Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10) okiegrl10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Women Lifting Around Men at the Gym

I've finally lost the extra 15 lbs I've been wanting to lose since having my 3rd baby last year. Now, I'm ready to get toned and lean!

Do any of you feel uncomfortable lifting around men? I workout in a really small gym, and am often the only woman in there when I workout. I am so uncomfortable about going over there and lifting around the guys in there for some reason. How do you ladies deal with that? Is anyone else uncomfortable about it? I usually stick to the cardio machines, ab machines and leg machines and steer clear of the benches and free weights, but I really want to do those too. I know I have to get over that if I really want to accomplish my goal of getting toned and lean.

I just need some motivation to get beyond that! Have any of you felt this way before? How did you get yourself past it?

Yet a fluffy MarshMallow Ma110W's Avatar
    Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ma110W is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Everybody feels intimidated at the gym when they first start. Even they guys.

You just have to go in there and do your thing. After a little while you will build up your confidence and you'll walk in that weight section like you own it.

Also, just put in your earbuds and get in the zone.

brwnsugar2007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Its Awesome!

I started like that, but I was active duty army when I started and most guys, at least the ones I came across are inclined to help for whatever reason but once I started adding weight I'd get complimented! Some guys are insecure and if they think you belong on a cardio machine screw em! Weights are so fun! Eventually you'll zone out and think your the only one in the gym lol! Good luck and LIFT BIG!!

Location: Gateshead, Tyne And Wear, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) violetelectric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I find the free weights room pretty intimidating, and avoid it altogether at peak times. Saturday and sunday afternoons are great at my gym because you get access to all the equipment you'd normally have to fight for, and there's less of an audience. On bad days every person that passes me does a double-take, and it can be very off-putting.

I'm hoping I'll be less intimidated when I'm more familiar with the equipment and the amounts I can lift. Then I can just breeze in there and comfortably ignore everybody else.... I've already had to overcome my fear of using the weights machines which they've cunningly placed directly outside the male changing room :/

JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel the same way, and I am a man. It certainly is an odd environment to get used to. I've gone for years, and still am uncomfortable going when it is busy. Tougher for women, I am sure, but men look at men in a judging manner, too. lol

Just ignore them and go do what you gotta do.
    "You can always be thinner... look better"
    Patrick Bateman

SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKnewbie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have found it hard but tried to suck it up. I still hate going in peak hours which at a gym on a military post, its even worse than a commercial gym. Most of the guys have the same schedule, so I try and work around it. I have found the more you're there, the more comfortable you feel. I have heard of people talking to others in the gym and I never do that or had anyone talk to me other than the occasional "excuse me" or "are you done with your set?" Well, one time this creeper mentioned how white my shoes were and that he was impressed. Weird random comment

I must have a mean demeanor in the gym, but I am just thinking about nothing but my sets. Its kind of nice to have one point in the day where I don't think about anything else.
    CURRENT gym fun goals:
    complete unassisted pull-ups (status- 5 reps w/assistance)

OVERALL GOAL: Be Stronger than yesterday, in mind & body.

FROM NEWBIE TO EXPERT, ONE DAY AT A TIME! -noob status still stands

Proud military spouse and all that comes with this unpredictable life!

damnitsarah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    mmmm I don't know? I just go in there, do my thing, and leave . Instead of feeling intimidaded you should feel powerful! How many women would rather choose to lounge around cardio machines instead of doing some bada$$ workout? Feel proud! You have every right to be there lifting as any other person who pays for the gym membership. And personally, I look up to all the women out there setting an example! GIRL POWER!

danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) danap3681 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I go to a small gym and am usually the only woman lifting weights. From my experience they don't pay much attention to others in there. Just go do your thing. Next thing you know you will be like me and working in on sets with them.

You are all there to do one thing. Just do it!
    **DIRTYSOUTHCREW**
    #sizeistheprizeswoleisthegoal

anonymous
    Maybe at first I was a little unsure, but I finally decided to dive right into the testosterone pit- I really enjoy using free weights, and getting more comfortable with the hack squat and smith machines. Earbuds in, grab weights and GO! They aren't paying any attention to us anyway! ;-)

missjackie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was pretty scared at first. My local gym is pretty small, so the first time I decided to lift, I went at night when there was nobody there. After I got a grasp on what I was doing (form, etc.), I didn't feel that anxious. I have no problem lifting around guys anymore. They won't bother you at all, so don't worry too much about it!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Focus on yourself and your workout. The people around you don't care what you're doing, because they're normally focused on their own routines.

