KiltedGoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I can't do a pull up, and I'm getting discouraged.

So my new years' resolution was to be able to do 5 pull ups by next new years. It's July already and I still can only do half a pull up. It's weird because I can hang with my chin above the bar for over a minute. I go to the gym and use the assisted pull up machine, and I take as many breaks as I need to but I don't leave until I have done 20. I am down to 30 lbs of resistance. The weights are weird though so the next one down is 15, and I can't do any at that weight yet. I also have one of those reebok adjustable dumbells that I do rows and curls with...I don't think I can have a pull up bar in my apartment because there isn't room above the door frame to hang one and I also can't drill holes...

The gym I go to is actually REALLY nice. It has all sorts of weights and machines and even a rock wall, but I'm really weak and I'm intimidated by all the weights with big muscle guys around them. What are some other exercises I can do at the gym or even in my room that can help me?

Will push ups help?

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Pull ups are hard, can you do any chin ups?
    I started off doing chin ups with a resistance band, the thickest one, and worked my way to using the thinnest, then to no band. I can now do 3 sets of 8-10 with no band. Going to start weighted this week.
    Pull ups I'm not that good at, 3 sets of 3-4. But I worked my way up doing the same as I did for chin ups.
    I also do them 2-3 times a week.
    Strengthening your back and shoulders will help, also, do them first thing in your work out, don't save them for last.

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I also wanted to add that I did the above in about 14 weeks.
    Just keep hammering away at them and you'll get there.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't worry OP, you'll get there, keep at it. Are you trying negatives as well? A lot of people around here swear by those to progress to full blown pull ups. I've been injured before and used the assisted one like you are to build back up to regular bw pull ups, worked fine IMO. Also build up your back and lats, yes pushups could help a little with lats but honestly the movements I'd focus on would be bent over bb rows, db rows, lat pulldowns, and bench press. I wouldn't worry too much about isolation exercises (forget the curls) focus on the big compounds and you should get strong enough overall to lift your bw on pull ups and chin ups. (Are you able to do chin ups at all? What about neutral grip - hands with palms pointed in towards each other?)

Lol sounds like you go to the same gym as me with the rock wall - LTF.

Oh and get over the intimidation thing, trust me, no one in there is paying attention to you or cares if you can row 10lbers or the 90lbers. If it bothers you that much then go during non peak hours and if that is my gym that place is huge, should be plenty of space to set up without people crowding you or getting in the way. You pay the fees to have a nice gym, use whatever you want in it.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try starting with lat pulldowns. Then try using resistance bands and do assisted chin ups. Then try dead hangs and negatives. I even used to hang at the top before the negatives. Try first with supinated grip, then parallel, then over hand grip. Over time, you will be able to do it, you just need to progress slowly and steadily.

plum84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't do one either, it's one of my goals for this year.

I havent got a resistance band yet, I have tried them in the past and they are good to help out.

I use the lat pull down machine, 2-3 times a week, I go as heavy as I can and do as many reps, I then try to beat those reps the next time even if it's only by 1, I still beat it.

I then up the weight when I get to 15 reps (this depends on your machine and the weight incraments on it) and this will take me back to about 5-8 reps where I start over until I can up the weight till it matches by body weight.

Negatives are good whether on the bar or using the lap pull down-killer!!!

XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50) XXbrittXX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just got myself back up to doing 6-8 pull-ups after having not done any in about 6 months. I did alot of reverse pull ups on the trx bands or negatives. Where you lay under the band and pull yourself up. I did those 3 times a week / 3-5 sets of 10-12 and I noticed they really helped

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm going to be honest (and make myself sound like a royal jerk in the process), but I think the main thing holding back most people at a normal or light weight from doing pull ups is mental. This is just based on personal experience. There's a prevailing attitude that guys can do pull ups and girls can't, because guys are naturally stronger than girls. Being that when I first started lifting I frequently lost in arm wrestles to girls who had barely hit puberty (not kidding or exaggerating at all), and yet there's never been a time when I couldn't do a pull up, it seems to me that the amount of strength or muscle mass required to do a pull up isn't very high (in fact, since muscle mass contains weight, it can be a liability for bodyweight strength). Again, this is just personal experience. It's not my intention to deny or negate your own experience OP, but I want to get you thinking: when you attempt a pull up, how hard are you really trying? Have you ever trained for a 1RM on anything? If you have, you'll have a good idea of how much effort you'll need to put in to get your first pull up, because if you really can't do a pull up, then making it to 1 will be performing a 1RM.

