want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench Press Grip

Title says it all: how wide do you guys grab the bar?

I tried putting my pinky on the crack but it felt too wide for me.

I'm 5'8 tall and my arms are pretty short (~26 inches)

Anyone else has similar arm lengths and care to share their grip?

Former 134lb Crew machinegunjake's Avatar
    machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000) machinegunjake is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's fairly difficult to describe since not all BBs are made the same. If the one you're using is smooth in the middle, then gets the rough designs, I usually place the first knuckle (from finger tip) right where the bar goes from smooth to rough. Also I'm 5'9
    Army Vet - Iraqi Freedom 08 and Enduring Freedom 11-12.

Detroit Red Wings.

Beard Crew
    Positive Crew
    Misc Fishermen Crew

ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use about shoulder width...same as a pushup

Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Barbells might be different, I put my index on the smooth little rings, but basically you want to have your forearms lined straight up, at the bottom when the bar is on your chest.

The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The6TwoTitan is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ungeheur View Post
    I go off a similar method, that is a great one. To the question; I have 77" reach so I had a different experience when I started benching on a regular basis, I had to adjust the length of the bench etc due to height/range, with that said you have to keep working with it like a science project to find your perfect placement. I'd imagine with a much shorter reach for width/grip you'd want to go closer then the average arm span to hit all of your muscle groups in that area. Grip is different no matter your size I used to try to use 4 fingers and my thumbs under the grip's edge were the meet closest, this changed and I found the putting a full wrap around the bar with both hand's has benefited me more do to length and range of motion. That is my experience though I am much longer, as "ungeheur" stated the push-up is a great point of reference as to where you start and you figure grip from there, Best of luck and God bless.
    Stay Natural, Stay Humble
    !Psalm3!

ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50) ungeheur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Chaosvash View Post
    Barbells might be different, I put my index on the smooth little rings, but basically you want to have your forearms lined straight up, at the bottom when the bar is on your chest.
    I put my ring fingers on the smooth rings, I have a pretty narrow grip at 6 ft I think. OP, find out what is most comfortable and stay consistent with it.

charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) charles1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's hard to describe. If your bar is smooth in the middle I used to put it where if my thumb were pointing at each other they would barely touch the smooth part. This was pretty narrow.

Now I put my pinkies on the rings. Ever since (little after a month) my chest is growing better than it has in a while. Imma keep doing it like this.
    Gym PR's

Squat - 325lbs

Bench - 225lbs paused

Deadlift - 405lbs x 3

want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) want2bstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you all for replies. Ya I used to do pretty narrow like my thumb lined up with right outside inner smooth ring. Today, I tried my pinky on the outer smooth ring.
    I should try to tape myself doing it cuz I found out that my arms should be pointing straight down when I touch the chest with the bar.

xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ungeheur View Post
    This is about right for general chest building . Rippetoe said some where along the lines as this would be best for building muscle and anything wider is better for competition
    "You Will Finally See, That I Am In Truth, The Superior One. The True Alpha Male."

ICF 5x5 since 6/22/13

•Japanese brah•

darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) darrenash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Experiment to find what is best for you. Start with a position where your arms are perpendicular to the ground. Then try sets getting gradually wider. Find the widest point you can use without pain and that works your chest best and that's the position to stick to. Forget about specific points on the bar. Everybody has a different wing-span.
    Love to train.... hate gyms!

sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sh0esmacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The bench press is a compound movment so which muscles gets worked more is relative to the grip width. Wider grip activates more chest muscles. Contrarily, the narrower the grip it recruits more tricep/shoulders.

I'm 5'8" and I grip wider because a bench press is a compound movement, but its primary target is the chest so I maximize it in that sense. Triceps and shoulders are still being worked regardless of grip width but again, its all in relation to the width.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by xxdieharderxx View Post
    This is about right for general chest building . Rippetoe said some where along the lines as this would be best for building muscle and anything wider is better for competition if you use a bench shirt.Benching wide with heavy weight is a great way to get hurt raw.
    Fixed that for you sir.

OP, I personally like my to keep my grip one extended thumb length from the smooth area (pinky on rings on most bars). I find that for me it is a fairly even mix of chest/shoulder/tricep activation with relatively no shoulder issues. There are other ways to work chest without tearin up your shoulders.
    Experience, not just theory

xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xxdieharderxx has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Fixed that for you sir.

OP, I personally like my to keep my grip one extended thumb length from the smooth area (pinky on rings on most bars). I find that for me it is a fairly even mix of chest/shoulder/tricep activation with relatively no shoulder issues. There are other ways to work chest without tearin up your shoulders.

Thanks
    And I bet 95% of the time the person bench pressing is not and does not know how to activate the chest muscle.
    Watch this video to get a better understanding

http://youtu.be/dl6_IJrV004
    "You Will Finally See, That I Am In Truth, The Superior One. The True Alpha Male."

ICF 5x5 since 6/22/13

•Japanese brah•

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When your elbows are at 90° your forearms should be perpendicular to the bar. This will be your strongest position from a leverage standpoint. You can go a little wider to reduce ROM, but any narrower will use more tricep and be weaker.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) adamdavidson47 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I put my ring finger on the lines.
    I remove my shirt to poop crew
    Hookey Pookey crew

Captain Funpants' Poop Log of Excellence:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146431903

Calibrating.. please wait Final_Rep's Avatar
    Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz Final_Rep has the mod powerz
    I vary mine, purposefully. But, what PG said when I am trying for a 1RM.

Sitting in a chair I can move my hands towards and away from my chest, at pec level, and as I flex my pecs I can feel them reach a point of maximum contraction. That position is about a hand's width out from my shoulders on each side.