View Poll Results: Was this revision useful?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 50.00%
  • No

5 50.00%
    MyCaloriesBurnThemselves mobythedictator's Avatar
    mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Post REVISION OF STICKY: Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs [+PDF]

Hey everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poaster.

If you've read the sticky titled, "Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs," by Emma Leigh you know that it's probably one of the most important threads, if not the most important thread you can read on forum.bodybuilding.com (and on the internet, really).
    If you haven't read the thread I'm referring to, it's here:

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

As much as I love dat dere thread, I feel like there was some fat to trim and the formatting could be improved.
    Not trying to take credit for any of the excellent info provided in original thread, I just want to help make the info more accessible and portable.

I've attached a neatly-formatted PDF for anyone interested.
    If you find any major errors, please let me know, and I will fix them as quickly as possible.
    I will be monitoring this thread..

Revisions:
    *Made important numbers and formulas boldface.
    *Added lots of pretty colours and unicorns (sorta notreally)
    *Added Table of Contents.
    *Separated main sections into Parts I-V.
    *Added "Macronutrients" to Basic Terminology list including gram-calorie equivalents for protein, carbs, and fats.
    *Re-ordered BMR formulas in descending order by importance.
    *Improved formatting of BMR formulas.
    *Improved formatting for Part III: Calculating TEE.
    *Improved formatting and added info for Part IV: Gain or Lose Weight.
    *Improved formatting and added info for Part V: Macronutrient Requirements.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mobythedictator; 06-29-2013 at 12:52 PM.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think the sticky is fine as is
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    I think the sticky is fine as is
    yea, you're prolly right.
    i guess i just hate BB Code formatting, HTML would be nice.
    the PDF is still there for anyone that may ever need it, it really is pretty

No Longer Look Like This InItForFitness's Avatar
    InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) InItForFitness has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ITT OP has sticky thread dreams...
    �USMC (2009-2013) �

â–¬ *Former* Wanna-Be Powerlifter : Best Total : 1300 (440/320/540) @ 168lbs BW (W/ Wraps) â–¬

♦Currently full on dad-bod status (minus the dad part)

*NEW TRAINING LOG* ; https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178104781

KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000) KCBiggs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If it aint broke, don't fix it, though I do like the PDF, it's handy if you want to give a copy to a friend or something.

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nothing needs to be changed.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

Originally Posted by InItForFitness View Post
    ITT OP has sticky thread dreams...
    hahaha! that one made my day, rep'd strictly for that reason..

well hate it or love it, it was a labor of love guise.

Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Uhm, the sticky post is now gone. There are TONS of shortlinks on the internet pointing to that, not to mention the Beginners workout thread that had to reset after the 10K post mark. I actually reported it to the admin thinking something was broken (links give an invalid forum message). I would recommend requesting it be recreated from admin with original link and then edit the first post to point to this as an update.

Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fmstrat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Couple of things:

Page 2: Number 2 in Green is cut off (Ends with Wei...)

Part V: I think a part of the story missing here, at least for those new (whom this is intended) is the relationship of calorie and gram. For example, take this statement:

This means if you are an athlete involved in a good volume of training, calculate carbohydrates first then go back and calculate protein and fat requirements.
    We're taken the reader on a journey of getting a calorie count. Then we've taken them down the road of determining how much of each thing they should eat. We then get to carbs at the end and the above statement is a bit misleading, because no matter what order I plug in Protein/Fat/Carb into your calculations, the numbers will always come out the same. The only one that gives variability is the "lazy individuals" formula under carbs at the very end.

My recommendation is to remove the above quoted sentence to remove the confusion, then combine the last statement around converting carb calories to grams and just put it in the formula to simplify. Ending with:

Carb Grams = (TEE – ((protein grams from above x 4) + (fat grams from above X 9))) / 4
    Lastly, as simple as it is, I would add a "revise as your weight changes."

Thanks for the post, btw! Great job!

Ben

jbfast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbfast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbfast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jbfast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can you PDF the original macronutrient post? I think there're a few things missing. Otherwise, it's really good.

foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10) foams is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Fmstrat View Post
    Uhm, the sticky post is now gone. There are TONS of shortlinks on the internet pointing to that, not to mention the Beginners workout thread that had to reset after the 10K post mark. I actually reported it to the admin thinking something was broken (links give an invalid forum message). I would recommend requesting it be recreated from admin with original link and then edit the first post to point to this as an update.
    Thanks for bumping this, exactly what I needed since the original thread disappeared.

Unhappy sticky is gone?

OPie here, i'm still reeling, the original sticky is gone?!
    anyone got an idea why?

edit: original sticky is not gone. was i trolled?
    Last edited by mobythedictator; 08-21-2013 at 08:16 PM.