serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10)

will I gain fat quickly when lean bulking for a while?

Sup guys I posted this thread at ''fat loss'' forum but I figured maybe this thread will fit better in this forum, been training for over 1 year now and i didn't gain muscle, or very little at the very least
    My cutting days are almost over and I'm about to reverse diet til I hit my maintenance cals.
    This time I'm going for a lean bulk approach, so when I hit my maintenance cals, I will be upgrading my calorie intake bij 200-300 a week until I hit my maintenance +500/600.
    (for example 2000 cals maintenance +200 a week until bulking cals)
    So my main question is, if I do this for months or even a year, will I gain a lot of fat? Because I'm approaching my daily calorie intake by +500/600 so I'm thinking that it can be stored as fat.
    It may seem like I'm a little too worried about it, but to be realistic, it's not possible for me to gain a lot of pounds immediately and say; ''these are muscles!'' no it might be a whole lot of fat too. My main question is; how long can I stay ripped/shredded while approaching a lean bulk? It motivates me to make gains while staying as shredded as possible, gaining a bit of fat while bulking is normal too, but I just want to keep it at a minimum at the very least
    Should I train with high intensity (Yates style) or do a mini cut at a period of time?

thanks if you read this

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You shouldn't use an arbitrary number of cals to put yourself in a surplus. Instead go for an increase of 10-20% of your TDEE.

If you stick to this then your fat gains will be minimal. I've been bulking on a surplus of just over 20% TDEE for almost 3 months now and still have abs.

ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100)
    you weigh 140lbs just eat and gain weight stop thiking about gettin fat, and cut when u av mass

serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10) serrj is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ruicosta View Post
    you weigh 140lbs just eat and gain weight stop thiking about gettin fat, and cut when u av mass
    what I want is simply a lean bulk approach, just if you have advice to share feel free to do it, what if my goal is staying lean but slowly getting big over the years? for me theres no need into getting fat when having mass, rather have a leanbulk approach with some patience in it, thx though

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by serrj View Post
    what I want is simply a lean bulk approach, just if you have advice to share feel free to do it, what if my goal is staying lean but slowly getting big over the years?
    Then you'll probably look about the same over the next few years.

Mahoganyjoint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mahoganyjoint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There will be fat gain, you have to expect it when gaining mass. But as said keeping it to a minimum is going over your TDEE by about 10-20% and be strict to make sure it doesn't go under or above.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Then you'll probably look about the same over the next few years.
    alright, you think that there will be no gains while lean bulking +200/300 above maintenance, ok dude stay at your 18% BF, only askin' people for advice and maybe some knowledge to share

Originally Posted by Mahoganyjoint View Post
    There will be fat gain, you have to expect it when gaining mass. But as said keeping it to a minimum is going over your TDEE by about 10-20% and be strict to make sure it doesn't go under or above.
    yes I expect fat gain, already planning it out for next week's start, thanks

jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000) jimsmith9999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    what I want is simply a lean bulk approach, just if you have advice to share feel free to do it, what if my goal is staying lean but slowly getting big over the years? for me theres no need into getting fat when having mass, rather have a leanbulk approach with some patience in it, thx though
    The approach is simple.
    -eat in a moderate surplus
    -train smartly (following an intelligent training plan - starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream fitness 5x5, ect). Pay attention to loading and deloading parameters, and push yourself, hard.
    -get adequate rest

Do the above for a long time, and you will get results.

You also have to
    -accept the fact that your abs will go away.
    -accept the fact that you will gain some fat. Note - gaining fat does not mean getting fat which a lot of people seem to assume it does. Gaining fat doesn't mean getting sloppy, getting a belly, ect.

But if your priority is staying ripped, you will probably fail on your bulk.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    .. what if my goal is staying lean but slowly getting big over the years?
    The outcome will likely be the same for you as it has been for a host of other, similar posters here over the years; you'll keep your "abs," but otherwise remain small.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    The outcome will likely be the same for you as it has been for a host of other, similar posters here over the years; you'll keep your "abs," but otherwise remain small.
    youre right, took me some time to accept the fact, but how does one like.. say.. Jeff seid stay ripped while he bulks? that recently came into my head, u know something more about it?

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    youre right, took me some time to accept the fact, but how does one like.. say.. Jeff seid stay ripped while he bulks? that recently came into my head, u know something more about it?
    jeff is 200% natty

jussayin
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    but how does one like.. say.. Jeff seid stay ripped while he bulks?
    Who says he does? Physique competitors, like competing bodybuilders, rarely allow themselves to be seen or photographed during the 'off' season. Keep in mind also that these people very often use 'supplements' to help them attain their condition/mass.

Don't fall into the bottomless pit of trying to compare yourself to professionals or those who otherwise are at the top of the genetic mountain. If you do, you'll forever be chasing the unattainable until you quit training altogether in frustration.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by softpounder View Post
    jeff is 200% natty

jussayin
    ^^^ this

Dude, there's only so much you can do natty. Just take your time!

