like "oh, let's reward the weak, unathletic hobbyists with belt stripes just for showing up, and let's ding the people who come in strong, athletic, and competitive."

I'm totally going to suck it up and work on my attitude, attempt to be a great sparring partner who's aware of what my opponent/teammate needs from me. I also want to clearly state up front "let's go hard" when I want to go hard and ask if that's okay. And also I will go easy if they ask to go easy (again, sometimes it's honestly difficult for me to comprehend HOW WEAK some people are... but that's another story and I can just feel it out and let them use me as a drill dummy if I have to). But bleh. I need to do a comp.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EidFnatic has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You could do with a lickle humbling.

Stripes (and belts) mean nowt at t'end of t'day.
    Hogan Warrior Taker Bret Y2J

If HE looks like a SHE, it is acceptable.

Small Willy Brah.

SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    SO.

We had belt promotions at my gym. I was pretty excited going in, since I can beat pretty much all the other white belt women (and some of the men). I came out with one stripe, while some people I'm clearly more skilled than got two or, in one case, FOUR. Seriously--this one girl got two stripes and she quite literally cannot do a forward roll. She sort of falls down and scoots sideways.

Today I talked to an instructor one-on-one and he told me that according to him I'm doing great and deserve more stripes, but that some instructors believe that my attitude is too aggressive. He said that according to him that's a great trait to have as a competitor, but that the school is a business, and they can't run it like they ran his old wrestling team--that you either go hard and get tough or you leave. Hence, I need to mellow out and not go hard often during live rolls. (BTW I have already started trying to modulate this a lot).

To me, though, it's a bit annoying because it feels like "oh, let's reward the weak, unathletic hobbyists with belt stripes just for showing up, and let's ding the people who come in strong, athletic, and competitive."

I'm totally going to suck it up and work on my attitude, attempt to be a great sparring partner who's aware of what my opponent/teammate needs from me. I also want to clearly state up front "let's go hard" when I want to go hard and ask if that's okay. And also I will go easy if they ask to go easy (again, sometimes it's honestly difficult for me to comprehend HOW WEAK some people are... but that's another story and I can just feel it out and let them use me as a drill dummy if I have to). But bleh. I need to do a comp.
    Sounds like you need to compete. Maybe if you start winning stuff you can get promoted faster? Depends on your gym.

Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bassackwards has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SO.

i know your feels; my old gym kept stringing me along too. i was already more technical than my peers and easily smashed them rolling. i trained +3 times a week and even competed (and medaled). imo, my peers got striped and i didnt because i didnt volunteer and assit with teaching classes and coach kept a couple of us as blue belts to sand bag the competitions. pissed me off that a couple of them got their purple belts and didnt even compete.... but whatever. thats life
    US Navy Veteran
    eats sriracha with everything
    ^^VV<><> BA Start

chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chino3 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    SO.

If you want to be promoted based on how bad ass you are, then go to a competition based gym. But also be prepared to be sandbagged to a certain degree. But ultimately look at it like this... Are you there to get a belt, or to learn and train?

“Yeah, that's what the present is. It's a little unsatisfying because life's a little unsatisfying.”

shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you want to be promoted based on how bad ass you are, then go to a competition based gym. But also be prepared to be sandbagged to a certain degree. But ultimately look at it like this... Are you there to get a belt, or to learn and train?
    I'm there to train. And I'm not even upset anymore, it was more being in the gym with all of the other white and blue belts, I felt on-the-spot a bit humiliated. Now I'm over it and, if anything, more driven to perfect my technique and be a good rolling partner for others at the gym.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) residesinAZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If it doesn't start clicking there's probably other gyms in the area. There's so much variation in this sport. Gyms tend to focus on what they're good at, sometimes that doesn't match who you are.
    Butt scooting inverted gyms vs judo/wrestling high risk take down gyms.
    It's all BJJ.

UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) UnclRuckus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    SO.

What do you mean by 'go hard'? You don't need to use a lot of force, better to try to apply as little force as possible and focus on technique, speed, timing, deception etc instead. You're not gonna learn too much from 'going hard' if you're just forcing your way through stuff on bad opponents...

