Stay Hydrated Devil Dogs! Jeremy-Vincent's Avatar
    Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question feeling light headed after deadlifts

hey guys i'm on day 2 of my GVT or 10x10 training. i've been using 5x5 for sometime now and I figured it was time for a switcharoo in routines. the GVT is killing me right now. i don't know what my 1rep max is for deadlifts but i can do 225 for 5 reps.

the workout im using called for Romanian deadlifts but for some reason i felt more comfortable with traditional deadlifts. i felt like i was doing something wrong with the romanian d/l's and i felt pretty tight in my hamstrings to where my ROM didn't seem to tax my body much. so i opted to do the traditional d/l's. i figured there wasn't much difference.

on my 4rth set i was feeling pretty light headed and decided to take longer rests since i felt like i was about to pass out. good thing i did cause when i went to my next exercise (leg extensions) i started to get a cold sweat and i couldn't even finish my whole workout.

i'm not sure if this is attributed to the high volume i'm not used to or the exercise, or both. i know it's not normal, but i've seen some big strength athletes pass out from heavy d/l's but my deadlifts are light, just higher volume than what i'm used to. i was pulling only 95lbs.

some insight would be helpful thanks
    Last edited by Jeremy-Vincent; 06-26-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    03 Cobra crew
    1911 Firearm Crew
    Texas Crew
    Old Misc Crew
    USMC The Green Weenie
    ++ Positive Crew ++

Its always Bulking Season CasellaFitness's Avatar
    CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100) CasellaFitness is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Jeremy-Vincent View Post
    hey guys i'm on day 2 of my GVT or 10x10 training. i've been using 5x5 for sometime now and I figured it was time for a switcharoo in routines. the GVT is killing me right now. i don't know what my 1rep max is for deadlifts but i can do 225 for 5 reps.

the workout im using called for Romanian deadlifts but for some reason i felt more comfortable with traditional deadlifts. i felt like i was doing something wrong with the romanian d/l's and i felt pretty tight in my hamstrings to where my ROM didn't seem to tax my body much. so i opted to do the traditional d/l's. i figured there wasn't much difference.

on my 4rth set i was feeling pretty light headed and decided to take longer rests since i felt like i was about to pass out. good thing i did cause when i went to my next exercise i started to get a cold sweat and i couldn't even finish my whole workout.

i'm not sure if this is attributed to the high volume i'm not used to or the exercise, or both. i know it's not normal, but i've seen some big strength athletes pass out from heavy d/l's but my deadlifts are light, just higher volume than what i'm used to. i was pulling only 95lbs.

10x10 of DLs seems absurd to me, most programs call for no more than 2-3 sets per week.
    Currently bulking from 205-225

Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Did you eat before workout?
    You might just be putting a lot more stress on your body or you just got your heart rate up too much without enough rest time.

Also romanian DLs are supposed to make you feel tightness in the hamstrings, especially when you go to/below the knee area, which is where you normally stop and come back up. If you feel tightness staying above the knees, try to stretch your hamstrings, maybe do a few light sets until you feel like you can go lower.

Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jeremy-Vincent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Chaosvash View Post
    Did you eat before workout?
    You might just be putting a lot more stress on your body or you just got your heart rate up too much without enough rest time.

Also romanian DLs are supposed to make you feel tightness in the hamstrings, especially when you go to/below the knee area, which is where you normally stop and come back up. If you feel tightness staying above the knees, try to stretch your hamstrings, maybe do a few light sets until you feel like you can go lower.
    yeah i'm feeling tightness above the knees and wasn't sure if my back was straight so i opted to wait it out and practice my form until i'm more comfortable.

and yes id id eat like 2 hrs before workout, pretty much what i always do when i was doing 5x5
    03 Cobra crew
    1911 Firearm Crew
    Texas Crew
    Old Misc Crew
    USMC The Green Weenie
    ++ Positive Crew ++

Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yeah i'm feeling tightness above the knees and wasn't sure if my back was straight so i opted to wait it out and practice my form until i'm more comfortable.

and yes id id eat like 2 hrs before workout, pretty much what i always do when i was doing 5x5
    The good thing about RDL's is that if your back is not straight, you won't feel your hamstrings at all, so the fact that you feel them means you're doing it right.

Your hamstrings are just a bit tight, stretch and just do RDL's to where you can for now, overtime they will loosen up, maybe even after the first few sets.

Also lower back fatigues pretty fast I believe, so I wouldn't suggest a massive number of sets for DL's. Try to take 1-2m between sets to avoid feeling sick/light headed.

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're probably not breathing correctly, you problem is insufficient blood and therefore oxygen to the brain.

The most common cause of this is improper breathing technique.

