Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Age 50 and can't lose weight

I'm very frustrated and the more people I talk to, the more confused I get.

I'm a 5'5", 180 lb., 50-yr. old female in menopause. Last December I quit smoking and gained 12 lbs. with no changes to diet (quitting always caused weight gain, which is why I was 160 lbs. at the time--several past attempts). I seem to have the smoking thing licked! Two months ago, I joined a gym and started doing cardio and strength training 5 days a week and immediately gained another 8 lbs. So I'm now 20 lbs. heavier.

I've been on 1500 (net, after exercise) calories daily for months and the scale will not budge. I am absolutely not underestimating my caloric intake nor overestimating my workout calories burned. (I'm measuring, weighing and using My Fitness Pal to track, BTW.)

Both a 113-lb. fitness guru client of mine and a body builder who works at GNC recently told me to up my calories to 2,340 (my weight X 13 for my activity level) and eat a 40/40/20 ratio of carbs/protein/fats for weight loss. I'm finding it very very difficult to consume more than 1500 calories--I suspect I've been eating in that range naturally for years.

95% of the time, I make good food choices. Steel cut oats, protein shakes, Quest bars, lean protein, vegetables, salads.

I'm wondering how it's physically possible to not be losing weight. Does it have something to do with menopause? Hormones? I've had my thyroid tested and it's normal. Does anyone agree with the advice to add so many calories?

jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamest2k is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There's only one way to lose weight, reduce calories below what your body requires to maintain weight on a daily basis. Aerobic exercise will assist in the fat burning process. If you're measuring the calorific intake of ALL your foods, sticking to it on a consistent basis and still not losing weight you should perhaps drop off another 200 calories (1300). I can't see any logic behind your friend telling you to increase to 2,340 calories; he sounds as confused as you are.

Regarding menopause, some menopausal drugs can lead to water retention, especially if you have a lot of sodium in your diet, but I find it unlikely to be the sole cause if you are following a strict dietary plan. If you are taking menopausal drugs, maybe the side effects are something you can discuss with your doctor.

steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50) steveh5200 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You might try dropping your calories even more six days a week then do a refeed once a week. You have probably adapted to the 1500 calories, I would be real careful about just abruptly upping your calories as that will probably put even more weight on you.

I know you aren't going to like this but when I was loosing there was a few months I was at 1100 cal a day with the refeed and was 5'9" guy and believe I was around 250 at the time. I'm sure people will say that was crazy but I couldn't stand being fat any more.

Originally Posted by jamest2k View Post
    There's only one way to lose weight, reduce calories below what your body requires to maintain weight on a daily basis. Aerobic exercise will assist in the fat burning process. If you're measuring the calorific intake of ALL your foods, sticking to it on a consistent basis and still not losing weight you should perhaps drop off another 200 calories (1300). I can't see any logic behind your friend telling you to increase to 2,340 calories; he sounds as confused as you are.

Regarding menopause, some menopausal drugs can lead to water retention, especially if you have a lot of sodium in your diet, but I find it unlikely to be the sole cause if you are following a strict dietary plan. If you are taking menopausal drugs, maybe the side effects are something you can discuss with your doctor.

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    jfeuling- most likely you're over eating and waaay over estimating your calories burned during exercises, yeah yeah, I read that you think you're absolutely not. Forget "net" calories, keep it simple and focus on your calorie intake, majority of the time people have a tendency to think they are burning much more calories than they really are and therefore end up over eating. Forget about the calories burned counters on cardio machines or on an app, those things are usually highly over estimated also. Figure out what your TDEE is, along with your Daily maintenance calories eat at a deficit. 2,300 calories is too high if you want to lose weight.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jfeuling View Post
    I am absolutely not.......... overestimating my workout calories burned.
    Outside of a clinic or lab setting, and continuously monitoring your VO2 Max with the appropriate lab equipment, you're only getting a rough guess as to your actual calorie "burn."

Using something like MFP on which to base your calorie deficit will not only not put you in the ball park, you won't even be on the parking lot.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Outside of a clinic or lab setting, and continuously monitoring your VO2 Max with the appropriate lab equipment, you're only getting a rough guess as to your actual calorie "burn."