If you notice that you keep submitting your opponents with the same chit all the time, maybe apply it a little slower, and instead of going for the tap just release once you've had them in a dominant position and go to a new position. If no one has good enough technique to keep up then you probably should switch gyms no matter what.
    Without the internet i feel like a small rock on the mountain.

I don't really want my posts on the internet tbh ... I'm just legit addicted to posting ... people become addicted to the internet look it up

damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    she quite literally cannot do a forward roll. She sort of falls down and scoots sideways.
    lol'd in real life... lol
    While you were partying I studied the Blade.

Originally Posted by UnclRuckus View Post
    What do you mean by 'go hard'? You don't need to use a lot of force, better to try to apply as little force as possible and focus on technique, speed, timing, deception etc instead. You're not gonna learn too much from 'going hard' if you're just forcing your way through stuff on bad opponents...

If you notice that you keep submitting your opponents with the same chit all the time, maybe apply it a little slower, and instead of going for the tap just release once you've had them in a dominant position and go to a new position. If no one has good enough technique to keep up then you probably should switch gyms no matter what.
    pH yeah meant to comment on this as well. I've never asked anyone if they want to go hard, it's only CAN We go hard and it's ONLY with people I know are on my level or HIGHER... If you have trouble comprehending "HOW WEAK some people are" then your technique is nowhere near what it should be. If you can't adjust on the fly and still make it a good roll, again, your technique is nowhere near it should be. Sorry lady, but your mindset is pretty gross and toxic

pH yeah meant to comment on this as well. I've never asked anyone if they want to go hard, it's only CAN We go hard and it's ONLY with people I know are on my level or HIGHER... If you have trouble comprehending "HOW WEAK some people are" then your technique is nowhere near what it should be. If you can't adjust on the fly and still make it a good roll, again, your technique is nowhere near it should be. Sorry lady, but your mindset is pretty gross and toxic

Well, then, I'm glad to know that. I don't want to have a bad mindset. I agree that I need to work more on technique (actually have been and have had more good rolls lately) and feel appropriately chastened (I think).

Looking back at that post after a few days of cooling down... Yeah I see it.
    Last edited by shesprints; 06-26-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000)
    SO.

go and find this gym, renzo gracie academy.

kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kneeonbelly has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SO.

I know how you feel. from the outside looking in, i can tell you objectively that this was a business decision and nothing personal.

you 'get it'. you are athletic, aggressive confident and trainable. if you compete more than likely you will smash the competition, which will get you a belt over a stripe in the long run. the people you said can barely roll forward; they have been putting the time in but will get smashed in rolling. those are the ones that NEED tangible reminders that they are seen and are improving. If they didnt get something to lead them around they will feel like they are just getting their ass kicked (by you more than likely) and they'll quit taking their money from the gym.

they know you have skill. they can see it. leaving you without any recognition wouldnt have been fair so they gave you a stripe. dont get hung up on it, because you have the focus to compete and the skill set to be successful. in the future, see if you can roll with a higher belt or someone that is heavier than you. you can go as hard as you want with someone heavier and it wouldnt be seen as so bad

SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SystemTrend is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ****liShred View Post

fuk that lol

SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000) SomaliShred is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SystemTrend View Post
    fuk that lol
    why not ? shes got the athletic ability and explosiveness, with the right training environment she can go much further than some mcdojo that doesnt train hard.

iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What mouthguards are you guys/gals using? I want one that I can breathe easy in.
    I've never ever used mouth guards in my life

iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Looks like fun!

why not ? shes got the athletic ability and explosiveness, with the right training environment she can go much further than some mcdojo that doesnt train hard.
    i'm saying for me lol, i would probably get hurt the first day there.

ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ClownToucher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's really, really hard to tell what's really going on when all you have is the side of the story from a white belt who was upset about not being promoted. I'd just tell her to keep training. It might be a soft ass mcdojo or it could be the instructor wanted her to clean up her technique or because he has higher expectations for her as a competitor vs. a hobbyist who could barely complete the warmups when they first joined. It's possible her gym just isn't the right fit for her goals, but that's a hard conclusion to draw without seeing the whole picture.

