Closed Thread
Page 1 of 308 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    I'll start lifting later. tential's Avatar
    tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

AllPro: A Simple Beginner's Routine part IV

Don't rep me for this thread, just continuing it since threads aren't allowed to go over 10k posts.
    ------------------------
    Part 1:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    Part 2:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=133395553
    Part 3:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=147447933

Read the FAQ Below before asking any questions please!

Originally Posted by allpro
    A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.
    Last edited by tential; 06-25-2013 at 06:30 PM.

tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tential has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    FAQ
    Question 1: So how many sets am I doing exactly?
    Answer: You are doing exactly 2 work-sets for each exercise. In addition, you are doing 2 warm-up sets for the first three exercises only (Squats, Bench Press and Bent Over Rows) - the remaining four exercises do not require warm-ups, however you can do them if you feel the need to. Here is a blue-print for all the sets you should be doing, in that order:

Squats: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Bench Press: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Bent Over Row: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Over Head Press: work-set, work-set
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts: work-set, work-set
    Curls: work-set, work-set
    Calf Raises: work-set, work-set

Q2: How do I know what weight I should get started with for each exercise in the routine?
    A:
    This is explained in detail here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post928710923

Q3: Will I gain muscle mass on this routine?
    A:
    despite what you may think, gaining muscle mass is not just about lifting weights; the training is just a catalyst, which will create the conditions necessary for new musclee to be built. However, to actually build that muscle, you need to eat at a calorie surplus (consume more calories than you burn). There is no way around this, and you will not be able to avoid having to do some simple calculations if you want results. To understand this, visit this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981 and make sure to read and understand the entire first post by Emma. If you have any questions regarding diet, ask them in that thread. This is possibly the single most important thread you can read over here - if you will only read on thread, let it be that one.

Q4: I have never lifted before and I am completely out of shape. Is this routine appropriate for me?
    A:
    All Pro designed this routine with EXACTLY you in mind. It's perfect for you.

Q5: I have tested my 10 rep maxes for each exercise. I have already completed two full weeks of the first cycle, and the weights seem too low for me, I feel like I could lift much more! Should I increase the weight?
    A:
    first things first - avoid increasing weight mid-cycle and only do it with the beginning of the next cycle if necessary. Second, the routine is designed so that the first 2-3 weeks will feel relatively easy - this is true for everyone, and you are not superman for feeling the same thing. Finish the first cycle completely (full 5 weeks) without adding any weight to any exercise, even if it does feel too simple. If at the end of the 5th week of the first cycle you still feel that some of the weights are way too low, you may attempt to increase the weight by slightly more than 10% for the next cycle - however, this only makes sense if it was REALLY too easy for you. if it was just a "little" easy, you're better off sticking with the program. All of these dilemmas can be avoided if you simply test your 10 rep maxes for each exercise properly, so make sure to take your time doing that properly.

Q6: there is no triceps exercise in this routine, what gives?
    A:
    your triceps are being hit quite hard during both Bench Presses and the Overhead Presses - as a beginner, you do not need more than that. Do not add any extra triceps work or you are almost guaranteed to fail on either the BP's or the OHP's, or both.

Q7: I like doing pull-ups, push-ups, and standing on my head. Can I add in those exercises into the routine?
    A:
    do not add any extra exercises until you have completed a minimum of 3 cycles. Once you're going into the fourth, and you feel like you need to do some extra work on certain muscles, you can add an isolated assistance exercise for them - do only one set and at the very end of your routine (after calf raises). The assistance exercise follows the same rep scheme as all the other exercises. And do not ever add more than one assistance exercise per cycle - if you do so, and some of your other lifts stall, you won't know which of your new additions might have caused that stall. Stick to only adding one extra assistance exercise per cycle, up to a maximum of two (though I believe that is already pushing it). Only do this if you know and have solid reason to believe that you really do require that extra assistance work - if uncertain, ask in this thread, someone will surely help you out.

Q8: Why are there no regular Deadlifts in this routine, only stiff-legged deadlifts? I feel like a boss doing deadlifts
    A:
    there are two reasons for that:

1) Neither squats nor regular deadlifts address the posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, spinal erectors complex) properly. By doing squats + stiff-legged deadlifts, this problem is solved, and a balance is introduced.

2) Squats and regular deadlifts are two exercises that are very taxing to the central nervous system. As a beginner if you did both of those exercises on the same routine, you are more likely to burn out sooner than later. Stif-legged deadlifts solve this issue.

Q9: what type of extra cardio should I do?
    A:
    it is best that you do not overdo your cardio on this routine, since it can get you fatigued enough to hamper your performance in the gym. Two 30 minute jogging sessions (moderate heart rate or HIIT) per week should be enough. I would make sure that none of your cardio takes place on the day right before any of your heavy days. Do any cardio you want to do on rest days. Remember though that cardio is primarily good for your cardiovascular system's health - for fat loss, your diet will be far more important than any cardio that you do.