Some exercises I'd recommend:

- Eccentric pull ups: You don't have to do a lot of reps on these. Instead of building up reps, build up duration of each rep. You could even start adding weight (1.25kg/2.5lb at a time).
    - Lat pull downs: These are often frowned upon for pull up training, basically because they don't perfectly replicate pull ups. That's a silly attitude to have, but if we're going to take that attitude, I'd still recommend these over band-assisted pull ups, as the band throws the line of force out. They still teach you how to pull, and having your legs anchored down makes them good for practicing high intensity (85% or more or 1RM) sets. The assisted pull up machine doesn't have the same benefit, although it is good for practicing the movement. My pull ups were at their best when my assistance work included 1-3RM lat pull downs followed by 8-15 rep sets at about 75% of the top weight. Note that technique takes precedence over weight moved, so if you're rounding your chest instead of lifting your chest in order to move the weight further, take the weight back a notch.
    - Rows: Possibly a better back exercise than pull ups, if I'm going to be honest. Like with lat pull downs, learn how to do these close to a 1RM, if for no other reason than to get used to the kind of effort required, and then do some higher rep volume work. Being able to maintain a high degree of technique while close to your max is important, so it's more important in my books that you choose the row variation that is easiest for you to do properly than the one that has the most textbook carry-over.
    - Isolation work: Do as you feel necessary. Not engaging your lats very well? Might be worth working on straight-arm lat pull downs. Not engaging your lower traps very well? Might be worth working on prone-lying straight-arm shoulder extensions. Biceps too weak? Might be worth doing some curls. Grip not getting you there? Might be worth doing some farmer's walks. I won't prescribe that you do any isolation work, but I will prescribe that you use some wisdom and consider whether or not you need some isolation work beyond your compound movements. Something you might find surprisingly helpful is glute work. Because the lats and glutes are connected to each other via the thoracco-lumbar fascia (collagen sheath across the lower back). Contracting both the glutes and lats at the same time gives each muscle greater anchorage, potentially increasing force output in the working muscle. This is stuff to polish things off, though, like leg drive in the bench press.
    - Antagonist work: Do plenty of pushing. It won't help much directly, but there should be a fairly even amount of pushing and pulling in your program to keep your body functioning.
    - I'm not sure how I feel about deadlifts as something to help your pull ups. Technically, they work every muscle involved in the pull up, and under far greater load than a pull up can provide. However, I've generally found that if I'm really focused on getting my pull ups stronger, it won't occur at the same time as improving my deadlifts, and vice versa. Your mileage may vary.

Make sure that your whole program is balanced, and that you're spreading your workload appropriately throughout the week. Whether that means doing an A/B split, upper/lower, leg/push/pull etc is smaller detail than keeping the whole week's worth of training in balance. Make sure that you're practicing good technique, learning to pull with the right muscles, and learning to exert high levels of effort. Make sure that you're practicing higher rep training (8-15 reps) to practice the movement pattern and develop basic technique, and that you're practicing lower rep training (1-5 reps) to maintain technique as the intensity increases and to experience efforts close to a 1RM, so that when you get under the pull up bar you're prepared to pull with all your might.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Grease the Groove. Greatly increase frequency with extremely low volume.

The easiest way to grease the groove is to place a pull up bar in a commonly passed doorway. Every time you pass through the doorway, make one concentric attempt, followed by an eccentric (negative).

24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you are carrying extra bodyfat, losing weight will greatly improve your ability to do pull ups.

Bellemichelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's it, I'm getting pull up bar. You've sold me.

Pull ups are my one and only goal!

Thx.

Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post

The easiest way to grease the groove is to place a pull up bar in a commonly passed doorway. Every time you pass through the doorway, make one concentric attempt, followed by an eccentric (negative).

