phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Workout Program on Keto

Hey all,
    I've been bulking all summer and have gone from about 157-165. Once i hit 170
    I plan on cutting down to about 163 on a keto diet.

Its also about time for me to switch programs, so im wondering what a good option would be.

Would i be better off doing a higher frequency program that goes 5 days a week?

I was sorta thinking about doing the 636 program with a CKD, and carb loading on my lift days. However in the program it says its for mass building, so im a little skeptical how well it would work.

Also ive heard that on a cut i should be more focused on a split than doing alot of compound lifts? Idk. How true this is though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Newcomer to the IIFYM Crew and loving it

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    At 5' 10" and 155 you're palnning to cut?

How do you think you're going to look at 5' 10" and 140?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) phillycheese92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you read my post you'd see that those stats are outdated haha, im 165 now and starting my cut at 170
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    At 5' 10" and 155 you're palnning to cut?

How do you think you're going to look at 5' 10" and 140?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by phillycheese92 View Post
    If you read my post you'd see that those stats are outdated haha, im 165 now and starting my cut at 170
    Your choice, but you still aren't carrying enough muscle to support a bodybuilding cut.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Your choice, but you still aren't carrying enough muscle to support a bodybuilding cut.
    Im not planning on going in to competition at a lean 165, i just dont want to bulk for 25 lbs straight. Id rather try to stay lean and use 2 smaller bulk cycles. Should only take 4 weeks or so to do this cut

Bump?

Should only take 4 weeks or so to do this cut
    Realistically, you're not going to make significant changes in body composition in such a short time. But if you're hell-bent on cutting, here are some basics, from a previous post:

Ironwill2008 Basic Cut Plan
    ------------------------------

Eat far enough below your maintenance calorie level as to see about a pound a week drop in your bodyweight. This will be somewhere between 10 and 20% of your maintenance calorie level. Macro consistency is mandatory; weigh your portions and track them on one of the many online tracker sites. Guesswork and estimates of how much you're eating will fail you.

Eat the same amount of calories every day; don't attempt to vary carbs every day or to "carb cycle." These are more-advanced methods that shouldn't be employed by novices; they only add unnecessary complication to a process that even in basic form is already fairly detailed. The idea is to keeps things simple and manageable with a minimum of hassle.

Do only enough cardio to maintain your CV health; don't depend on it at this point to drop body fat; use calorie deficit to do that. Two, 20 minute sessions of LISS per week should be enough to keep things in good shape on the inside.

Cut your daily cals by cutting some carbs out of your meals. Keep your protein and fat intake intact. If you get excessively hungry during the day, snack on raw veggies; filling, with minimal calories.

By all means, continue to lift as heavy as you have been. To start lifting "light weigh for high reps" (or some other such broscience way to cut) will signal your body to burn unneeded muscle tissue, and this is especially true when on a calorie deficit. The best 'cutting' routine is the same one you used to build the muscle in the first place.

Same deal with excessive cardio; save adding-in cardio for the last few weeks of your cut, when fat loss from calorie reduction alone begins to stall out. Then would be the time to add in one or two more sessions of the cardio of your choice.

Above all, be patient, and take it slow; give things time to start working before you go overboard with calorie restriction, cardio, or anything else you think might "speed up" the process. Anything that does speed this up will very likely cost you some hard-earned muscle, and that's exactly what you don't want. In actuality, dropping fat isn't all that difficult; doing it while at the same time retaining as much muscle mass as possible is where many a 'cut' has gone down the tubes.

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Realistically, you're not going to make significant changes in body composition in such a short time. But if you're hell-bent on cutting, here are some basics, from a previous post:
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking to make any drastic changes, i think dropping 3-5 lbs of fat before i continue my bulk should suffice

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I wouldn't bother with CKD, just eat a mixed diet. Keep carbs low and concentrate on fat/protein based foods if that makes it easier for you to control your appetite - but there is no reason to go ketogenic.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I wouldn't bother with CKD, just eat a mixed diet. Keep carbs low and concentrate on fat/protein based foods if that makes it easier for you to control your appetite - but there is no reason to go ketogenic.
    I realize that keto isnt necessarily the best way to go, but its the fastest and i definitely would prefer to get a small cut like this out of the way quickly. Ive heard that keto diets are less muscle sparing than one that uses carbs, but if i can spend less time doing it, that means i can spend more time bulking and making gains, so i dont see why one is necessarily better than the other. Just a preference thing IMO

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I realize that keto isnt necessarily the best way to go, but its the fastest and i definitely would prefer to get a small cut like this out of the way quickly. Ive heard that keto diets are less muscle sparing than one that uses carbs, but if i can spend less time doing it, that means i can spend more time bulking and making gains, so i dont see why one is necessarily better than the other. Just a preference thing IMO
    The faster diet is the one that has the larger calorie defecit.

Keto tends to fool you because you drop glycogen weight. Of course it comes straight back once you start eating carbs again.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You might as well stick with the same lifting plan with possibly less volume during the cut and the change if you need to once you start bulking again. Also to echo Ironwill;s post, I would suggest not bothering with any keto diet or carb cycling etc. Just get your minimums of protein and fat and fill the rest of your calories with mostly carbs eating roughly the same macros and calories every day. You don't really need to get into rocket science to lose 7 lbs. Also be aware that dropping 7lbs of actual fat may result in a bodyweight drop of a few more due to the initial water weight loss you may experience.
    The floundering has ended.

Interesting, so basically what im hearing here is that keto diets are overrated? Or is it just not fit for my specific goals?

Because from ive seen it seems like alot of people have alot of success with keto diets, so they have interested me alot.

Interesting, so basically what im hearing here is that keto diets are overrated? Or is it just not fit for my specific goals?

Because from ive seen it seems like alot of people have alot of success with keto diets, so they have interested me alot.
    It's just an unnecessary complication. Cutting out carbs severly limits your food choices for no good reason.

The success is probably down to the food choices you have to make on keto - meat, salad, eggs, etc - all very satiating high protein foods. But you can add some carbs to that (call it TKD if you like ) and it will probably be better.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

By and large yes. It will only make a huge difference for someone with severe problems with insulin sensitivity and\or secretion.
    The floundering has ended.

risefm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not trying to disregard or sway you from the recent replies in this thread - however, I figured I would provide some input since I've been on keto for about three months now. It sounds like you want some quicker changes in body composition, which is exactly what keto will do for you. My advice is run keto for however long until you're happy and then up your carb intake a little bit. I've upped my carb limit now that I like where I'm at and it hasn't affected me whatsoever (just allows me to enjoy all the foods that you oh so dearly miss on a keto diet).

As far as a workout routine is concerned and to answer your question - From experience, I've ran a bunch of different routines on keto and I would have to say just continue to lift heavy. High reps are taxing as hell on a low carb diet and you will feel like death. I enjoy running so I end up doing cardio maybe 3 times a week. However, the diet itself is what will ultimately make the changes.. not so much what routine you're on. Hope this helps.