Trackthlete has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question Induction Phase + 6 Miles/day = Recipe for Disaster?

Hi, I am new to a Ketogenic Diet (not to lifting) and I am wondering if this would be detrimental to my health. On my current diet, I am lifting 7 days a week and running 6 miles EVERY day.

If I start my induction phase tomorrow and keep the same workout intensity, would I be depleting my glycogen stores too quickly? I could only imagine that it would be bad for my health. The only thing that I am really concerned about is the induction phase. I hope to get it over with as soon as possible, as I am going on a vacation next week and don't want to have brain "fog". Do you think that if I were to start now and continue running 6 miles/day, that I could quickly transition to fat adap. in roughly a week? **or wait till after my vacation.

I understand that all this cardio can help me enter into a ketogenic state faster, but only to a certain extent. The only thing I'm concerned with is the brain "fog". I think it is important for me to also note that I am currently on an ECA stack which could help with the lack of energy. Thanks for any input, I greatly appreciate it. If the answers to my questions are in another post, than I apologize as I can't find any answers.
    Last edited by Trackthlete; 07-08-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: fixing errors

kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Trackthlete View Post
    Hi, I am new to a Ketogenic Diet (not to lifting) and I am wondering if this would be detrimental to my health. On my current diet, I am lifting 7 days a week and running 6 miles EVERY day.

If I start my induction phase tomorrow and keep the same workout intensity, would I be depleting my glycogen stores too quickly? I could only imagine that it would be bad for my health. The only thing that I am really concerned about is the induction phase. I hope to get it over with as soon as possible, as I am going on a vacation next week and don't want to have brain "fog". Do you think that if I were to start now and continue running 6 miles/day, that I could quickly transition to fat adap. in roughly a week? **or wait till after my vacation.

I understand that all this cardio can help me enter into a ketogenic state faster, but only to a certain extent. The only thing I'm concerned with is the brain "fog". I think it is important for me to also note that I am currently on an ECA stack which could help with the lack of energy. Thanks for any input, I greatly appreciate it. If the answers to my questions are in another post, than I apologize as I can't find any answers.
    Why are you working out that much? Aren't you worried about THAT hurtin your body? Especially paired with an EC?
    **Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up**

Originally Posted by kickchickbecca View Post
    Why are you working out that much? Aren't you worried about THAT hurtin your body? Especially paired with an EC?
    Surprisingly not, I've built up to this level of intensity over a few years. I'm in great cardio-vascular health, and surprisingly, all of this is working extremely well for me. All my lifts have gone up dramatically, and I've leaned out a lot (12-13%BF). For my body, what I am doing now is great. It's probably just the age I am at (19), but I don't see myself stopping what I am doing anytime soon.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you eat for it, it will be fine.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kickchickbecca has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Atavis View Post
    If you eat for it, it will be fine.
    This
    Just make sure you're gettin enough cals! Remember how much fuel you really need. Good luck dude! You're gna see some wicked results !!!!
    **Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up**

jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Personally I don't think this is a good idea. I say this because what your going to do I have already done. I never believed in over training and thought it was all just laziness. I killed it in the gym every day with weights and cardio (not even as many miles as you). When I say every day I never missed a single day for months. Sure, the first few weeks I got stronger and bigger than I have every been but after a while I started getting weeker. I tried to get as much rest and food as I could but every day it seemed like a battle, one I was losing. It got to the point where several days I could barely do anything in the gym until finally out of exhaustion I just gave up and took a few days off. Came back lifting even heavier and with tons of energy. I definately think Im going to take at least one rest day a week now.

jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jrharvey5923 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Surprisingly not, I've built up to this level of intensity over a few years. I'm in great cardio-vascular health, and surprisingly, all of this is working extremely well for me. All my lifts have gone up dramatically, and I've leaned out a lot (12-13%BF). For my body, what I am doing now is great. It's probably just the age I am at (19), but I don't see myself stopping what I am doing anytime soon.
    Oh your 19. Haha you will probably be ok. I remember when I was that young I could work out all day, every day. Now my body says no lol.

Originally Posted by kickchickbecca View Post
    This
    Just make sure you're gettin enough cals! Remember how much fuel you really need. Good luck dude! You're gna see some wicked results !!!!
    Thanks a lot everyone, really appreciate all the feedback.
    I've decided to start my keto diet tomorrow, I'm sure the lethargy/brain-fog won't be too bad if I am getting enough water, fats, and taking a good multi-vitamin. I'll still be on my ECA stack. Any advice on preventing this "fog" or how long it should normally last? Thanks

thanks for the advice jrharvey, I'm sure once my diet is 100% in check, I'll probably gradually start running less as I progress. The age definitely is a very beneficial factor that many individuals take for granted, ****, I took it for granted haha.

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Any advice on preventing this "fog" or how long it should normally last? Thanks
    10-30 days roughly

Also about the brain fog. I have experienced this hardcore at times and I believe it is mostly due to lack of electrolytes. Im not sure about all the scientific stuff but keto lowers your blood pressure which is why you get the brain fog and when I started drinking a few powerade zero's a day it pretty much removed the problem. Since those drinks get kinda pricey every day I started supplementing potassium and magnesium along with eating more sodium. I don't feel the brain fog at all anymore unless I forget to supplement up.

xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000) xJellyBirdx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jrharvey5923 View Post
    Also about the brain fog. I have experienced this hardcore at times and I believe it is mostly due to lack of electrolytes. Im not sure about all the scientific stuff but keto lowers your blood pressure which is why you get the brain fog and when I started drinking a few powerade zero's a day it pretty much removed the problem. Since those drinks get kinda pricey every day I started supplementing potassium and magnesium along with eating more sodium. I don't feel the brain fog at all anymore unless I forget to supplement up.
    Using sea salt to season your food can help a lot with this. It contains all the trace minerals desired.

Originally Posted by jrharvey5923 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to supplement with potassium tabs and probably magnesium too. I'm already drinking 1.5-2.0 gallons of water a day which is more than enough. And thanks JellyBird, I'll be sure to use sea salt. Sounds affordable while making my food taste better.