What are your stats at the moment?! If you haven't already, just calculate your macros for a bulk... I think you're already lean, just eat Plenty(without taking the piss) and lift.. U see too much fat ... Back off 200 cals each day! There's no secrets!
    "Never attempt to train yourself into a caloric deficit. Don't spend hours on the treadmill. Diet comes first, cardio second. The dumbest fat loss strategy ever devised is used by people that wake up early in the morning before going to work to do cardio and follow that up with "recovery shake." Congratulations, you just wasted two hours of your life." Martin Berkhan

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Keep in mind also that these people very often use 'supplements' to help them attain their condition/mass.

Don't fall into the bottomless pit of trying to compare yourself to professionals or those who otherwise are at the top of the genetic mountain. If you do, you'll forever be chasing the unattainable until you quit training altogether in frustration.
    Well said Will (if I'm allowed to call you that way).

I would not compare myself to professionals or top-end genetic freaks because it will let me down. I will never look like them but it won't make me create excuses to give up.

Registered User DieselAesthetic's Avatar
    DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselAesthetic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you have to question whether or not you'll get "fat" on a "lean bulk" then you're not really lean bulking.
    *Dallas Misc Crew*

Originally Posted by DieselAesthetic View Post
    If you have to question whether or not you'll get "fat" on a "lean bulk" then you're not really lean bulking.
    Fat will be gained regardless of whatever % of surplus OP will be choosing.

Bulk means fat + muscle - regardless of clean at a lower % surplus or dirty aka higher % surplus.

Who says he does? Physique competitors, like competing bodybuilders, rarely allow themselves to be seen or photographed during the 'off' season. Keep in mind also that these people very often use 'supplements' to help them attain their condition/mass.

thanks for advice that's why I asked it early on to not fall all the way down, just asked myself for a second how he did it, now I know alot more, thx

Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kdnlp07 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yea I weighed 194 pounds, and had a six pack...... Back in the M 1T days lmao. Bulk until you look in the mirror and decide hmm I've gained some fat and ill cut now. Just hit your macros track your food your eating and muscle loss will be at a minimum.
    I don't do cardio..... The only thing I'm running after is the ice cream truck !!

I.love.cereals.brah. vimalancity's Avatar
    vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50) vimalancity will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As long as the reverse diet it done patiently and properly, fat gains during the start of a lean bulk will be minimal. Obviously fat gains are inevitable during a bulk, but it can be minimized. A mini cut is only needed when you feel that you have not reached the peak of your bulk but feel that you have put on excess fat. Then a mini cut can be performed to strip off abit of the fat before hopping onto the bulk again.

For the surplus case, I'd stick with an additional 10%-15% of your calories or 200-300 calories as a surplus.
    IIFYM Crew brah

Srs/10

whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lean bulks don't generally work as well unless you have, like someone stated earlier, gifted genetics.
    Muscles require energy to grow, meaning carbs.
    I've seen body builders in their off season and they eat like a horse to get as much muscle bulk as they can before they start cutting around 2 months before competition. During their bulk, they look unrecognizably fat.
    It's easier to bulk and cut rather than doing both at the same time.

Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000) Siobahn is just really nice. (+1000)
    More muscle mass means you lose fat faster. Dont be afraid of fat, and with a decent surplus you wont be fat.

layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) layarph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by whyser View Post
    Lean bulks don't generally work as well unless you have, like someone stated earlier, gifted genetics.
    Muscles require energy to grow, meaning carbs.
    I've seen body builders in their off season and they eat like a horse to get as much muscle bulk as they can before they start cutting around 2 months before competition. During their bulk, they look unrecognizably fat.
    It's easier to bulk and cut rather than doing both at the same time.
    Lean bulks don't work well? Why?

Muscles require energy to grow, so carbs? You can't grow muscle without carbs?

Using any nutrition logic a bodybuilder does, where that bodybuilder is drunk on steds, is stupid and should never be followed by a natural lifter! Different aims and different needs!

Your advice that everyone should get fat and not lean bulk, is silly. It's personal preference, and factually, saying lean bulking doesn't work as well as getting unrecognisably fat cos the bodybuilders do, is ridiculous.
    "Never attempt to train yourself into a caloric deficit. Don't spend hours on the treadmill. Diet comes first, cardio second. The dumbest fat loss strategy ever devised is used by people that wake up early in the morning before going to work to do cardio and follow that up with "recovery shake." Congratulations, you just wasted two hours of your life." Martin Berkhan

whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whyser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by layarph View Post
    Lean bulks don't work well? Why?

Muscles require energy to grow, so carbs? You can't grow muscle without carbs?

Using any nutrition logic a bodybuilder does, where that bodybuilder is drunk on steds, is stupid and should never be followed by a natural lifter! Different aims and different needs!