If you are carrying extra bodyfat, losing weight will greatly improve your ability to do pull ups.

pomcounseling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink Pull up prep

I could never do a pull up then my then bf started strapping weight plates to my waist. I remember struggling and struggling to get one with the plates on. Once he took the weight off I was repping wide grip controlled pull ups out like crazy. Just keep at it and there are so many things you can try like other people said the resistance band, lat pull downs, and adding weight. Just find what works for you.

Good Luck!!!
    Happy and Health Day!

Rits

srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50) srb04e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KiltedGoat View Post
    So my new years' resolution was to be able to do 5 pull ups by next new years. It's July already and I still can only do half a pull up. It's weird because I can hang with my chin above the bar for over a minute. I go to the gym and use the assisted pull up machine, and I take as many breaks as I need to but I don't leave until I have done 20. I am down to 30 lbs of resistance. The weights are weird though so the next one down is 15, and I can't do any at that weight yet. I also have one of those reebok adjustable dumbells that I do rows and curls with...I don't think I can have a pull up bar in my apartment because there isn't room above the door frame to hang one and I also can't drill holes...

The gym I go to is actually REALLY nice. It has all sorts of weights and machines and even a rock wall, but I'm really weak and I'm intimidated by all the weights with big muscle guys around them. What are some other exercises I can do at the gym or even in my room that can help me?

Will push ups help?
    Try developing your lats more... Do lat pull downs, also try some negative lag pull downs, and (I'm not sure what the proper name is im having a brain fart) straight arm cable lat pulls. ( at the cables get a straight bar, step back a little, and with arms straight pull bar back down towards your hips using your lats)
    IFBB Bikini Pro
    NFPT & NESTA Certified Personal Trainer
    CEO BamBody Nutrition
    Official Formutech Nutrition Athlete
    Www.formutechnutrition.com

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    I'm going to be honest (and make myself sound like a royal jerk in the process), but I think the main thing holding back most people at a normal or light weight from doing pull ups is mental. This is just based on personal experience. There's a prevailing attitude that guys can do pull ups and girls can't, because guys are naturally stronger than girls. Being that when I first started lifting I frequently lost in arm wrestles to girls who had barely hit puberty (not kidding or exaggerating at all), and yet there's never been a time when I couldn't do a pull up, it seems to me that the amount of strength or muscle mass required to do a pull up isn't very high (in fact, since muscle mass contains weight, it can be a liability for bodyweight strength). Again, this is just personal experience. It's not my intention to deny or negate your own experience OP, but I want to get you thinking: when you attempt a pull up, how hard are you really trying? Have you ever trained for a 1RM on anything? If you have, you'll have a good idea of how much effort you'll need to put in to get your first pull up, because if you really can't do a pull up, then making it to 1 will be performing a 1RM.

Some exercises I'd recommend:

- Eccentric pull ups: You don't have to do a lot of reps on these. Instead of building up reps, build up duration of each rep. You could even start adding weight (1.25kg/2.5lb at a time).
    - Lat pull downs: These are often frowned upon for pull up training, basically because they don't perfectly replicate pull ups. That's a silly attitude to have, but if we're going to take that attitude, I'd still recommend these over band-assisted pull ups, as the band throws the line of force out. They still teach you how to pull, and having your legs anchored down makes them good for practicing high intensity (85% or more or 1RM) sets. The assisted pull up machine doesn't have the same benefit, although it is good for practicing the movement. My pull ups were at their best when my assistance work included 1-3RM lat pull downs followed by 8-15 rep sets at about 75% of the top weight. Note that technique takes precedence over weight moved, so if you're rounding your chest instead of lifting your chest in order to move the weight further, take the weight back a notch.
    - Rows: Possibly a better back exercise than pull ups, if I'm going to be honest. Like with lat pull downs, learn how to do these close to a 1RM, if for no other reason than to get used to the kind of effort required, and then do some higher rep volume work. Being able to maintain a high degree of technique while close to your max is important, so it's more important in my books that you choose the row variation that is easiest for you to do properly than the one that has the most textbook carry-over.
    - Isolation work: Do as you feel necessary. Not engaging your lats very well? Might be worth working on straight-arm lat pull downs. Not engaging your lower traps very well? Might be worth working on prone-lying straight-arm shoulder extensions. Biceps too weak? Might be worth doing some curls. Grip not getting you there? Might be worth doing some farmer's walks. I won't prescribe that you do any isolation work, but I will prescribe that you use some wisdom and consider whether or not you need some isolation work beyond your compound movements. Something you might find surprisingly helpful is glute work. Because the lats and glutes are connected to each other via the thoracco-lumbar fascia (collagen sheath across the lower back). Contracting both the glutes and lats at the same time gives each muscle greater anchorage, potentially increasing force output in the working muscle. This is stuff to polish things off, though, like leg drive in the bench press.
    - Antagonist work: Do plenty of pushing. It won't help much directly, but there should be a fairly even amount of pushing and pulling in your program to keep your body functioning.
    - I'm not sure how I feel about deadlifts as something to help your pull ups. Technically, they work every muscle involved in the pull up, and under far greater load than a pull up can provide. However, I've generally found that if I'm really focused on getting my pull ups stronger, it won't occur at the same time as improving my deadlifts, and vice versa. Your mileage may vary.

