Ethanthacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why can't I do more sets?

Hey guys noob here, just wanted to ask a quick question.

I feel experienced, I have been training two and a half years, and I look at my routine and compare with others and my sets seem lacking...

For instance, 12-16 sets for chest is recommended for hypertrophy. I do 3 sets dumbell bench, and 3 sets incline or decline (I alternate) after that i feel BURNED out. And it's not just chest, its everywhere, I maybe do 6-8 sets per muscle group. I have seen decent results but would like to step it up!

So do i need to just man up and keep going? I feel like i wont be able to move much weight after those 6-8 sets. Or do i lighten up my initial sets to leave some in the tank for later? Or jut keep going?

gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10) gregorymcm is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How are you training during your first initial sets? are you training to failure? What is your rep scheme? and how is your diet?

Your diet and training consistency will be the factors to focus on when you feel burned out in the gym. Make sure you are sleeping enough as well.
    Current 1 Rep Maxes:

Flat BB Bench press: 275X1
    Deadlift: 410X1
    Squats: 325X1

Goal 1 Rep Maxes:

Flat BB bench press: 315X1
    Deadlift: 495X1
    Squats: 405X1

Originally Posted by gregorymcm View Post
    How are you training during your first initial sets? are you training to failure? What is your rep scheme? and how is your diet?

Your diet and training consistency will be the factors to focus on when you feel burned out in the gym. Make sure you are sleeping enough as well.
    I am on a bulk so just a ****load of protein, some fast food, but try to keep everything high in protein. And yes even my first set after warmup is pretty much to failure. My plan is choose a weight that i can do for instance, 9 reps in. Then next workout go for 10, then 11. After 12 i raise the weight to be able to do 8 reps again.

Broser Built/AAEFX Fueled hercules455's Avatar
    hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hercules455 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try a preworkout with beta alinine! I like AAEFX Kotic.

Sleep will help tons and carbs before you train will really add to your energy levels.
    All American EFX Rep
    Drug Free Natural Freak for Life
    Broser Built by PRRS and FDFS training systems
    www.prrsdvd.com
    www.x-reps.com
    www.aaefx.com

For a FREE sample of Karbolyn
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/aap/karbolyn.html
    For a FREE sample of K-OTIC
    http://www.aaefx.com/secret/k-otic.html?....campaign=k-otic

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/aap/aap.htm

2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ethanthacker View Post

I feel experienced, I have been training two and a half years, and I look at my routine and compare with others and my sets seem lacking...

For instance, 12-16 sets for chest is recommended for hypertrophy. I do 3 sets dumbell bench, and 3 sets incline or decline (I alternate) after that i feel BURNED out. And it's not just chest, its everywhere, I maybe do 6-8 sets per muscle group. I have seen decent results but would like to step it up!

So do i need to just man up and keep going? I feel like i wont be able to move much weight after those 6-8 sets. Or do i lighten up my initial sets to leave some in the tank for later? Or jut keep going?
    I dont know your stance on supplements but I would reccomend creatine, atleast when bulking. I usually use creatine all year except for the summer months, (So I lose the water retention) but creatine deffinately helps with endurance and not getting fatigued to early. Also on your rep scheme lower it a little youre are going a little to high in reps. I pretty much do what you do but stick to 6-8 reps and once you can get to 9 add 5lbs and start back at 6 reps again. It doesnt sound like a big difference but if youre hitting up to 12 reps youre probably building up to much acid. Also dont forget when you are lifting heavy you need a decent break in between sets to. Ill usually just jam to some music and walk to the water fountain to keep moving and not getting bored and out of the zone. Oh yeah I just read more of your post you really probably only need to add one more compound chest exercise in if that. I also like to go heavy on hammerstrength incline after im done with barbell training, but a lot of people get their other sets for chest on exercises like flies/cable flies dips, stuff like that. More exercises to hit mainly just the pecs.
    Last edited by 2200rms; 06-30-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Orlando1234977 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

I am on a bulk so just a ****load of protein, some fast food, but try to keep everything high in protein. And yes even my first set after warmup is pretty much to failure. My plan is choose a weight that i can do for instance, 9 reps in. Then next workout go for 10, then 11. After 12 i raise the weight to be able to do 8 reps again.
    Are you benching over 300+?

Originally Posted by Orlando1234977 View Post
    Are you benching over 300+?
    No, why?

Originally Posted by 2200rms View Post
    I dont know your stance on supplements but I would reccomend creatine, atleast when bulking. I usually use creatine all year except for the summer months, (So I lose the water retention) but creatine deffinately helps with endurance and not getting fatigued to early. Also on your rep scheme lower it a little youre are going a little to high in reps. I pretty much do what you do but stick to 6-8 reps and once you can get to 9 add 5lbs and start back at 6 reps again. It doesnt sound like a big difference but if youre hitting up to 12 reps youre probably building up to much acid. Also dont forget when you are lifting heavy you need a decent break in between sets to. Ill usually just jam to some music and walk to the water fountain to keep moving and not getting bored and out of the zone. Oh yeah I just read more of your post you really probably only need to add one more compound chest exercise in if that. I also like to go heavy on hammerstrength incline after im done with barbell training, but a lot of people get their other sets for chest on exercises like flies/cable flies dips, stuff like that. More exercises to hit mainly just the pecs.
    Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!

DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DrFlexologist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You should be more concerned with 'how' you are doing your current sets and the reps within those sets rather than worrying about doing more sets.

2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2200rms is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!
    And what Dr flex said, you really need to concentrate on form and MMC to gain muscle where you want it. You might get stronger with bad form but wont see as many physical results. I benching less now since im cutting for summer, but I benched 395 in the winter.