Your advice that everyone should get fat and not lean bulk, is silly. It's personal preference, and factually, saying lean bulking doesn't work as well as getting unrecognisably fat cos the bodybuilders do, is ridiculous.
    Never said that it can't work, just saying it doesn't work as well.
    I also never suggested going the body builder route, I'm just saying that's what they do, and it works. I've seen more people successful on the bulk and cut route than lean bulk.

And as for muscles require energy to grow, it would be very difficult to do any kind of bulk without carbs.
    When you don't have carbs, your body resorts to burning fat and muscle to maintain blood sugar levels, kind of opposite to what the OP partly wants to do which is to grow muscle.

You can do some fun reading here:
    www[dot]bodybuilding.com/fun/planet27.htm

adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adam247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why ask ?

Just keep an eye on it day to day and adjust accordingly ...

No one wakes up fat

Never said that it can't work, just saying it doesn't work as well.
    I also never suggested going the body builder route, I'm just saying that's what they do, and it works. I've seen more people successful on the bulk and cut route than lean bulk.
    You still cut on a lean bulk... A bulk is a bulk... It is up to the individual whether he chooses to let loose on that bulk, or lean bulk (10-20% surplus). How can a fat bulk be better when you take longer to cut? You don't build muscle faster the more eat, there's a limit to how much muscle your body can build.

There is no physiological advantage to eating a 40% cal surplus, compared to a 10-20% cal surplus.

Saying that someone should do it because it works for people on steroids, is like telling a sprinter they should eat hay because then they could run like a horse.

Originally Posted by layarph View Post
    You still cut on a lean bulk... A bulk is a bulk... It is up to the individual whether he chooses to let loose on that bulk, or lean bulk (10-20% surplus). How can a fat bulk be better when you take longer to cut? You don't build muscle faster the more eat, there's a limit to how much muscle your body can build.

There is no physiological advantage to eating a 40% cal surplus, compared to a 10-20% cal surplus.

Saying that someone should do it because it works for people on steroids, is like telling a sprinter they should eat hay because then they could run like a horse.
    Take it easy layarph.
    A lot of people here said to expect some fat gain even while doing the lean bulk.

To me, I was thinking the OP was asking how to gain muscle while maintaining or reducing body fat (which I assume is very low already).
    I was just suggesting, like everyone else here, that if he wants to bulk that he should expect to gain some fat, as I would think maintaining something like a 8% bodyfat while trying to gain muscle will be more difficult than fattening up a bit (up to say 13-14% body fat) while gaining lean muscle. I've seen a lot of guys plateau quickly simply because they refuse to eat more in fears of getting fat, which is why I felt that lean (as in maintaining or reducing body fat) bulk is not as effective. The bodybuilder example is an extreme case, and I don't really care about steroids or whatever, we all know that they supplement the hell out of themselves to get it where it is. And I don't quite understand your analogy.

But if he feels that he's getting too fat from the bulk, then "back off 200 cals each day", like you said. Doing it right, he will maintain his strength gains. I'm not in disagreement with you.

ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100) ruicosta is not very well liked. (-100)
    thanks for advice that's why I asked it early on to not fall all the way down, just asked myself for a second how he did it, now I know alot more, thx
    You will gain fat in calorie surplus you can lean bulk but it will take you longer, at 140 just eat good foods and work out do a bit of research.
    And no jeff seid is not natural, he gets paid to show off his physique he isnt going to admit it though.

Take it easy layarph.
    A lot of people here said to expect some fat gain even while doing the lean bulk.

To me, I was thinking the OP was asking how to gain muscle while maintaining or reducing body fat (which I assume is very low already).
    I was just suggesting, like everyone else here, that if he wants to bulk that he should expect to gain some fat, as I would think maintaining something like a 8% bodyfat while trying to gain muscle will be more difficult than fattening up a bit (up to say 13-14% body fat) while gaining lean muscle. I've seen a lot of guys plateau quickly simply because they refuse to eat more in fears of getting fat, which is why I felt that lean (as in maintaining or reducing body fat) bulk is not as effective. The bodybuilder example is an extreme case, and I don't really care about steroids or whatever, we all know that they supplement the hell out of themselves to get it where it is. And I don't quite understand your analogy.

But if he feels that he's getting too fat from the bulk, then "back off 200 cals each day", like you said. Doing it right, he will maintain his strength gains. I'm not in disagreement with you.
    I agree with you here, this is not what you implied earlier; that doing a heavier bulk is more effective than a lean bulk, because that is not true, physiologically; psychologically, it may be, but that is down to the individual. It will be more difficult, physiologically, because you won't build more muscle, you will add more fat, and will therefore have more to cut.

Originally Posted by ruicosta View Post
    You will gain fat in calorie surplus you can lean bulk but it will take you longer
    It won't take longer, assuming he's at the higher end of the lean bulk surplus (~20%). If the amount of muscle you gain is perfectly parallel to how much you eat, we'd all be doing it.

But I do agree that at 140, the guy should eat and eat (without taking the piss) and use the mirror as his guide.