Make sure that your whole program is balanced, and that you're spreading your workload appropriately throughout the week. Whether that means doing an A/B split, upper/lower, leg/push/pull etc is smaller detail than keeping the whole week's worth of training in balance. Make sure that you're practicing good technique, learning to pull with the right muscles, and learning to exert high levels of effort. Make sure that you're practicing higher rep training (8-15 reps) to practice the movement pattern and develop basic technique, and that you're practicing lower rep training (1-5 reps) to maintain technique as the intensity increases and to experience efforts close to a 1RM, so that when you get under the pull up bar you're prepared to pull with all your might.
    Good advice!

I keep reading about Grease the Groove but have not looked into it yet. It's Pavel's idea, right? Does it also work for adding volume? I can do chin ups and pull ups just fine but have never been able to do more than 10 in a row (BW). Would GTG work to help increase volume?

EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000)

Cool

Bam!
    This is how I learned pull ups after bootcamp. I put a bar in the bathroom doorframe and had to at least do a negative before/after using it. It was a pain in the butt. I actually wasn't even lifting or going to a gym at all at that point. Just running and attempting pull/chin ups. After a couple of months I could do 5-6 chins and 2 pull ups. These days I'm a pull up machine lol. I really believe the negatives and frequency helped. There isn't as much strength involved as it seems. It's playing a mental game of "I think I can I think I can" too. There've been plenty of times that I've kipped or bicycled my way up just so you always get one.

gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000) gailh is a name known to all. (+5000)
    2 years ago I couldn't do any either. now I can do 5-6 with what I consider very good form...dead hangs. the only thing I can tell you is practice, practice then practice somemore. the feeling you will get the first time you pull your chin over the bar is amazing and makes it all worthwhile! youll get there..

getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) getgoinggirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I haven't been able to eek one out unassisted yet either. BUT I am the little engine that could and I will master it eventually! For now I just keep practicing, which to the casual observer at the gym, looks like me hanging like a slab of beef from the pullup bar hehe

BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000) BeFit62 is just really nice. (+1000)
    it takes time, eventually you will be able to do them

24Days! ABBA Muscle Beach girlsagymaholic's Avatar
    girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000) girlsagymaholic is just really nice. (+1000)
    They are hard, and to master them in a time frame of only 6 months if you have little to no prior strength training is hard [not sure if you've been training or just started in the new year?]. I have been training for 2 years and just started doing them for reps. It takes A LOT of strength to pull up your body weight up. I can easily do 6-10 pull ups at competition weight [126lbs] but now at 132 I'm having a hard time doing 4! lol. It comes with time, practice and training!

I also agree, a lot of it is mental OR not knowing how to properly use your muscle to pull yourself up. Doing pull up specific exercises will definitely help!
    █ ♥ █ ***Canadian Crew***
    Instagram: _smash_ley_
    ABBA-NABC June 1, 2013
    ABBA-Muscle Beach Oct. 2013 3.5 weeks out!

lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lee168 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Going to keep this simple.

Resistant bands provide maximum support when you are at the bottom of your pull-up, and they provide the least help at the top of your pull-up.

Loads of people have stated using resistant bands. These are by far superior to the assisted machine so the bands require more of "you" pulling yourself through space.

