fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How to calculate lean body mass?

I currently weigh 290lbs (131kg) and I'm 6'0" tall.

I'm trying to calculate an approximate amount of fats to have in my diet, but the calculation listed in the sticky (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981) uses lean body mass to calculate how much fat you need to take in.

Using the math in the sticky mentioned above I've worked out the following:

Calories: 3000-3270 (depending on which method)
    Protein: 184-263

Using that it looks like I need to go down to about 2400-2600 calories/day to cut.

But I don't know how to calculate lean body mass which is needed for the fat calculation.

I know that I'm supposed to weight about 180lbs, so prior to starting weight lifting I was probably close to that for lean mass, but I've been weight lifting for 3 months now and have no idea how to calculate what my lean mass it now.

Any suggestions?

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Based on your most recent profile photo, I'd say you're body fat is between 35% and 40%.

Set protein intake to ~150 grams. Dietary fat to 70 grams. Compose your remaining calories from whatever mix of macronutrient you prefer. Also take care to ensure micronutrient sufficiency, preferably derived from a diet composed in the (vast) majority from whole and minimally processed foods.

You can start by consuming about 2,600 calories per day. Monitor weight biweekly with the goal of losing 1 to 2 pounds per week on average. Expect an initial rapid loss of water weight, which will taper within one to three weeks.

If weight loss is excessively slow benchmarked to energy intake and/or you have metabolic syndrome (and/or other relevant disorders), you might want to consider a ketogenic diet protocol.

Reevaluate once you're no longer obese.

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sure, at your weight/bf% we wouldn't use the stickies in the same manner we might someone who is much leaner. At this point the fat content isn't as important for you and the BF reduction is. So if you plan to use ~2600kcals for your target intake, which I think is reasonable with what small amount of information I have, then you could use a ratio in this instance where 80-90 grams of fat would be ok. Possibly even less if you prefer. As time goes forward and you begin to see body fat reductions that bring you back to what we might call more normal or reasonable levels then calculating on body weight will make more sense.

So the take away is determine your protein intake, which you have and that sounds good except for the 263 part imo; fill the remainder of your calories with some fat and some carbohydrate, maybe even a bit more protein if you like but hit your calorie targets as close as possible. On occasion you may go over and do so quite a bit, that's fine and can be beneficial, just don't make a habit of it right now. If you find the intake is too little, i.e. you're losing weight too fast, then up the calories a bit, but you should be able to stay relatively satisfied on 2600kcals, and you're trying to lose a substantial amount of weight, so in the beginning you are going to fight some hunger, but it will get easier and that part will pass. GL

fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fatchris1980 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The protein numbers were based on the math in the sticky I linked:

So to try to make it as simple as possible:
    1. Protein: Protein intake is a bit of a controversial issue in nutrition. The general recommendations given in the 'bodybuilding' area are nearly double the 'standard' recommendations given in the Sports Nutrition Arena.
    The GENERAL sports nutrition guideline based on clinical trials suggest that in the face of ADEQUATE calories and CARBS the following protein intakes are sufficient:
    STRENGTH training -> 1.4 to 2g per KG bodyweight (about .6 / pound)
    ENDURANCE training -> 1.2 to 1.8g per KG bodyweight (about .8 / pound)
    ADOLESCENT in training -> 1.8 to 2.2g per KG bodyweight (about 1g / pound)
    I'm doing Strength training (AllPro beginner routine), so the range is 1.4 to 2.0 x body weight, that's where the 263 came from. I'll try to stick to the lower end of the range.

So aim for 70g of fat? Does that sound reasonable?

Also for carbs:

3. Carbs: For carbs there are no specific 'requirements' for your body so - but carbs are important for athletes, ACTIVE individuals, or those trying to GAIN MASS. [carbs help with workout intensity, health, & satiety (+ sanity)]. This means if you are an athlete involved in a good volume of training I would suggest you CALCULATE a requirement for carbs as a PRIORITY - then go back and calculate protein / fat:
    Moderately active: 4.5 - 6.5 g/ kg (about 2 - 3g/ pound)
    High active: 6.5 - 8.5 g/ kg (about 3 - 4g/ pound)
    INTENSE activity: + 8.5g / kg (more than 4g/ pound)

For 'others' - simply carbohydrate intakes via the calories left over from fats/ protein:
    carb cals = Total cal needs - ([protein grams above x 4] + [fat grams above x 9])
    carb grams = (above cals)/ 4
    Since I'm to cut, I'm going with the 'other' method:

carb calories = 2600 - (180x4 + 70x9) = 1350
    carb grams = 337

Does that look right?

rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rand18m is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's fine, as Pug said, you could actually do fine with protein being a bit lower, but the extra protein content will help with satiety and fat at 70 should be fine. If it's 80 some days or whatever it's fine. Try and hit your caloric target daily as close as you can, keep your protein intake in that range, say 150-180 or a bit more on some days, and you'll do fine.

Remember the secret is CHRONIC negative energy balance, the opposite of what got you to where you are. However it's obviously more difficult to do that than chronic positive energy balance, but you'll be surprised given a short amount of time how you'll adjust to the new intake pretty quickly. (Again, if losing too fast and very uncomfortable you can add a couple hundreds cals)

I suggest you get a good app and track your calories and macros, something most don't want to do, but you will be surprised here as well in that most people's diets don't change as much as they think. Within a couple of weeks you can look at a plate and have a pretty good idea. GL

Well I'm going to start counting all of that, plus take the following on a weekly basis:

Weight

Measurements of: chest, waist, stomach, biceps, thighs, and calfs.

Anything else I could be monitoring to track progress?

I know I've already shrunk my waistline, my belt is going on about 2 notches tighter than it used to (so I've lost about 1.5 inches so far), but I actually gained some weight right at the beginning and my weight hasn't changed since then, but I've definitely started toning down. So I believe it's been a combination of building muscle and losing fat, but I want to focus on losing fat for the next cycle or two of lifting.