jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

These are my 2 options.

Until I am confident to get in gym, I have decided on 2 options. I can either do a full body dumbbell workout or p90x. I have starter dumbbell weights at home (10,15,20,25,30) once 30 lbs become too easy I plan on going to gym. That's why I thought of p90x, it only requires dumbbells & pullup bar,both I already own. But I'm not too fond of yoga & kenpo days. I know a lot of posters don't like p90x, so if the full body dumbbell workout is a better option, I would go that direction. I have read a lot of posts that say I would be wasting my time with p90x. My main goal is to drop my body fat % from mid-high 30's to low 20's. I'm 43, 6'0" 230 lbs. I went grocery shopping, following the nutrition advice in stickies, I plan I getting all my macros and I need to be @2500 calories to be 80% of my TDEE ( I think that's the term) its at over 3,000 calories, but I figured I would cut 20%.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    30 pound dumbbells won't last you all that long, and P90X, well, that's just. Better than these 2 options, would be getting in the gym. In regard to confidence, it could be finding the right gym, bringing someone alone, listening to music, going at the right time, when it's empty, whatever. If you want good results, they'll be better achieved in the gym, and if you're prepared to commit to a program, if you really want results that badly, you should be committed enough to push yourself into the gym. I understand that ain't easy, but it is the best option for you. Aside from that, the dumbbell option would be best, if you hit the max, you could get more weight, or as you said, go to the gym once that's been achieved. P90X won't give you much, 30 pound dumbbells won't get you the whole way, but they're the better start. Best of luck on that, and on your nutrition.

jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdjcky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, yeah 30 lbs won't too long, what type of reps should I be doing 8-10 10-12?

DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DeltaCharlie75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jdjcky View Post
    Thanks, yeah 30 lbs won't too long, what type of reps should I be doing 8-10 10-12?
    Swallow your pride and go to the gym. Everyone has to start somewhere.
    I Recommend this routine
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155009423

Eat at 10-20% calorie deficit and the weight will come off.
    Some more good info for you
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=151032123
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If losing weight will give you the confidence to get in the gym then do the p90x. Just know that after 90 days you will not look like the guys in the ad so don't let that discourage you. And if you don't like the yoga or Kenpo days then don't do them. P90x is just glorified cardio anyways so pick a different type of cardio that day. Running, walking, hiking whatever it takes to get you in a calorie deficit that day. Tabata and complexes can be don with dumbbells so those could be options on those days as well.

While doing the p90x spend some time on the forums and pick out a good beginner program so when you do get in the gym you will have a good basic program to follow. All pro's and starting strength are both good options. Even if you don't do the program starting strength would not be a bad book to buy for the instruction of the big lifts alone. You seem to have figured out the importance of nutrition but the nutrition forum on here can also be very helpful.
    "it's likely one of us will have to spend some days alone"

7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Here is some reading to help you out when you do go to the gym. Very long.

http://www.weightrainer.net/training/rules.html
    "it's likely one of us will have to spend some days alone"

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The first time I squatted in a gym I was only squatting an empty bar. No one cared. People are too busy thinking of themselves to notice or care about what you are doing. Go to the gym, use all of the equipment you need to do the routine you really want to do, and enjoy the training.

Thanks 4 all the advice, I'm so jacked to get started!

zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10) zerocoolflo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You should definitely go to a gym and there's so many reasons why you should do that and I would write them all day long but here's just a few:

1. More motivated - you will see other people, interact, etc
    2. Plenty of diversity in machines, barbells - you can do any exercise
    3. Get out of the house

Also, a good starting program would be Starting Strength.
    If I can help you in any way, send me a message with your thread question or question.

I wish you all a 2021 filled with growth.

Originally Posted by zerocoolflo View Post
    You should definitely go to a gym and there's so many reasons why you should do that and I would write them all day long but here's just a few:

1. More motivated - you will see other people, interact, etc
    2. Plenty of diversity in machines, barbells - you can do any exercise
    3. Get out of the house

Also, a good starting program would be Starting Strength.
    Thanks,great stuff, I've decided to weight train rather than p90x. I will use my dumbbells at home at first, once its too easy to lift them, I will move to gym workouts.