Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mijass2001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Alcohol Metabolism- Is it true?

I'm training for my second competition and have a friend in the office who shares my love for nutrition and exercise - We've recently gotten onto the discussion of drinking while you're training and he forwards me this link over the weekend...

"5.4 Alcohol metabolism The primary place where alcohol is metabolized is the liver. Liver cells contain ADH, which converts alcohol to acetaldehyde. Other enzymes in turn convert the acetaldehyde to carbon dioxide and water, which are excreted from the body."\

http://science.education.nih.gov/sup...fo-alcohol.htm

He says it's "scientifically impossible for alcohol to convert into fat on the body"

WTH??
    Follow me on ******** at San Diego Miss Fit! Oh, and if you abuse the English language when you message me, you will likely not get a response back.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yes alcohol cannot be stored in the body, your body does everything possible to get rid of it. it suppresses oxidation of any other macronutrients to process the alcohol
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

evidence based poster Terrimonas's Avatar
    Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mijass2001 View Post
    I'm training for my second competition and have a friend in the office who shares my love for nutrition and exercise - We've recently gotten onto the discussion of drinking while you're training and he forwards me this link over the weekend...

"5.4 Alcohol metabolism The primary place where alcohol is metabolized is the liver. Liver cells contain ADH, which converts alcohol to acetaldehyde. Other enzymes in turn convert the acetaldehyde to carbon dioxide and water, which are excreted from the body."\

http://science.education.nih.gov/sup...fo-alcohol.htm

He says it's "scientifically impossible for alcohol to convert into fat on the body"

WTH??
    Acetate, which is what acetaldehyde is metabolized to, can be oxidized OR used as a substrate for de novo lipogenesis. However, DNL being the fate is a fairly small percentage.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Terrimonas View Post
    Acetate, which is what acetaldehyde is metabolized to, can be oxidized OR used as a substrate for de novo lipogenesis. However, DNL being the fate is a fairly small percentage.
    in what situations would this occur?
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

5'8 and proud crew TommyGun1988's Avatar
    Location: london, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    yes alcohol cannot be stored in the body, your body does everything possible to get rid of it. it suppresses oxidation of any other macronutrients to process the alcohol
    So drinking vodka and a diet soda is effectively 0 cal? Bit confused, serious question.
    April 13 - 135lbs 13 percent bf
    Dec 16 - 188lbs 13 percent bf

Train hard eat well and never lose sight of your dreams.
    Quitters quit

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TommyGun1988 View Post
    So drinking vodka and a diet soda is effectively 0 cal? Bit confused, serious question.
    No.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Originally Posted by TommyGun1988 View Post
    this is what i have always been confused about
    alcohol has 7 cals but it cant be stored, so how do those cals count?
    i hope someone more experienced on the subject chimes in
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

5'8 and proud crew TommyGun1988's Avatar
    Location: london, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TommyGun1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rhadam View Post
    No.
    So your body uses alcohol as its primary source of energy while alcohol is present? Like I said I dont really understand, anybody care to inform me?
    April 13 - 135lbs 13 percent bf
    Dec 16 - 188lbs 13 percent bf

Train hard eat well and never lose sight of your dreams.
    Quitters quit

Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Terrimonas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    this is what i have always been confused about
    alcohol has 7 cals but it cant be stored, so how do those cals count?
    i hope someone more experienced on the subject chimes in
    Some can be converted to fatty acids and "stored" I said. Most acetate escapes the liver. What doesn't escape the liver can be acted upon by cytosolic acetyl CoA synthetase I forming Acetyl CoA for use in cytosolic pathways of cholesterol and fatty acid synthesis.

The acetate that escapes the liver can be utilized by various tissues to yield ATP - i.e. energy. And the actual ATP yield varies with the route of alcohol metabolism.

Some can be converted to fatty acids and "stored" I said. Most acetate escapes the liver. What doesn't escape the liver can be acted upon by cytosolic acetyl CoA synthetase I forming Acetyl CoA for use in cytosolic pathways of cholesterol and fatty acid synthesis.