Using something like MFP on which to base your calorie deficit will not only not put you in the ball park, you won't even be on the parking lot.
    Bingo! Well said as always.

lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post

Yep - for example - years ago when I was racing - I got tested on all that lab equipment & guess what; the "calories burned" on even the seemingly most sophisticated devices was waaaaaaay off. Like hundreds of calories off.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by lolakitten View Post
    Yep - for example - years ago when I was racing - I got tested on all that lab equipment & guess what; the "calories burned" on even the seemingly most sophisticated devices was waaaaaaay off. Like hundreds of calories off.
    Yes, this is why it is simplest to just track intake and leave the calories burned issue out of the equation beyond an estimate of activity level. The GNC wizards advice to go to 2300-ish calories is likely a gross overestimate of your lean body mass at 5'5" and 180.

What is your actual calorie consumption daily with no deductions for calories burned OP? And what are your usual P/F/C targets?
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jfeuling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

You gentlemen rock! I appreciate the time you took to help.

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Yes, this is why it is simplest to just track intake and leave the calories burned issue out of the equation beyond an estimate of activity level. The GNC wizards advice to go to 2300-ish calories is likely a gross overestimate of your lean body mass at 5'5" and 180.

What is your actual calorie consumption daily with no deductions for calories burned OP? And what are your usual P/F/C targets?
    First, to all of you-THANK YOU. Time is precious and I'm not even a hot young chick that you're helping.

Sounds like no one agrees to the higher calorie recommendation. If I gain another pound, I'll throw myself off a bridge, so I'm trying to be careful here and forget everything I thought I knew and learn, learn, learn. For example, I'd never heard TDEE but that number is 2,329, very close to what GNC guy said I need to LOSE weight.

Looking over my past few weeks, I see my actual calorie consumption has been at 1,500 WITHOUT deductions, closer to 1200 on the days I did deduct--I often choose not to record it. A couple of weeks ago, I ate more--the week that I was told to up my calories--and I lost 3 lbs. but they came right back on last week when I went back to eating 1,500. Probably was just water weight? But the last 3 days, I've tried to eat more like 1800 and I was down again 3 lbs. this morning.

The GNC guy uses a formula he wrote down for me. Base weight X 12, 13, 14, or 15 depending on your activity level. That's how he got 2,340 cal (180 lbs X13). Height, age were not relevant. Then he said 1 gram protein = 4 cal, 1 gram carbs = 4 cal, 1 gram of fat = 9 cal. SO based on 40/40/20, I should aim for 234 grams of protein, 234 grams of carbs, and 52 grams of fat. I'm not getting even close to this--would have to be eating all day.

The same day GNC guy said this, my tiny 5'2" 113-lb fitness guru client told me she eats 2,000 calories daily. She doesn't deduct for workouts. She looked at my MFP diary and said I need to be aiming for at least 40% protein. (She also recommended Dr. Delrae but her products are crazy expensive.) Prior to this I wasn't aiming for any particular PFC ratio. I've been trying to up the protein since.

If I'm taking in 1500 cal and not deducting for exercise, I fear I'll be dipping under 1,200 and I truly believe that's too low from everything I've read. The only thing I could really give up to achieve this would be my evening wine (which I count--every ounce-- and it's low GI/GL).

I don't know guys. It just seems physically impossible that I'm not losing weight.

I learned about GL yesterday (vs. GI) and maybe I'll try a low glycemic load diet.

no meds

Thank you for the time you took. I'm not on any meds. See my longer post below. Are you saying 1300 plus not deduct for exercise?

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You don't immediately gain fat/muscle weight. Anything that happens on a short time frame is likely water and/or foodstuff in the GI tract. If you obsess too much over daily fluctuations you'll go crazy. Weekly moving averages are best, IMO, and nothing will be meaningfully stable up to a few weeks into a new diet and routine.

Just out of curiosity, can you post up your exact diet log for a day or two?
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Good to know, Lolakitten!

AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    jfeuling- most likely you're over eating and waaay over estimating your calories burned during exercises, yeah yeah, I read that you think you're absolutely not. Forget "net" calories, keep it simple and focus on your calorie intake, majority of the time people have a tendency to think they are burning much more calories than they really are and therefore end up over eating. Forget about the calories burned counters on cardio machines or on an app, those things are usually highly over estimated also. Figure out what your TDEE is, along with your Daily maintenance calories eat at a deficit. 2,300 calories is too high if you want to lose weight.
    Very much this. The machine calories lie and studies have shown that just about EVERYONE athlete or not, overestimates their burn and then overestimates their eating to replace their overestimated burn.
    Obsession is a term the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

exact diet log

Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    You don't immediately gain fat/muscle weight. Anything that happens on a short time frame is likely water and/or foodstuff in the GI tract. If you obsess too much over daily fluctuations you'll go crazy. Weekly moving averages are best, IMO, and nothing will be meaningfully stable up to a few weeks into a new diet and routine.