Hope this helps
    The fastest full body routine:

Deadlift 5x5 - 315
    Squat 5x5 - 286
    Dips 5x5 - BW + 100
    Pull ups 5x5 - BW + 77

Goal:
    To double the above:

chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't feel too down! When I first started I couldn't do one either! But I lost some weight, gained some muscle, and a year later I can rep em' out! You'll get it!

Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000) Paneetius is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do negatives. Jump up into the top position and lower yourself as slow as possible.

U will soon progress to pullups.
    In conjunction with negatives. Do chin ups as well.
    ♛ PUNK AESTHETICS CREW™ ♛
    +@sian crew♫
    ALPHA MANLET CREW (AMC) MANLET4LYYFFEEEE!!!
    ++ Positive Crew ++
    *~*Montreal Misc Crew*~*
    *no fap, no porn crew*

OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) OhhComplex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am down to 30 lbs of resistance. The weights are weird though so the next one down is 15, and I can't do any at that weight
    As someone mentioned resistance bands are great and the best way but you could do weighted negatives or even use the 30lb resistance setting and put a 5lb dumbell in your feet.
    If you want another workout that will help I would say lat pull downs would probably be your best bet.

Good luck!

AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50) AvgLifter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Goat, don't worry about the other people at the gym and being intimidated. Listen to me! Nobody there was born looking like a bodybuilder - they are all working hard to stay in shape or to get in shape. Everyone is either in the process of getting in shape or maintaining their shape. Everyone has to start somewhere.

FYI, I'm a guy (saw this thread title when I came to the site today and thought I'd post), and I just had back surgery a few months ago. If you think it is weird for a girl to not be strong, then imagine what it must feel like to be lifting less than half of what you used to, AND just being out-deadlifted by a girl yesterday! The old me would have tried to jump the gun and lift more, but not anymore - I'm taking things slow and am progressing. I just smiled when I saw her lift as much as she did. Just like that, you have to remember that everyone has to start somewhere. Nobody is getting to 225 without being able to do 135 first. Just like that, no one is going to be able to do 10 pullups without being able to do 1. Progress is progress! You said it yourself that you are down to only using 30 lbs of resistance now. That is a huge accomplishment. Congrats!

Cara made a great suggestion - using a resistance band. You just have to be careful when getting on and off of it.

I'll also suggest trying barbell rows and dumbbell rows, if you are not doing them already.

sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50) sgtpeppers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Last time I tried to do an assisted pull up, I got a foot cramp and had to stop.

...this is my life.
    ت

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Will push ups help?
    Can you bench press your body weight? If not, are you discouraged and frustrated because if it? In a pullup you are pulling your entire body weight. Are there any other upper body lifts where you can use a weight as heavy as you are? Overhead shoulder press? Biceps curl? I am just trying to put things in perspective for you, here.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sy, that does put it a bit in perspective.

Personally, I suck at pull-ups. When I'm lean(er) and do them daily I can eventually get 3 or so. The minute I put some weight on or don't do them for 1-2 weeks, it's back to square one. Meh, I stopped caring. I am way better at other things.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post
    Sy, that does put it a bit in perspective.

Personally, I suck at pull-ups. When I'm lean(er) and do them daily I can eventually get 3 or so. The minute I put some weight on or don't do them for 1-2 weeks, it's back to square one. Meh, I stopped caring. I am way better at other things.
    Strength needs time to develop. I always find it interesting that nobody would start a thread "I can't shoulder press my body weight and I am ready to give up" but we have so many "I can't do a pull up and am ready to give up".
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Location: Gateshead, Tyne And Wear, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Paneetius View Post
    Do negatives. Jump up into the top position and lower yourself as slow as possible.

U will soon progress to pullups.
    In conjunction with negatives. Do chin ups as well.
    My trainer has me doing these in order to build up to proper pull-ups. She has me aiming to make the movement last 30 seconds, staying as high as possible for as long as possible. I've only just started so can't really comment on it's effectiveness, but the principle makes lots of sense to me

Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    Can you bench press your body weight? If not, are you discouraged and frustrated because if it? In a pullup you are pulling your entire body weight. Are there any other upper body lifts where you can use a weight as heavy as you are? Overhead shoulder press? Biceps curl? I am just trying to put things in perspective for you, here.
    Good point. Ill have to remember that the next time that I get discouraged about the number of chin/pull ups I can do.