I was a white belt for over 2.5 years thanks to a gym switch and could easily beat all the others using wrestling, speed and strength... but it didn't matter because I still couldn't touch the purples, browns or blacks. The color belts are fun to receive, but they don't mean much in the long run if your goal is to beat as high a percentage of people as possible. Just keep training and learning.
    Liberalism: the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

**Flow with the Go Crew**

**Turn off lights in public restroom every time I'm first to leave crew**

Feeding off the tears of 19 year old misc philosophers since 2011

peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SO.

You're thinking about training/BJJ all wrong srs

Brb, dodge promotions, brb fukin wreck tournies, brb livin that goat life. Also stop paying so much attention to everyone else, do you fam and stop focusing so much on comparing yourself to others

You'll have a lot more fun/will progress a lot faster if you don't chase belts
    ***Feeding son only beef jerky and rocks until he is 24 crew***

***Will be asking other parents at preschool meetings if they are jawmaxing their kids too crew***

Started going two days a week now due to my adult responsibilities, unfortunately they are both no gi sessions though. I really wanted to get at least 1 Gi session in per week, oh well. Will my no gi translate okay to Gi or will I pretty much get destroyed?

Shiverin' since '92 Mr.PissShivers's Avatar
    Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr.PissShivers has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Started going two days a week now due to my adult responsibilities, unfortunately they are both no gi sessions though. I really wanted to get at least 1 Gi session in per week, oh well. Will my no gi translate okay to Gi or will I pretty much get destroyed?

Not that this is relevant to your question, but it reminds me of old school catch wrestler Ad Santel who took up the challenge of going against one of the top Judokas of the time using judo rules and wearing a gi. Santel won the match and declared himself World Judo champion.
    OLD MOVIE CREW

Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ownster8932 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    SO.

Not everybody trains for the same reason. Both fortunately/unfortunately, BJJ has sort of become what CrossFit turned into for fitness and working out. BJJ has become extremely accessible, where you have people of all ages/genders/races participating, much like CrossFit, even if they have previously never trained in any martial art or had any interest in doing so. This means that you've got a wide range of people participating, all looking at BJJ to achieve different goals (maybe it's just a fun way for them to stay or get in shape, while also working their minds or a parent looking to do something with their kid or spouses doing something together, etc).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to "go hard" as that is my preferred style of rolling too (deathmatches, almost treat it like a competition, lol). However, you really should roll with people of all different sizes/genders/goals because it exposes you to different ways to approach a session and still be successful. You're rolling against that 120 lb girl who has only been there a month? Good, now you can try to work from positions you may not get to work from a lot or you can practice that submission or sweep that has been giving you trouble when going from drilling to live. You're rolling with a dude whose first day it is? Good, he will likely ask you some questions. This gives you the opportunity to really think about what it is they are asking, process it in your mind, and have explain it to them, which gives you better technical mastery (this goes for life in general, not just BJJ. If you can teach something simply and effectively, that is "mastery"). Rolling against that girl who is about your size and been rolling as long as you have? Good, now you guys can kill each other, lol. Rolling against somebody who you can beat mostly, but you know they have that really good side control? Good, see if you can work from that position and get out of it. Rolling against a blue/purple/whatever belt? Good, see if you can survive, find an opening, go hard (but, the harder you go at them, the harder they will go back, naturally). Rolling with the soccer mom who is just looking to get in better shape while having fun and learning a new skill? Good, it gives you an opportunity to learn how to control your strength/aggression such that it's a productive roll for the both of you. It doesn't mean you just sit there. You can try going slower and seeing if you can hold a position or really apply a submission technically without having to beast mode it into place. I can go on and on with these types of examples. There is something to be gained from all types of people and all belt levels, if you keep an open mind.

On another note, nothing wrong necessarily with wanting to be promoted and progressing, but if that is your main goal, then I think you're missing out on the point a lot. At the end of the day, yes, a belt shows that your instructor feels you have achieved a certain level of competency and it's nice (for some) to see that reward, but really, belt don't mean **** (to an extent) in real life. You can go buy a black belt if you want, lol, sure AF doesn't make you one. Focus on getting better, becoming a better training partner, and maximizing your rolls and you'll probably find all the achievement you want. I'm personally the opposite; we had a promotion day a couple of weeks ago and I tried hiding behind a pillar to not get promoted (didn't work), lol. I would just stay a white belt if I could (particularly because I don't feel I deserve to be promoted in terms of skill). The belt doesn't mean anything to me (not saying anybody is wrong if it does for them).