Just out of curiosity, can you post up your exact diet log for a day or two?
    The old expression, you didn't gain it overnight, don't expect to lose it overnight. Well, I do gain fast. I gained that last 8 lbs. in one week, my first week at the gym and since then my weight has stayed the same daily, with the exception of the two 3-lb. fluctuations I mentioned. When I quit smoking my weight shot up 12 lbs. in two weeks.

Here's yesterday, a 1900 cal--day when I tried to eat more (and I was down this morning on the scale).
    BKFST: 1 oz. organic half and half in 2 cups of coffee
    1 serving of steel cut oats with 1/2 scoop Iso Sensation 93 plus 8 oz. skim milk and 1 tbsp Chia seeds
    LUNCH: Protein shake with 1 scoop FitMiss Vanilla Chai and 5 medium strawberries
    DINNER: 3 oz. sirloin and 1 oz. feta, 1 tsp EVOO, 1/4 avocado, 1 T balsamic on 2 cups mixed greens
    grilled broccoli and peppers with a little EVOO
    1 gin with Diet Tonic
    6 oz pinot grigio
    SNACKS:Quest bar, 5 oz merlot, 1 cup frozen yogurt

I also bicycled 9 miles up and down hills and lifted weight for 20 minutes.

A more typical 1500 cal day (last Saturday):
    2 whole Eggland's Best eggs and 1 slice of brown rice bread with 1 pat of unsalted pasture-fed butter
    LUNCH: Protein shake with 32 g. peanut butter, 1/2 small banana, 1 scoop FitMiss Vanilla Chai and 8 oz. skim milk
    DINNER: We went out that night to celebrate my besty turning 50 so...
    3 glasses of Sauvignon Blanc, skinless chicken breast, green beans, 1 bite of terrible au gratin potatoes, 1 popover with 1 T honey butter.
    SNACK: Chia Health Warrior bar
    I also biked 9 miles interval and lifted weight for 20 minutes on this day.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The old expression, you didn't gain it overnight, don't expect to lose it overnight. Well, I do gain fast. I gained that last 8 lbs. in one week, my first week at the gym and since then my weight has stayed the same daily, with the exception of the two 3-lb. fluctuations I mentioned. When I quit smoking my weight shot up 12 lbs. in two weeks.
    Think about it. At 12 pounds you're looking at roughly a 42000 kcal surplus over 14 days, or 3000 kcal/day usable surplus (~ 100% conversion efficiency). It wasn't fat. It was weight but not the kind of weight you should worry about.

Here's yesterday, a 1900 cal--day when I tried to eat more (and I was down this morning on the scale).
    1 serving of steel cut oats with 1/2 scoop Iso Sensation 93 plus 8 oz. skim milk and 1 tbsp Chia seeds
    LUNCH: Protein shake with 1 scoop FitMiss Vanilla Chai and 5 medium strawberries
    DINNER: 3 oz. sirloin and 1 oz. feta, 1 tsp EVOO, 1/4 avocado, 1 T balsamic on 2 cups mixed greens
    grilled broccoli and peppers with a little EVOO
    1 gin with Diet Tonic
    6 oz pinot grigio
    SNACKS:Quest bar, 5 oz merlot, 1 cup frozen yogurt

2 whole Eggland's Best eggs and 1 slice of brown rice bread with 1 pat of unsalted pasture-fed butter
    LUNCH: Protein shake with 32 g. peanut butter, 1/2 small banana, 1 scoop FitMiss Vanilla Chai and 8 oz. skim milk
    DINNER: We went out that night to celebrate my besty turning 50 so...
    3 glasses of Sauvignon Blanc, skinless chicken breast, green beans, 1 bite of terrible au gratin potatoes, 1 popover with 1 T honey butter.
    SNACK: Chia Health Warrior bar
    Where's the calorie estimate for each line?
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    Think about it. At 12 pounds you're looking at roughly a 42000 kcal surplus over 14 days, or 3000 kcal/day usable surplus (~ 100% conversion efficiency). It wasn't fat. It was weight but not the kind of weight you should worry about.
    I don't understand. It sprang on and it's stayed on. I'm worried about it.

Where's the calorie estimate for each line?
    OK. I'll add it.