Q10: What type of ab workouts should I do?
    A:
    seems like everyone responds to different ab exercises, so you will just have to try for yourself and see which one works best for you. you can do cardio either on your off days, or on your work-out days right after the work-out, assuming you still have enough energy for them. if you go for crunches or similar, make sure to do them with extra weight - aim for 15 reps on the first week of the cycle, and add 2 extra reps per week for a total of 25 reps on week 5 of the cycle. Ab workout is not necessary for everybody though - your midsection is getting tons of workout in this routine since it acts as a stabilizer in basically every single exercise. So up to you to decide, though it's probably a good idea not to introduce cardio until after you've completed the entire first cycle. Start with one set, and if it does not hinder your performance in the other exercises - add a second set at the start of the next cycle.

Q11: Are there any videos that show how each exercise should be performed?
    A:
    there are tons of them online. A good place to get started is this playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FAF74A332E11464

Q12: Can I substitute any of the exercises in this routine for other exercises?
    A:
    as a general rule, no, you can't (barring certain situations where an injury may prevent you from doing a specific movement). One exception being the curls, which can be substituted for standing upright rows (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...prightRow.html). This is more of a compound exercise and it actually fits the rest of the routine more nicely. Curls were added by all pro mostly because "everyone would want to do them anyway", so if your ego will survive it, go for the upright rows instead of the curls - it's a far better overall body exercise. Up to you though.

Q13: Can I use dumbbells instead of a barbell to perform the exercises in this routine?
    A:
    Yes, you can. However, keep in mind that the program was designed with a barbell in mind; some of these exercises are more difficult to perform correctly with dumbbells, not to mention that as the weights you lift increase, your grip on the dumbbells will become a limiting factor (not so with a barbell). Do everything you can to get your hands on a bar, and only use dumbbells as a last resort.

Q14: damn, I missed my medium training day due to [insert any reason here]. What should I do?
    A:
    if for some reason you are not capable of performing three exercises on a given week, you can perform only two, however both will then have to be heavy days. Allow a minimum of 2 rest days both before and after your second heavy day on such a week. However, doing this too often will hinder recovery - the routine was very carefully designed for 3 weekly workouts, and changing that should only be done in extreme cases.

Q15: So I managed to complete all reps for both work-sets for all exercises on my "test day" (heavy day of week 5). How much should I increase my weights for those exercises?
    A:
    You should add 10% to each exercise that you passed, and don't forget to include the weight of the bar. For example, if you use an Olympic 45 lbs. bar, and you load that with 55 lbs. for squats, you would increase the weight up to (55 + 45)*1,1 for the next cycle, which would make it 110 lbs (again, this includes the barbell).

Q16: So I have managed to complete all reps for all exercises on all workouts, except for the overhead press... I only managed to get 11 reps on the second work-set of week 5 heavy day for those... can I bump the weight up anyway for the next cycle? I mean come on, I only missed one rep... pretty please?
    A:
    You can already see by the sarcastic way the question above was phrased that the answer is going to be "no" you can only increase the weight for the next cycle by 10% if you manage to complete 12 reps for each work-set on heavy day of week 5. Not a single rep more, and not a single rep less. If you failed even a single rep, you will need to repeat the weight for that failed exercise for the duration of the entire next cycle (5 week period). This is a safe-guard designed to make sure you do not keep infinitely stalling on the same exercise and to give the involved muscles enough time to rest and recover for some more banging.

Q17: How do I know if I am a "Beginner" or not?
    A:
    A beginner is, generally speaking, anyone who cannot squat twice his body weight, and bench press 1,5 times his body weight, for one repetition. So if you weigh 200 lbs for example, you should be able to squat once for close to 400 lbs. and bench press once for close to 300 lbs, in order to be considered to have moved beyond the "beginner" stage. It has nothing to do with how long you have been lifting weights - there are many people who have been going to the gym for a few years and who are still considered beginners. As long as your lifts are noticeably below the threshold described above, you are still a beginner and you'll benefit greatly from this routine.

Useful Links

One Rap Max Calculator
    http://www.naturalphysiques.com/18/o...max-calculator

WIP
    Last edited by tential; 06-24-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Reserved...

redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice new thread! Program rocks! I'm on cycle 7 week 3 and very happy with my progress and results.