Learn more about Valsalva maneuver

Other potential causes could be:
    -Not warming up.
    -Improper neck position constricting blood flow.
    -Improper nutrition/hydration, inadequate sodium intake.
    -Blood pressure disease.

IF you want to run GVT with Deadlifts I think it's better to do 10 sets of triples instead of 10 reps.

Originally Posted by Chaosvash View Post
    The good thing about RDL's is that if your back is not straight, you won't feel your hamstrings at all, so the fact that you feel them means you're doing it right.

Your hamstrings are just a bit tight, stretch and just do RDL's to where you can for now, overtime they will loosen up, maybe even after the first few sets.

Also lower back fatigues pretty fast I believe, so I wouldn't suggest a massive number of sets for DL's. Try to take 1-2m between sets to avoid feeling sick/light headed.
    yah thanks i'm going to stretch and attempt RDL's the next time. the bar should be kept close and tight to my body right?

Originally Posted by DivaJana View Post
    You're probably not breathing correctly, you problem is insufficient blood and therefore oxygen to the brain.

The most common cause of this is improper breathing technique.

Learn more about Valsalva maneuver

Other potential causes could be:
    -Not warming up.
    -Improper neck position constricting blood flow.
    -Improper nutrition/hydration, inadequate sodium intake.
    -Blood pressure disease.

IF you want to run GVT with Deadlifts I think it's better to do 10 sets of triples instead of 10 reps.
    yah i think my breathing was a little off. i'm in a rush so i just have the gist of the video, is mark suggest i inhale and hold on the pull?? and what do you mean by 10 sets of triples can you elaborate?

thanks guys i'll have to rep on recharge
    03 Cobra crew
    1911 Firearm Crew
    Texas Crew
    Old Misc Crew
    USMC The Green Weenie
    ++ Positive Crew ++

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    yah i think my breathing was a little off. i'm in a rush so i just have the gist of the video, is mark suggest i inhale and hold on the pull??
    Exhale then inhale down, hold your breath throughout the rep, repeat.

and what do you mean by 10 sets of triples can you elaborate?
    10 sets of 3 reps instead of 10 sets of 10 reps.

raysugar1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I see stars when i deadlift and get very out of breathe doing sets of 5. By the second rep on deadlifts with 375 today i was seeing stars and it usually takes 5 minutes at least till i catch my breathe on my heaviest set. Its normal, dont worry about it. If your not sweating alot and out of breathe, up the weight. 10 sets of 10 on deadlifts.... ooh eee that's gotta be killer.. I did a set of 20 one time and threw up. Now i stick to low reps high weight on deads.

on my 4rth set i was feeling pretty light headed and decided to take longer rests since i felt like i was about to pass out. good thing i did cause when i went to my next exercise (leg extensions) i started to get a cold sweat and i couldn't even finish my whole workout.

Registered User FlawlessNucleus's Avatar
    FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50) FlawlessNucleus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by raysugar1234 View Post
    I see stars when i deadlift and get very out of breathe doing sets of 5. By the second rep on deadlifts with 375 today i was seeing stars and it usually takes 5 minutes at least till i catch my breathe on my heaviest set. Its normal, dont worry about it. If your not sweating alot and out of breathe, up the weight. 10 sets of 10 on deadlifts.... ooh eee that's gotta be killer.. I did a set of 20 one time and threw up. Now i stick to low reps high weight on deads.
    If you are seeing stars when you lift, that isn't a good thing. It most likely means you are doing the Valsalva Maneuver. You will get more core stability from doing it which will help you do deadlifts and squats...but it is a double edged sword. The reasons you should almost always avoid Valsalva is it can skyrocket your blood pressure, make you dizzy, make you pass out, or worst case scenario you could get something like a stroke or a ruptured aneurysm and die.
    Follow me on Twitter @FitnessOriented and from my profile on there, visit my blog to learn more useful exercise tips.

raysugar1234 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FlawlessNucleus View Post
    If you are seeing stars when you lift, that isn't a good thing. It most likely means you are doing the Valsalva Maneuver. You will get more core stability from doing it which will help you do deadlifts and squats...but it is a double edged sword. The reasons you should almost always avoid Valsalva is it can skyrocket your blood pressure, make you dizzy, make you pass out, or worst case scenario you could get something like a stroke or a ruptured aneurysm and die.
    What is the Valsalva Maneuver? I think it's normal to get out of breathe when lifting heavy weight. Deadlifts in particular.

mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mahipower has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Quite a few regarding RDL's is actually when your own rear is not directly, you may not sense your own hamstrings at all, so the belief that you're feeling them suggests you are doing the work suitable.yoga teacher training