At my gym, there is more that goes into the promotion than just skill, and it sounds like it is similar to your place. My coach specifically says that things like consistency, teaching newer people, being a good training partner, him trusting you with noobies, etc all factor into the equation, as well as progression in skill. He won't promote somebody to blue belt that he doesn't feel can safely roll with anybody and I tend to think that's a good rule.

Edit- also, at my gym, we have a rule of just ask the person how hard they like to roll if you haven't rolled together before. I usually just kinda let them dictate the intensity (unless it's an upper belt and/or I know the person is game) or I'll say, "Let me know if it's too hard/intense"

Sorry lady, but your mindset is pretty gross and toxic
    Agreed.

Originally Posted by peterplsss View Post
    You're thinking about training/BJJ all wrong srs

Brb, dodge promotions, brb fukin wreck tournies, brb livin that goat life. Also stop paying so much attention to everyone else, do you fam and stop focusing so much on comparing yourself to others

You'll have a lot more fun/will progress a lot faster if you don't chase belts
    This^

I don't want to compete because I prioritize my lifting and I would be pretty pissed if I got injured in competition and was out of lifting for any extended period of time. I'm a 4-stripe white belt now, so I will probably do a comp, but I have zero desire to do so. It's more a function of me personally feeling like I have to in order for me to "accept" getting promoted and not feel like a fraud (I don't judge others on whether they compete or not, just my opinion for myself personally). But I already know I'm going to go with one foot in, one foot out due to being afraid of injury, lol.
    Gal Gadot Crew
    Madelaine Petsch Crew
    Victoria Justice Crew

damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) damlurker550 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    noticed something guise IIT might understand.

ive had the opportunity to train at many academies in the alst 2 years due to travelling around. And most of these places use pushups for warm-ups or a penalty..

And yet not a single pushup rep seen/10.

lmao.. seriously everyone does the worst quarter rep pushup ive ever witnessed lol
    people just bouncing up and down on their shoulders..
    i think i saw Saulo Ribeiro call out his entire gym for this in some vid as well.
    While you were partying I studied the Blade.

peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peterplsss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What mouthguards are you guys/gals using? I want one that I can breathe easy in.
    Use damage control mouthguards, they are the goat and aren't expensive.

https://www.dcmouthguards.com/collec...extreme-impact

Always wears mouthguard crew, literally have seen someone get 2 teeth cracked just drilling a pressure escape from a guillotine from the person on top's shoulder pressure under the neck/jaw. Fuk that
    ***Feeding son only beef jerky and rocks until he is 24 crew***

***Will be asking other parents at preschool meetings if they are jawmaxing their kids too crew***

So coming from bodybuilding most of my life, I'm naturally stronger than a lot of guys that haven't lifted a lot or don't lift at all and only focus on bjj (you know those guys, the skinny dudes that are really good). Should I feel bad if my opponent clearly has better technique and skill than me but I muscle out of submissions? Seems cheap and I would rather prevent the submission in the first place using skill. I'll tap fast to a decent armbar and/or leg lock though.

Today after rolling for about 5-10 minutes with a guy, I tapped out this more skilled guy (well I perceived him as more skilled than me) with a mounted americana, and he just chuckled, didn't say anything even though we were cool drilling, etc and immediately went to the next person. Like I don't know if he was being salty or I was going too hard or using more strength than skill? Maybe I'm just over thinking all this because strength is part of bjj.

Anyway just thinking out loud.

Originally Posted by peterplsss View Post
    Use damage control mouthguards, they are the goat and aren't expensive.

https://www.dcmouthguards.com/collec...extreme-impact

Always wears mouthguard crew, literally have seen someone get 2 teeth cracked just drilling a pressure escape from a guillotine from the person on top's shoulder pressure under the neck/jaw. Fuk that
    yup and teeth grinding on lips = no thnx jeffo

I have a custom moulded mouth guard made by a dentist. Never comes off during striking or grappling training.