Hey can we fix the links on first page. Use the '\[url=http://...\]linkname\[/url\] format. With the '\' removed.
    Last edited by redcaesar; 06-24-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    LBS - BF Date Comment
    185.2- 23.8% 02/01/2012<started cardio/ate better
    175.4- 19.9% 04/04/2012<added weights 2/w
    168.6- 18.6% 09/04/2012<added extra day. Now 3/w weights
    166.6- 18.5% 10/02/2012<started IF w/Cal deficit and BCAA's+FastedTrain
    165.4- 18.0% 10/09/2012<started All pro - Simple Beginner's
    159.2- 16.4% 11/01/2012<dexa scan at 18.3%
    140.4- 12.9% 02/21/2013
    137.5- 9.9% 03/01/2013 <dexa scan at 6.7%!
    155- 12.0% 07/07/2013<slowbulk/recomp/maint?

ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ABRMess006 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just gotta say, LOVE this program for any who are thinking of starting it, do it! I am only 4 weeks in and have seen great results. Also wanted to get on first page

Subbed!

Also OP, note that there may be confusion on Week 5/Test day only because I didn't fully understand it until I saw someone bring it up. Might need to change the wording so everyone understands that you DO increase the weight for the next cycle of the lifts that you complete on test day, and DO NOT increase the weight of the sets you failed on test day.

I only bring this up because the way it is worded, I was under the impression if you missed one lift by a couple reps, ALL excerises stay the same weight, which is not the case.

chubbybones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chubbybones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    tential,
    Thanks for keeping this topic alive and i like the new additions you've made.
    For anyone looking to start this program,do it!,it works!
    How to figure out your 10rm starting weights,

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133395553&p=928710923&viewfull=1#post928710923

RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RBZen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in on new thread
    400LB: December 6, 2012
    350LB: April 1, 2013
    300LB: June 15, 2013
    Current: 263
    Lost: 132

Currently Cycle 5 of AllPro Beginners

CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000) CharvelSoCal is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why not IV?

iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10) iinkz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm going to start this tonight and I'm excited about it. It'll be a change from my 4 day Tom Mutaffis split routine. Quick question: Does it matter whether the overhead presses are done standing up or sitting down? Or does it come down to personal preferences?

OscarTX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm on my third week of this program and I like it!

hgivens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    About to start this program tomorrow, read through probably 20 pages and definitely going to go through 3 or 4 cycles and see how well I gain. I do have a few questions.

Say I'm on week 3 or 4 and I'm supposed to get in 11 or 12 reps each set. What if I hit failure at 9 reps, should I lower the weight for my second set or should I continue with the same weight no matter what?

FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50) FrankFF will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    .. in on first page!!

Great new re incarnation of the thread.

Big thanks for the how to videos will be a real help you noobs like me just starting the program.

Frank FF
    Last edited by FrankFF; 06-25-2013 at 07:26 AM.
    MWF

Running in Ironman Wales Triathlon 2014 in aid of the Macmillan cancer charity.

http://www.justgiving.com/frank-williams2

Be generous.

LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000) LASound is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by CharvelSoCal View Post
    Why not IV?
    Cause the Romans wrote 4 as IIII
    Making Music
    Woodworking
    Darts

Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In.......

Cycle 5 here, and going strong!

Tential: Agree on IV. Plus the ab section seems to have some cardio stuff mixed in with it. But apart from that, great job and like the addition of videos!

For the newbs: Just show up. Move some iron. Put in the time. Eat enough food.... it'll work just fine. Don't expect to look like Arnie in a week, though!

sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100) sufcboy95 is not very well liked. (-100)
    How much rest should i have between sets?

Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000)
    Always had a question regarding the progression philosophy behind this program.

Assuming that you aim to increase the weights by 10% on each lift after every successful 5 week cycle, that would mean that as you progress through the program cycle through cycle, the amount of absolute weight you add between each successful cycle increases.

Say your 10RM squat is 100LBS for the first cycle.

Assuming you hit all reps for 5 weeks, you move to 100x1.1 = 110LBS for the second cycle. That's an increase in 10LBS.

For the 3rd cycle, it would be 110x1.1 = 121LBS, which is an increase in 11LBS.

So my point is...as the trainee starts to reach higher 10RM weights such as 200-300+LBS for a lift, wouldn't the increase in weight between each cycle be too much? I'd find it hard to always progress with a 10% increase as a guideline, especially since it is compounded.

