Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dry5Bomber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

To what extent does cardio prevent/slow down muscle growth?

I've read somewhere that "cardio burns muscle" and at first I thought that sounded ridiculous but it made sense after I thought about it. However, I don't believe cardio directly effects muscle growth and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression that because you burn so many calories from cardio, it limits the body to absorb all the calories you need to gain muscle.

So how much cardio is too much? I work out everyday except Friday and Sunday and I usually do between 10-20 minutes of cardio (treadmill at 6.5 speed minimum) after my work-outs. Depending on how I feel after the work-out, I may only do 10 minutes of cardio or none at all but I try to do it every time I'm at the gym. I'm trying to gain muscle mass but still maintain my cardiovascular exercises. Keep in mind, I am eating a lot and getting plenty of protein, I'm not trying to lose weight. (I weigh about 160)

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are certain respects to which it can impede progress.

Calories would only be an issue if you were already eating at a deficit. Your training time/energy is one factor to the same respects, and so is the recovery time it takes if you are progressing in it. There is of course, over training a particular muscle, but this takes at least around 45 minutes.

can't see my feet (bulk) c-diddy's Avatar
    c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10) c-diddy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My bro science theory is that excess cortisol from extended cardio sessions (1 hour +) can hinder muscle growth, even if you eat in excess.

Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Look into HIIT. If you really want to maximize muscle gain you can easily do this on a treadmill or a stationary bike. Might be more worth your time in that 20 mins.

Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alexandre76 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a very physical job and I spend a lot of calories working, despite that I still make great strength gains. Just because you want to build muscles doesn't mean you have to sit on your ass and do nothing cuz you're afraid it might hinder your gains

Cedric McMillan is in the army and he's a successful IFBB pro, football players are jacked and they run, HIIT cardio is your best friend.

Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000) Wolf200 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    There is of course, over training a particular muscle, but this takes at least around 45 minutes.
    You can't overtrain a muscle.

Originally Posted by c-diddy View Post
    My bro science theory is that excess cortisol from extended cardio sessions (1 hour +) can hinder muscle growth, even if you eat in excess.
    Cardio produces far less cortisol in comparison to resistance training.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

MyCaloriesBurnThemselves mobythedictator's Avatar
    mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mobythedictator is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i once heard from a broscientist that keeping yourself as close to your target heart rate as possible for about an hour a day will not cause you to lose muscle.

loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) loganhart has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Wolf200 View Post
    You can't overtrain a muscle.

Cardio produces far less cortisol in comparison to resistance training.
    Exactly this^^

Cardio doesn't burn muscle....

Cardio doesn't burn fat....

Cardio burns calories (increase in TDEE)!

Eat enough to make up for your calories lost and it will not affect your muscle mass.
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift"

-Jón Páll Sigmarsson