REPOSTED WITH CALORIES FOR EACH MEAL (Thank you for holding me accountable. Finally, someone who wants to hear what I ate --female joke)

352 CAL BKFST: 1 oz. organic half and half (39) in 2 cups of coffee (5)
    1 serving of steel cut oats (140) with 1/2 scoop Iso Sensation 93 (65)plus 8 oz. skim milk(43) and 1 tbsp Chia seeds (60)
    199 CAL LUNCH: Protein shake with 1 scoop FitMiss Vanilla Chai (90), 1 c. skim milk (90) and 5 medium strawberries (19)
    806 CAL DINNER: 3 oz. sirloin (208) and 1 oz. feta (75), 1 tsp EVOO (40), 1/4 avocado (92), 1 T balsamic (10) on 2 cups mixed greens (15)
    grilled broccoli (27)and peppers (13) with a little EVOO--trace amount
    1 gin with Diet Tonic (212)
    6 oz pinot grigio (114)
    526 CAL SNACKS:Quest bar (200), 5 oz merlot (106), 1 cup frozen yogurt (220)

343 CAL BKFST: 1 oz. organic half and half (39) in 2 cups of coffee (5)
    2 whole Eggland's Best eggs (140) and 1 slice of brown rice bread (110) with 1 pat of unsalted pasture-fed butter (55)
    423 CAL LUNCH: Protein shake with 32 g. peanut butter (190), 1/2 small banana (52), 1 scoop FitMiss Vanilla Chai (90)and 8 oz. skim milk (90)
    655 CAL DINNER: We went out that night to celebrate my besty turning 50 so...
    3 glasses of Sauvignon Blanc (285), skinless chicken breast (92 because I ate 2 oz), green beans (60), 1 bite of terrible au gratin potatoes, (33) 1 popover (115) with 1 T honey butter (70).
    110 CAL SNACK: Chia Health Warrior bar (110)

[QUOTE=mslman71;1093848223]Think about it. At 12 pounds you're looking at roughly a 42000 kcal surplus over 14 days, or 3000 kcal/day usable surplus (~ 100% conversion efficiency). It wasn't fat. It was weight but not the kind of weight you should worry about.

I don't understand. It's weight that jumped on and stayed on. I'm worried about it.

lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000) lolakitten is a name known to all. (+5000)

8 oz. skim milk(43)
    1 c. skim milk (90)
    Probably a typo, but none the less...

OP - you consume a lot of alcohol & dairy (& probably sodium) - things that turn me into a sponge. I can easily gain 10lb of water in a week if I ate a lot of that stuff. Do you feel bloated?

Registered User TiberiusClaudis's Avatar
    TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TiberiusClaudis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    jf...I can sense your frustration. So it's very important that you stay focus and listen to what these "season vets" say.

When losing weight, exercise is important but getting your diet lined out is vital.

Like the rest of the posters, I think your calorie intake is much higher than what you may think it is. Just for an experiment, try one day of fasting, to see what happens. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

Drink ONLY water, black coffee or green tea during the day.
    For BF eat one boiled egg.

For Lunch eat salad with only vinegar dressing

For dinner, have one breast of chicken (baked or bar-b-q) and a small portion of steamed green beans. Nothing extra on it like butter, except salt and pepper.

That's it. No supplements. You can exercise if you wish, but don't drink or eat anything but the above.

I'd be curious what this one day experiment turns up. I'd expect you'd lose atleast a lb but probably more. This would confirm that something isn't "up" (read different) with your metabolism and that you are a member of the human species.

Nothing to lose but 24 hr and some hunger pain.

BTW, I'm NOT saying to eat only this from now on, but I want you to see evidence of what a cal reduction diet can do.
    And when Caesar reached the Oceanside, he wept. As there were no more worlds to conquer.

I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

Originally Posted by lolakitten View Post
    Probably a typo, but none the less...

OP - you consume a lot of alcohol & dairy (& probably sodium) - things that turn me into a sponge. I can easily gain 10lb of water in a week if I ate a lot of that stuff. Do you feel bloated?
    Actually I never feel bloated anymore. Those were two bad days for alcohol--out on the town on Saturday and on vacation this week. But in all honesty, I do often drink two 5-oz. glasses of wine, which is a lot, I guess. I work 60-80 hr. weeks and I've fallen into that habit which I'm finding hard to break. The dairy became high when I started on the protein shakes in March. I don't like the protein powder with water.
    Last edited by jfeuling; 06-26-2013 at 04:41 PM.

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Umm..ive heard people say a 1000x you need to up your calories because your starving your body and its fighting the battle to lose weight..ive read the very things on this site over and over..i would say to raise your metabolism?..I dont know..not a food scientist myself...

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TiberiusClaudis View Post
    jf...I can sense your frustration. So it's very important that you stay focus and listen to what these "season vets" say.