You'll be fine, have fun!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000)
    Funny - I was just having a conversation with someone at the gym today about this.

When I first started lifting 30 years ago, you saw NO women in the weight room whatsoever. And the guys really felt I had no business being there, and they did everything in their power to drum me out. It was clear I was serious about my workouts - wasn't coming in perfumed and done up. Still, some of the guys were brutal. Didn't dissuade me, however.

Now, things are a LOT different. I see 80-year old seniors and 15-year old girls using 3 pound dumbbells. The weight room is no longer some Neanderthal knuckle-dragging den.

You have every right to be there, and NO ONE is judging you, how you look, what you're wearing, what you're lifting... I love seeing women that you wouldn't traditionally expect in a weight room. Girl power and all that. lol

Get in there, get comfortable, and you'll start making friends and feeling like a veteran sooner than later.

Bulking: Let's Get Fluffy Pinskers's Avatar
    Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000) Pinskers is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used to be. Every time I had a new exercise, I would flip out, particularly since my first go-round, I couldn't lift the barbell (I can now!), and I go to a really large gym (and am still usually the only woman lifting!)! But I learned a couple of things:

a) Once I put the music on, my whole world just dies around me. Watching myself in the mirror instead of everyone else helps, too.

b) A lot of it stemmed from being hesitant to perform the exercise and thus being ridiculed. Once I did the exercises a couple of times, all of a sudden, the guys didn't bother me anymore. Now it's all, "Hey, you going to use those clips? No? Great, I'll take them."

lis1hotmama has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It was incredibly intimidating for me the first few times. I just put my music on and faked a confidence I didn't feel. Now it's no big deal, I'm in there every morning.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JohnRainbo View Post
    I feel the same way, and I am a man. It certainly is an odd environment to get used to. I've gone for years, and still am uncomfortable going when it is busy. Tougher for women, I am sure, but men look at men in a judging manner, too. lol

Just ignore them and go do what you gotta do.
    I think us guys judge each other more than we judge women who are in the gym. I mean, as a default, we expect women to only use pink dumbbells if you go into the lifting area, so pretty much anything is a step up from that.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrisatgrace will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^ yeah whenever a woman lifts in my gym (granted I've only seen this a couple times) I'm usually like...*jaw drops to the floor as if I've just seen a unicorn* For the most part, I find women who lift sexy and intriguing...so don't feel intimidated!

KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10) KimberlyDoll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Honestly I think everyone feels a little awkward or intimated at first to some degree because we're not familiar with working with free weights or whatever the reason.
    Once you get past that though you'll wonder how you ever did without going to the weights section! Everyone is right though, just focus on you, go in there with a goal in mind and back no attention to everyone else. That's what I do. I go in knowing what body part I'm working, what exercises I'm doing...once my earbuds are in it's all about ME

LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Im the only female who lifts (properly) in my gym. I get a few comments about 'how I lift better than some men...for a girl' but the guys dont bother me. I tell them off for leaving their weights scattered about or of I hear them disrespecting women but most men give me the 'approving nod' when I walk in. Some guys ask me to spot them or ask advice.

Tbh I like it this way.

Eta-get your ass in there and lift, girl

itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) itsagoodday has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't have to lift around the men at my gym, they get the heck out of my way.

Just kidding You've received great advice, get in there and you'll be fine!

igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000) igsm1969 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by okiegrl10 View Post
    I've finally lost the extra 15 lbs I've been wanting to lose since having my 3rd baby last year. Now, I'm ready to get toned and lean!

Do any of you feel uncomfortable lifting around men? I workout in a really small gym, and am often the only woman in there when I workout. I am so uncomfortable about going over there and lifting around the guys in there for some reason. How do you ladies deal with that? Is anyone else uncomfortable about it? I usually stick to the cardio machines, ab machines and leg machines and steer clear of the benches and free weights, but I really want to do those too. I know I have to get over that if I really want to accomplish my goal of getting toned and lean.

I just need some motivation to get beyond that! Have any of you felt this way before? How did you get yourself past it?