Not bashing or doubting the program, as it is already proven to be effective. Just curious as to what everyone's opinion on this is.
    My Lifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154479513

Quest to strength, one training session at a time

noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10) noobydooby is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^^ the program is for beginners.. i think if you can do heavy weights, beyond the definition of a 'beginner', then this program is no longer applicable, and you need to move on to more advanced programs.
    Last edited by noobydooby; 06-25-2013 at 03:28 AM.

mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In on page 1

redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50) redcaesar will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes should be IV

Originally Posted by CharvelSoCal View Post
    Why not IV?
    LBS - BF Date Comment
    185.2- 23.8% 02/01/2012<started cardio/ate better
    175.4- 19.9% 04/04/2012<added weights 2/w
    168.6- 18.6% 09/04/2012<added extra day. Now 3/w weights
    166.6- 18.5% 10/02/2012<started IF w/Cal deficit and BCAA's+FastedTrain
    165.4- 18.0% 10/09/2012<started All pro - Simple Beginner's
    159.2- 16.4% 11/01/2012<dexa scan at 18.3%
    140.4- 12.9% 02/21/2013
    137.5- 9.9% 03/01/2013 <dexa scan at 6.7%!
    155- 12.0% 07/07/2013<slowbulk/recomp/maint?

Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jimmer74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sufcboy95 View Post
    How much rest should i have between sets?
    From the OP (which is on the same page you posted on, btw):

You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fatboy501 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In! Still loving AP. If my fat ass can do it everyone reading this questioning themselves about starting needs to stfu and lift.

Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
    Always had a question regarding the progression philosophy behind this program.

Assuming that you aim to increase the weights by 10% on each lift after every successful 5 week cycle, that would mean that as you progress through the program cycle through cycle, the amount of absolute weight you add between each successful cycle increases.

Say your 10RM squat is 100LBS for the first cycle.

Assuming you hit all reps for 5 weeks, you move to 100x1.1 = 110LBS for the second cycle. That's an increase in 10LBS.

For the 3rd cycle, it would be 110x1.1 = 121LBS, which is an increase in 11LBS.

So my point is...as the trainee starts to reach higher 10RM weights such as 200-300+LBS for a lift, wouldn't the increase in weight between each cycle be too much? I'd find it hard to always progress with a 10% increase as a guideline, especially since it is compounded.

Not bashing or doubting the program, as it is already proven to be effective. Just curious as to what everyone's opinion on this is.
    My take on this is that at the beginning, you should just stick to 10%. However, after you are 4-5 cycles in, you know the lifts, you know how your body copes with the lifts, etc, etc. If you think a 10% increase will result in a guaranteed fail in the next cycle, why not bump it up by 7.5% or 5%? As your experience increases and the load increases and the 10% jumps become bigger then I think you should use your best judgement.

A complete newb to the routine should just do the programme as written. Once you've lived it and breathed it for a while..... then you can tweak it IMHO.

aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aceedkins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I'm going to go ahead and do a small cut (about 10 pounds) even though I'm not all that muscular yet; I really don't feel comfortable continuing to bulk at this BF %, I'm about 5'8'' and 170 pounds. So my maintenance is 2500 calories, should I be taking in about 2100 in order to cut? Can anyone on a similar calorie diet help me figure out what I should be eating for breakfast lunch and dinner?

Registered User thousandreasons's Avatar
    thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10) thousandreasons is on a distinguished road. (+10)

In on 1st page!

Question in regards to rounding weights:

For example, my bench is currently at 65kg and for next cycle I am moving up the required 10%. Now 65kg + 10% is 71.5kg.

I know I round down to 70kg for my heavy day but for the medium and light days do I minus the 10% & 20% off 71.5kg or 70kg?

Thanks in advance APers.

Going into 4th cycle, loving it! Should've clarified this sooner but ah well.
    Pursuing NZ Aesthetics.

RIP Zyzz, gone but not forgotten brah.

My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148951783

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Page 1!
    The floundering has ended.

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    IIII versus IV: This is because "IV" is an abbreviation for Jupiter in Roman times. (Probably this question will be asked every page since no one will look back and see that it is answered)

TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheRealTmac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Two questions:

1. Do the days you do the different workouts matter? Could I do my heavy day Wednesday and light day on Monday?

2. I don't have the flexibility to do the stiff legged dead lifts. I can maybe go down a few inches at most before my back starts to round. If I leave them out will it be a big deal? If not, what should I do?

deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) deejalert has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, noobie to the program in on1st page.

Running a cut on 1800 cals for the first 2 cycles. Hoping to cut 15lbs and jump into cycle 3 on a slow bulk. Got two workouts in on the program and loving that I actually break a sweat routine. Feels like I am training more than resting(although I really needed the longer rests near the end of my stronglifts run).

Plan on 3 mile runs 2 days a week and a spin class with the wife on non lifting days, just to get a little extra calorie burn while cutting.
    2/20/2012 288 LBS
    9/4/2012 172 LBS
    10/31/2012 156 LBS
    12/2012/ rotator cuff repair
    2/2013 back in gym
    6/18/2013 187 (not so clean bulk)
    7/6/2013 177.8
    7/20/2013 175.2
    Goal: 165 by end of august

All Pros Beginning routine C1 Week 5

Beginning Cycle 2 7/27/2013