When losing weight, exercise is important but getting your diet lined out is vital.

Like the rest of the posters, I think your calorie intake is much higher than what you may think it is. Just for an experiment, try one day of fasting, to see what happens. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning.

Drink ONLY water, black coffee or green tea during the day.
    For BF eat one boiled egg.

For Lunch eat salad with only vinegar dressing

For dinner, have one breast of chicken (baked or bar-b-q) and a small portion of steamed green beans. Nothing extra on it like butter, except salt and pepper.

That's it. No supplements. You can exercise if you wish, but don't drink or eat anything but the above.

I'd be curious what this one day experiment turns up. I'd expect you'd lose atleast a lb but probably more. This would confirm that something isn't "up" (read different) with your metabolism and that you are a member of the human species.

Nothing to lose but 24 hr and some hunger pain.

BTW, I'm NOT saying to eat only this from now on, but I want you to see evidence of what a cal reduction diet can do.
    DUDE..if that is all someone ate of course they will lose weight..and then say f&*( it and go eat a real meal. What you just suggested wouldnt fill an infant much less a man or woman..IF that is what it would take to lose weight no wonder we fail.

SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000)
    A n00b's opinion:

The problem you have is that you have very little room for error. Assuming you're lightly active, if you want to lose a pound a week than you're looking at about 1,500 kcal a day. Your maintenance is about 2,000 so even if you're off by a little in terms of diet or exercise you're going to eat into that deficit.

My guess would be that you aren't burning as many calories and that you're consuming more than you think you are. I think this is far more likely to be the case than a decrease in your metabolic rate.

Take four weeks. Weigh and record everything you eat and drink. Have no snacks or cheats or wine. Record the number of calories you burn on machines using sports sites figures rather than the machines. Always underestimate them. If you still aren't losing weigh then you may want to consider other factors.
    Squat (noun) A means of helping men understand what it feels like to give birth.

SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Bottom line is you need to eat less! I dont care if you call it a log miscalculation, formulas being used for activity or whatever else. If your not losing weight then your not burning enough calories! That your 180 lbs and havent even lost water weight also is a bit telling in your food choices which you say is spot on.

poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) poundXpound has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Also, the consumption of alcohol has an adverse affect on fat loss.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md19.htm
    A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. And that's why the USA is a constitutional republic and not a democracy.

emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by poundXpound View Post

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md19.htm
    Couple of other articles on alcohol, fat loss, muscle gain which are worth a read.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...e_to_alcohol_1

Originally Posted by SugarFree1 View Post
    Bottom line is you need to eat less! I dont care if you call it a log miscalculation, formulas being used for activity or whatever else. If your not losing weight then your not burning enough calories! That your 180 lbs and havent even lost water weight also is a bit telling in your food choices which you say is spot on.
    I wouldn't claim my diet is spot on. I should probably be eating way more vegetables for one thing. I only said that I make good choices most of the time--I'll have a salad, not pizza. I'll have a protein shake, not a cheeseburger.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You are relying on other peoples information too much.

You have the internet. Do the research for yourself because this only way to really get the answer that will help you and you alone.

If you trust other too much then when you faik you can always blame them for your failure.

Trust yourself and you will do well.

The problem mention oats, protein shakes and quest bars. If you had just one serving per day of each of these it would be close to 1000 calories. Thats not couting any other food.

If you were my client I would recommend that you skip the workouts this week and focus on the diet, shoot for 1500 calories per day of food. not bars and shakes but food meat and veggies.

You should see the scale move by weeks end as long as you are tracking it right.

Next week add in a few days of workouts to your liking but not a full fledged schedule.. You might need to adjust the calores up by 100 or so per day but stick to the 1500 first and see how that goes. You will still lose with that.

I believe the article about alchohol but it is possible to lose weight anyway.

Originally Posted by poundXpound View Post
    ]
    Thanks. I'm not sure I'm willing to give up wine. I'm a 50-yr. old grandma of 13 and I enjoy every sip. My family is in the wine business and it's one of my dearest hobbies. It is very low GI and GL and as long as I'm counting every ounce, I don't know why I have to give it up. I know lots of skinny winos. Until 6 months ago when I quit smoking, I was 20 lbs. lighter, a size 8, and I ate and drank whatever I wanted.

The article you referred to me also says "...your body tends to use whatever you feed it, and after a time becomes adapted to the macro nutrient intake." This would indicate that I need to shake things up by decreasing or increasing calories and maybe one of the first suggestions--6 days on and 1 day refeed.