Nope! After being nearly 500 lbs in 2005, I don't even give it a thought!
    Attached Images

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No I don't feel intimidated working out around men. In fact I don't feel intimidated by men at all. In fact I don't ever really get the whole concept of "OMG I am the only woman, what's going to happen to me, are they all going to jump me". Sorry, I just don't. I did feel intimidated initially but not because I am a woman among a bunch of guys, but because I was new and didn't know what I was doing, and worried about making an ass of myself.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by chrisatgrace View Post
    ^ yeah whenever a woman lifts in my gym (granted I've only seen this a couple times) I'm usually like...*jaw drops to the floor as if I've just seen a unicorn* For the most part, I find women who lift sexy and intriguing...so don't feel intimidated!
    Definitely seconded on that!
    Cut done with - basically unsuccessful first bulk as I did put on a lot of fat to go with the little muscle I added. I know what I did wrong first time round and won't be repeating it. Looking forwards to being able to eat a few hundred more calories!! At least I know I can cut fat efficiently: went from 143lbs to 120lbs and from 35in to 29in waist.

indieblack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah when a woman hit the weight ,they're normally the center of attention but for the most part guys are open to giving tip and question to using the weight ,dont feel shy or nervous,GIRRLLL get in there and do your thang.
    At the end of the day your transforming your body.What i would do if i was you is bring some ear phone and hit the weight,guy are so busy flexing there muscle in the mirror they not looking i promise.

issa77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I definitely did at first. Now it's not a big deal since I know what I'm doing however I still avoid eye contact :-/ You'll feel awkward in the beginning but in no time you'll be over it! Just go in there with a program...and some earbuds.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Could anybody explain to me please what exactly intimidates them?
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    Could anybody explain to me please what exactly intimidates them?
    A lot of men as well as women feel insecure entering the weight area for the first time (or first time in a long time). Every newbie thinks they have a giant sign on their forehead saying "I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I'M DOING EVERYBODY!" (to be fair, some of them might as well ). Hell, if I walked into my own gym and the lanky college students were replaced with elite powerlifters I would feel hella intimidated! Even though the change of clientele technically would have no impact on my lifting knowledge and ability.

Honestly, I'd love to lift in a women's only area if it were available and the weights went high enough. The guys at my gym annoy the f*ck out of me. Quarter squats for days, failing to unrack weights, hogging equipment, altering machines in ways they weren't intended... none of the women I've seen have done any of the above. They're like me: get in, get out, and leave things as good or better than we found it.

MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000) MoonAbove is just really nice. (+1000)
    "OMG I am the only woman, what's going to happen to me, are they all going to jump me".
    Always been one of my top 3 gym fantasies, but, that's for another thread, I suppose.

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No I don't feel intimidated working out around men. In fact I don't feel intimidated by men at all. In fact I don't ever really get the whole concept of "OMG I am the only woman, what's going to happen to me, are they all going to jump me". Sorry, I just don't. I did feel intimidated initially but not because I am a woman among a bunch of guys, but because I was new and didn't know what I was doing, and worried about making an ass of myself.
    Same for me, word for word. My biggest problem these days is that I've gotten too friendly with lots of people in the gym and we spend too much time talking.

Originally Posted by illiniStrive View Post
    A lot of men as well as women feel insecure entering the weight area for the first time (or first time in a long time). Every newbie thinks they have a giant sign on their forehead saying "I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT I'M DOING EVERYBODY!" (to be fair, some of them might as well ). Hell, if I walked into my own gym and the lanky college students were replaced with elite powerlifters I would feel hella intimidated! Even though the change of clientele technically would have no impact on my lifting knowledge and ability.

Honestly, I'd love to lift in a women's only area if it were available and the weights went high enough. The guys at my gym annoy the f*ck out of me. Quarter squats for days, failing to unrack weights, hogging equipment, altering machines in ways they weren't intended... none of the women I've seen have done any of the above. They're like me: get in, get out, and leave things as good or better than we found it.
    That makes sense. But I don't get why that would be a bigger problem if the people around you are guys. If anything, women are much more critical of other women than men. They'll take measure of your butt, your bra size, your hair, how tall you are, how much you weight, etc, compare themselves to you, give you the smug look if they feel they look better than you, or the evil eye if they feel you look better than them. So why would guys be more intimidating?

They'll take measure of your butt, your bra size, your hair, how tall you are, how much you weight, etc, compare themselves to you, give you the smug look if they feel they look better than you, or the evil eye if they feel you look better than them. So why would guys be more intimidating?
    That pretty much sums it up. Friggin women. No wonder I've always had more guy friends. We can totally suck to each other.