Closed Thread
    Registered User StephanieStacks's Avatar
    StephanieStacks is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Graduate school or doing something I love? ADVICE.

Let's make it short and simple. I am currently an anthropology major, taking on a double-major in women studies. I have been an undergraduate research assistance for a year now. I have an overall GPA of 3.94 and I am 21. I have two jobs, and always been a full-time student (4 courses) a semester. Also, I am taking graduate classes as an undergraduate, which I had to get approval.

BY FAR, this has been my most stressful semester. I cry frequently, I have grown to hate research, and grown this semester, I have had NO time with myself.

I was on the road to compete, and I was doing amazing. In the process, I have loved everything about the human body. I have dreams and aspirations to work within the fitness industry, via trainer or having my own gym. I even got asked to get sponsored by a local gym, but i turned it down.. since I already had a lot on my plate. I regret that.

Basically, I am unhappy where I stand. I have become one of those people that is not doing what they love. If it were up to me, I would either entirely change all majors and go into fitness of some sort. I hate my life and where I am.

Should I continue what I am doing, go to graduate school or whatever approaches. OR should I do something my heart, mind, and body love?

W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) W1LLW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Going to answer your question with advice, and then a question of my own.

The advice is. Why do people go to college? To gain knowledge, higher levels of education, and skills that are ultimately for the purpose of landing them a good job right?

I'm not going to jump down your throat but what do you plan to do with an anthropology/women studies major? Are you interning anywhere? Do you have any connections? How would you use this degree for employment opportunities?

I'm asking because this has "Business Major/Communications Minor" written all over it. AKA I have a degree in professional professionalism for doing professional business things as they pertain to quarterly outcomes of increased efficiency for businesses and business-like activities. AKA nothing.

To be honest, if you're already getting offers from sponsorships at gyms at 21 you probably have a more secure future in the fitness industry than you would ever have with an anthropology major. You could easily build your own instagram following/fanbase advertise products etc etc etc build out your own business, but no one wants to do that because it's scary and doesn't follow the "american dream template.

My dad always said "if you like the arts, get you a job to that supports the arts until the arts can support you". Referring to my siblings that wanted to get degrees in art/theater etc. but in this case your degree choice sounds just as insecure. I matched with a girl on bumble whose profile said "just another poor doctorate student doing what i love". When she explained what she was actually doing I just went NC cause it was the dumbest fuking thing I ever heard. People getting these hyper expensive educations in THE DUMBEST areas of study that offer negative return on investment and I just can't handle it.

DCA'ing FXS since Sept2022
    Kobe Forever
    Black Crew
    Bucks N 6

GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50) GodlikeDra will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have you ever stopped to consider your educational choices at more than 1 angle? Have you checked unemployment percentages, starting salaries, market, demand, future prospects? Strong wtf.

You're studying bullshi t and bullsh it won't get you hired. Ultimately, you're getting educated in order to support or start a business. Your likes and dislikes are only going to come into picture AFTER you ensure the subject matter you're learning will allow you to get employed.

The kind of fitness you're thinking about is volatile and you're (likely, based on what you're doing with your life) extremely uneducated about any aspect of it. This is a lose-lose situation. Looks like you're destined for college grad starbucks crew.
    Last edited by GodlikeDra; 11-05-2016 at 04:12 AM.

GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GraffiZy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Why would you go to Uni to study women studies, holy ****
    “Champions aren´t made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision.”
    - Muhammad Ali

SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SouthDakotaBrah has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    strong comments lmfao

Cherchez la femme...Se si KRANE's Avatar
    KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by W1LLW View Post
    Going to answer your question with advice, and then a question of my own.

The advice is. Why do people go to college? To gain knowledge, higher levels of education, and skills that are ultimately for the purpose of landing them a good job right?

I'm not going to jump down your throat but what do you plan to do with an anthropology/women studies major? Are you interning anywhere? Do you have any connections? How would you use this degree for employment opportunities?
    Actually, not all of that is listed under the purpose of and education. Their lawyers know better.

