ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I can't squat to save my life...

...and my question is: why? I can't jump very high either, so I figure that's somewhat related. I have put in a lot of time in the gym, and I have seen gains in every area except for squats. I swear on my honor that my form is fine. Where things don't add up for me is the fact that my legs are pretty substantial. They are undoubtedly strong. I had a workout partner for a while, and I could put up more weight in any exercise except for squats. I have never known what the issue is, and I would like to get to the bottom of it before I die. For starters, I am fairly bow-legged, although I dont know if that matters. When I perform squats and other similar movements, I feel more lateral strain than medial strain, as in more towards the outside of my hips than the inside. Also, I feel like I'm not engaging all of muscles, if that makes any sense. When I get down into a deep squat and propel myself upward, I feel like there an entire muscle group that just isn't there/isn't doing anything. I feel the most strain in my buttocks, like right where that bony protrusion is. Any ideas?

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your form is probably not fine. Post a form check vid to be sure.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kadri43fan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    Your form is probably not fine. Post a form check vid to be sure.
    Even if it is fine it wont hurt to post a video. I was cocky like you as well thinking my squat form was perfect.. I posted a video and there were FOUR major concerns people had. I have eliminated 3/4 of them. My back still rounds a bit I'm afraid. Although I was still making gains with the four major concerns I am sure fixing them was the right thing to do!

Also how much weight relative to your body weight can you squat? If it is over 1.5x then gains will start to slow down. Try to deload 10-20% and then add the weight back up to bust out of your stall.

DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How can you not? At this point it might not be a physical problem but mental. Maybe you're thinking to much, just put the damn bar on your back and squat. Unless you have deformities in the leg, you should be able to properly perform a squat.
    NASM- CPT, CES, PES.

Pursuing degree in Health Care Admin.

Training consultant to Paramount Studios.

Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) Diedlifting will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I understand this, I can't squat either, what style do you do? if you look up candito training hq or Bryce Lewis they both do a high bar atg squat.

Low bar the so you think you can squat videos.

I tried high bar for so long and got nothing but knee pain and no feeling in muscles so once my knees heal up I'm gonna try lowbar, maybe you have trouble with 1 but can do the other ?
    ***aka Belfast Brah***
    ***Proudmanlet for Mod crew***

ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ctoth666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Diedlifting View Post
    I understand this, I can't squat either, what style do you do? if you look up candito training hq or Bryce Lewis they both do a high bar atg squat.

Low bar the so you think you can squat videos.

I tried high bar for so long and got nothing but knee pain and no feeling in muscles so once my knees heal up I'm gonna try lowbar, maybe you have trouble with 1 but can do the other ?
    I will try to post a video by the end of the week if you want to see me in a squat rack. Otherwise I can just do a bodyweight squat. Off the top of my head, I'm ~185 lbs. and I'd put the ceiling at 275 lbs., but I might not even be able to do that much. I've max bench pressed 255 lbs, however, so I think that squat:bench press ratio is a bit off. I'm a stickler for form, however, so I feel like I am doing squats properly. I don't perform exercises unless I can do them properly. If anyone else understands this, it just doesn't feel like I'm using all of my lower body strength. Like when I do lunges, for examples, all of the force feels like it's coming from hips--I can't just "push" through it and I frequently lose my balance. I want to say that there's a kink in my kinetic chain.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ctoth666 View Post
    I will try to post a video by the end of the week if you want to see me in a squat rack. Otherwise I can just do a bodyweight squat. Off the top of my head, I'm ~185 lbs. and I'd put the ceiling at 275 lbs., but I might not even be able to do that much. I've max bench pressed 255 lbs, however, so I think that squat:bench press ratio is a bit off. I'm a stickler for form, however, so I feel like I am doing squats properly. I don't perform exercises unless I can do them properly. If anyone else understands this, it just doesn't feel like I'm using all of my lower body strength. Like when I do lunges, for examples, all of the force feels like it's coming from hips--I can't just "push" through it and I frequently lose my balance. I want to say that there's a kink in my kinetic chain.
    Sounds like you don't have good form...
    How to eliminate lower back rounding (aka "butt-wink") in the squat, a definitive guide:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153644231

Rise Of The Weak Squatter GinjaNinja85's Avatar
    Location: Brighton, East Sussex, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your form might 'look' ok, but if your technique isn't good you won't be thinking the right queues and activating the right muscles.
    Powerlifter 160/100/195/455kg @ 91.55
    137.5/97.5/195/430kg @ 82.7

Boxer 5-1