The acetate that escapes the liver can be utilized by various tissues to yield ATP - i.e. energy. And the actual ATP yield varies with the route of alcohol metabolism.
    ya but like you said its rare right?
    so why should we count alcohol as 7 cal when its most likely not contributing
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aaron2686 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I could be totally wrong about this, but I'm going to throw out a guess as to how alcohol calories matter.

My guess is that because the body cannot store most calories from alcohol, and thus metabolizes it as quickly as possible, the alcohol effectively blocks glucose from being metabolized and leaves it sitting in the bloodstream where it is soon stored as fat or glycogen. Basically, if you think of there being a queue of glucose waiting to be burned up, lest it be stored as fat if it sits too long, imagine the alcohol skipping to the front of the line and leaving all the glucose behind to be stored as fat/glycogen.

As I said, this is probably wrong and comically simplistic, but I like to hear myself type.
    "The battle is won in the kitchen. The war is won on the toilet." -Alan Aragon

"I never fcked a 10, but one night I fcked five 2's and I think that should count." -George Carlin

"Fat is the vector by which flavor travels." -my girlfriend

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)

Almost anything can become fat. However, due to the various needs of the body, certain pathways are favored over other ones. An excess of a particular substrate, however, will push a pathway in the other direction (supplying the pathway is reversible). So, to answer OPs question: yes and no. Small amounts of alcohol will not get converted to fat, however abuse of alcohol can cause fat creation to occur. But by that time, you'll probably be having worse issues than fat gain.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

Originally Posted by BookMonkey View Post

Almost anything can become fat. However, due to the various needs of the body, certain pathways are favored over other ones. An excess of a particular substrate, however, will push a pathway in the other direction (supplying the pathway is reversible). So, to answer OPs question: yes and no. Small amounts of alcohol will not get converted to fat, however abuse of alcohol can cause fat creation to occur. But by that time, you'll probably be having worse issues than fat gain.
    which leads me back to my original question of why we calculate alcohol as 7cal
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would have to go back to my biochem textbook, but if I remember right, it has to do with how alcohol dehydrogenase uses up ethanol to convert it into a usable product (ie. acetaldehyde) so that it can be used for other things. Its considered empty calories due to the fact that it carries no other nutrients while still having a caloric value. But like I said, I'd need to go back and read some for a proper answer unless someone else knows off-hand.

Edit: Unless you mean the number itself. That has to do with the burning of the item. The same way protein, carbs, and fats have been averaged.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

Prove you're worth a damn DJohnson's Avatar
    DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000)
    On an empty stomach (and to a lesser extent a full stomach) you'd normally burning fat stores all day/night. Simplified, If you drink 600kcal of alcohol that's 600kcal of fat that won't need to be released/burned in your body. Therefore more or less just like eating 600kcal.
    History: Mar, 2001: 135lbs @ ~14% | Nov, 2004: 245lbs @ ~40% | Dec, 2006: 168lbs @ 5.5%ish | Nov, 2008: 177lbs @ 5.5%ish | Dec, 2016: 179lbs

If you consumed 10 grams of dextrose and all 10 grams were oxidized for energy immediately and none of it was used for glycogenesis, lipogenesis, etc.. and "stored"., would it have zero calories? Of course it wouldn't. Whether or not it has the potential to become "potential" stored energy is irrelevant. The acetate can be oxidized for energy and has caloric value, although 7 kcal/g is an overestimation.

If you consumed 10 grams of dextrose and all 10 grams were oxidized for energy immediately and none of it was used for glycogenesis, lipogenesis, etc.. and "stored"., would it have zero calories? Of course it wouldn't. Whether or not it has the potential to become "potential" stored energy is irrelevant. The acetate can be oxidized for energy and has caloric value, although 7 kcal/g is an overestimation.
    ya i guess that makes sense..
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Somewhat relevant OP, is this article from that Aragon fella, "A Musclehead's Guide to Alcohol": http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_to_alcohol_1

It doesn't completely answer your question because some of it is "Who Knows?" (research is sparse), but it is food for thought, with some benefits/tradeoffs discussion.