I'm asking because this has "Business Major/Communications Minor" written all over it. AKA I have a degree in professional professionalism for doing professional business things as they pertain to quarterly outcomes of increased efficiency for businesses and business-like activities. AKA nothing.
    That's not true.

To be honest, if you're already getting offers from sponsorships at gyms at 21 you probably have a more secure future in the fitness industry than you would ever have with an anthropology major. You could easily build your own instagram following/fanbase advertise products etc etc etc build out your own business, but no one wants to do that because it's scary and doesn't follow the "american dream template.

My dad always said "if you like the arts, get you a job to that supports the arts until the arts can support you". Referring to my siblings that wanted to get degrees in art/theater etc. but in this case your degree choice sounds just as insecure. I matched with a girl on bumble whose profile said "just another poor doctorate student doing what i love". When she explained what she was actually doing I just went NC cause it was the dumbest fuking thing I ever heard. People getting these hyper expensive educations in THE DUMBEST areas of study that offer negative return on investment and I just can't handle it.
    All that might make sense from a certain perspective. But ask yourself, what does the brilliant scientist or businessman do to relax once he's wealthy and successful?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/MRFboYE.png[img][QUOTE]
    Originally Posted by StephanieStacks View Post
    Let's make it short and simple. I am currently an anthropology major, taking on a double-major in women studies. I have been an undergraduate research assistance for a year now. I have an overall GPA of 3.94 and I am 21. I have two jobs, and always been a full-time student (4 courses) a semester. Also, I am taking graduate classes as an undergraduate, which I had to get approval.
    I stopped reading. jk

BY FAR, this has been my most stressful semester. I cry frequently, I have grown to hate research, and grown this semester, I have had NO time with myself.
    Some strange images just came to mind.

I was on the road to compete, and I was doing amazing. In the process, I have loved everything about the human body. I have dreams and aspirations to work within the fitness industry, via trainer or having my own gym. I even got asked to get sponsored by a local gym, but i turned it down.. since I already had a lot on my plate. I regret that.

Basically, I am unhappy where I stand. I have become one of those people that is not doing what they love. If it were up to me, I would either entirely change all majors and go into fitness of some sort. I hate my life and where I am.
    You're enthusiastic and apparently a hard worker (I am too), which is great. But what I have learned in all my years is to not bite off more than you can chew. And you appear to have a lot on your plate. Maybe too much?

You want to accomplish a lot of things, but you can't do them all at once. You've been managing thus far, but as you imply, it has not been fruitful.
    Should I continue what I am doing, go to graduate school or whatever approaches. OR should I do something my heart, mind, and body love?
    That's an easy one for me since it represent me now and perhaps you years from now. Get out now before you spend years moving in the wrong direction. Got talk to a counselor and/or therapist. Tell them what you've told us so you get some feedback from a professional.

You can also take a test to determine what you have an aptitude for (if you haven't already), and perhaps you will determine your calling in that. Its just important to be honest with your answers.

Finally, keep in mind that it's great to follow your passion, but you also have to pay the bills. With that in said, always have a Plan B.

For the record, I'm prepping for grad school now, not because I need it, but because I want it. Some people might think its odd, but that has always been one of my life's passions.
    ğŸ¥
    Site oldest post: [url]https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172072283&p=1540411941&viewfull=1#post1540411941[/url]

Filmmaker Thread: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165304201&p=1534834621#post1534834621

Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reliance012 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    DO NOT go to graduate school unless you have a total and absolute passion for the field. That's all I'll say on that.
    "Seen in the light of evolution, biology is, perhaps, intellectually the most satisfying and inspiring science. Without that light it becomes a pile of sundry facts -- some of them interesting or curious but making no meaningful picture as a whole."

kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lol no offense but anthro and women's studies = unemployment, Starbucks, or teaching. I would not continue the damage via grad school unless the grad degree is in something more applicable. Also, fitness industry is pretty competitive. I feel like there's not a whole lot of careers in the industry unless you own something or are top 1% athlete.

KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KRANE has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kizzoboy View Post
    Lol no offense but anthro and women's studies = unemployment, Starbucks, or teaching.
    Not at all a bad career choice.
    I would not continue the damage via grad school unless the grad degree is in something more applicable.
    Any suggestions?
    Also, fitness industry is pretty competitive. I feel like there's not a whole lot of careers in the industry unless you own something or are top 1% athlete.
    I'd agree very saturated. Unless you've got something very special to offer, and some killer social networking skills.
    Last edited by KRANE; 11-06-2016 at 09:17 PM.
    ğŸ¥
    Site oldest post: [url]https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172072283&p=1540411941&viewfull=1#post1540411941[/url]

Filmmaker Thread: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165304201&p=1534834621#post1534834621

kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50) kizzoboy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd just get a grad degree into something more likely to translate into a career. Accounting, finance, MBA, MPA, etc.

Originally Posted by kizzoboy View Post
    I'd just get a grad degree into something more likely to translate into a career. Accounting, finance, MBA, MPA, etc.
    That's great and certainly lucrative, but you're forgetting about aptitude. If your has its foundation in art, you can't just flip a switch and change it to math. We can't all be business majors.
    Last edited by KRANE; 11-06-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    ğŸ¥

whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) whitepaper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Reliance012 View Post
    DO NOT go to graduate school unless you have a total and absolute passion for the field. That's all I'll say on that.
    This.

No offense, Op, but what the fuk were you thinking taking the majors you're taking. They are generally vapid and hold no meaning, and don't lead to many job prospects. Your best bet with those majors is research/academia and not much else, unless you pivot to law or something of the sort.

I really hope you didn't take those courses to simply get close to women, and completely end up fuking yourself over in the end.

With all the above being said:

You're only 21, you're essentially ahead of your average peers heading down the same career path/track. You've clearly bitten off more than you can chew, and you need to find a balance, or else this will never, and I mean never, work.
    As I said, you're ahead of your peers. Round out the rest of this year, graduate, take 6-12 months off, and reassess your options again. You can afford to take time to relax, and think, and not commit to a choice in haste. You're clearly stressed, and would be making a decision under a more emotional state. Whether it turns out to be the right or wrong decision doesn't really matter; never make an emotional decision when you can afford to think clearly at a later time. And that's where I'd say you currently stand.

You can afford to wait until you can look at your options objectively.

And if you do go the academic route, be sure to balance your life more, or else you will continue to burn out over and over again, until you truly snap, and go full banana. Then the misc will have another crazy added to its legends of sexually repressed mass killers.
    2014 Misc Resolution: Negging no pics (screen captures of text don't count as pics)

HairyWBush Reps for life - Hamster Compassion: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181804893

Democrats are terrorists cncman's Avatar
    cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) cncman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    my .02

grad school is terrible and I hate it
    "If you don't vote for me you ain't black!" - Plantation Joe Biden

Wreck em
    Hook em
    Glory to Aubernia!

Originally Posted by cncman View Post
    my .02

grad school is terrible and I hate it
    Would you care to elaborate?

Grad school is for people who love what they're doing and want to contribute.
    ğŸ¥

TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000) TheNextGOAT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Go to grad school for something you care about. Acquire that doctorate and figure it out later
    *New York City crew
    *Yankees crew
    *Persian crew
    *French Canadian crew
    *Mixed crew
    *If you can't dance you're beta crew
    *Long legs or GTFO crew
    *Atheist crew
    *Cat Owner crew

jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This has to be a troll thread...

Women's studies and anthropology? And in the misc no less...

Confirmed troll thread
    PM me for workout advice Ladies
    * Conservative Crew *
    â¤King Brady Bearer of the 6 Rings Crewâ¤
    BvB
    *Bigger chest than female miscers Crew*
    *Team Putin*