Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100)

beginning powerlifting

Hey bb.com this may be a long post.

I've been lifting fully for nearly 9 months, more seriously the past 6 months. I didn't read enough in the first 3 months so I think (feel free to correct me) that I've gone past the noob 'full body' routines like SS and SL5x5.

I'm currently on a Wendler program, using Wendler for my main lift, a 5x5 lift as a secondary then some bodybuilding style lifts for a max of 8 reps.

In my gym I'm like the strongest teen, (I'm 17) and I (think) IMO I've made some decent strength gains.

S - 150kg
    D - 200kg
    B - 100-110kg

Now I really like to be the guy shifting heavy weight in the gym, I have 2 friends I train with and they do body-building style training, lots of isolation at 10 reps or more, and I get such a buzz deadlifting 4 plates either side while their doing light hyper extensions for reps, but that's just the situation at my gym.

I'm training at a gym owned by pro bodybuilder 'Anth Bailes' so their isn't a lot of mentoring/guidance on powerlifting.

I'm VERY interested in being a powerlifter... however.

No disrespect, but I don't want to be a massive lard arse with a huge gut, but I don't want to be ripped at 4% body fat with veins where my biceps should be.

So, I've looked at a few routines (mainly westside and wendler as their like what appear to be the most popular routines) and I kind of understand them, but my issues are I still want to be hitting biceps and lateral delts and stuff, I'd still like to have a pretty decent (not necessarily an extremely aesthetic) body.

Can anyone in this section give me any advice guidance, or even if they have the time, to help me 1 on 1 setting up a routine for me ?

much appreciated.

NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NorthStrong has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stick to 5/3/1 if you are making gains man. If you want to do curls and lateral raises, throw one in at the end of bench day, one in at the end of press day for 3x10. Simple man. Pressing and benching hits the delts decently too. Stick to it.

Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100) Naturalcalum is not very well liked. (-100)
    So is there any particular changes I should make to my split, to make it more powerlifting oreintated?, I've added chains to my CGBP so far.

jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50) jbealsrmt will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Naturalcalum View Post
    No disrespect, but I don't want to be a massive lard arse with a huge gut, but I don't want to be ripped at 4% body fat with veins where my biceps should be.
    None taken... That seems to be the trend these days, especially among raw lifters. Look at Dan Green, Jay Nera, Konstantinov, Pete Rubish, Stan Efferding, etc. Heck, even Mark Bell has dropped a ton of weight and gotten pretty shredded... Too many guys to name who are taking this route now.

So, I've looked at a few routines (mainly westside and wendler as their like what appear to be the most popular routines) and I kind of understand them, but my issues are I still want to be hitting biceps and lateral delts and stuff, I'd still like to have a pretty decent (not necessarily an extremely aesthetic) body.
    First, whatever routine you pick, do it for at least 6 months. Second, buy Wendler's books. They are cheap and will have all the info you need to gear your training towards powerlifting. There are even variations that include lots of aesthetic work. Third, you could just add some supersets to work your delts/biceps/triceps at the end of each upper body training session. Doing 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps of isolation stuff once or twice a week isn't going to hurt your strength gains but will give you all the work you need to be satisfied with your arms.

Lastly, your physique is almost entirely the product of your diet. If you overeat and stuff yourself with crappy food, you'll look crappy. If you eat nothing but lean meats, fish, nuts, and vegetables, you'll be ripped but probably pretty weak. Find the balance that suits you.

Good luck!

SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SovietPrime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    periodise appropriately. You may follow 5/3/1 and up the volume on the assistance exercises occasionally and add in the curls, if you so desire.

Another alternative is to train in phases. For example, you have a high volume low intensity hypertrophy phase lasting a week, 2 days, or one day (your choice) followed by 2-3 weeks of strength training where the intensity rises and volume goes down. Then, you dial back to hypertrophy and start the cycle all over again. I must warn you to be careful when designing a program like this though. It requires some understanding of volume-intensity relationships and your own physiology. Do some research on the internet. There are MANY MANY routines out there and some might just appeal to you. A few good names are Joe Defranco, Christian Thibaudeau, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate, Charles Poliquin, Bill Starr. There are many more, but at the moment these are the ones I can remember.

Some powerlifters are fat because they choose to be (especially in the heavyweight classes). Look at those in the lower weight classes. They have a rock solid physique. If you just eat clean and maintain your bodyfat at around 12-17%, you should be fine.

tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000) tom11 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SovietPrime View Post
    periodise appropriately. You may follow 5/3/1 and up the volume on the assistance exercises occasionally and add in the curls, if you so desire.

Another alternative is to train in phases. For example, you have a high volume low intensity hypertrophy phase lasting a week, 2 days, or one day (your choice) followed by 2-3 weeks of strength training where the intensity rises and volume goes down. Then, you dial back to hypertrophy and start the cycle all over again. I must warn you to be careful when designing a program like this though. It requires some understanding of volume-intensity relationships and your own physiology. Do some research on the internet. There are MANY MANY routines out there and some might just appeal to you. A few good names are Joe Defranco, Christian Thibaudeau, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate, Charles Poliquin, Bill Starr. There are many more, but at the moment these are the ones I can remember.

Some powerlifters are fat because they choose to be (especially in the heavyweight classes). Look at those in the lower weight classes. They have a rock solid physique. If you just eat clean and maintain your bodyfat at around 12-17%, you should be fine.
    Excellent post. Contrary to popular belief, powerlifting is not only 1-3 reps, you need to have some periods of higher reps to build some muscle volume. Then after you build the muscle you can "teach" your CNS to use it by incorporating a higher intensity phase, roughly. Remember kids, it is VERY hard to increase strength without adding LBM.