alexchino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training someone recovering from anorexia, please help!

So my manager just gave me a new client who has been in and out of treatment for anorexia, from a psychology point of view I know much of the disorder, however as a PT this is my first time training this type of individual. I was wondering what kind of exercises I should/should NOT be doing with this individual. I know she has been diagnosed with osteoporosis and has told me that she wants to be able to run a mile. I started with basic resistance training and have gotten her on a cardio program. Has anyone else trained an individual recovering from anorexia? Any advice would be great, I am new to personal training, however have been training for years and have a masters degree in psychology, just not 100% how to go about with this youth. Thanks!

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Your job is not to help with the psychology of the whole thing, your job is to help the person gain healthy weight and enjoy physical activity. I'd keep things very simple and straightforward at the beginning but if they want to run a mile, focus on things that may help them do that ie leg strength (which will help them develop more muscle overall).

Are they in therapy? Hopefully they still have some sort of support around the disease - but that isn't your job. If they try to start treating you like a therapist, make sure you establish that boundary very quickly. Basically treat them like anyone else who is trying to gain weight. Nutrition is obviously an issue but again - that's not your job and should be attended to by an RD or someone qualified (which you can refer them to hopefully if they ask).