Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Angry RANT! Do Any Other Women Get Pissed When...

...well intentioned or not, some guy comments on your "nice tone" when you worked your a$$ off to build MUSCLE? Save the "tone" comments for ballet dancers, I have MUSCLE, dammit! OK, rant over. Anyone else????

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No, because most people in the real world aren't familiar with bb lingo. It's like when dieting down for a show and someone comments on you looking thin/skinny instead of saying lean.

I smile, take my compliment and move along...
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CashmereNCamo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    No, because most people in the real world aren't familiar with bb lingo. It's like when dieting down for a show and someone comments on you looking thin/skinny instead of saying lean.

lol... Can't help but smile at your reference to "the real world." Our lifestyle is surreal, isn't it? Yeah, I ultimately come to that same conclusion, but sometimes I just want to rant (and I'm too old for PMS! lol)

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post

^^this.

It doesn't bother me because to most people, "toned" is a complement. Some guy told me I looked like a gymnast, and another asked if I was a dancer. I'd rather be told I look jacked but I know they were giving me a complement and just said "thanks."
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was in the produce section of my local grocery store yesterday and had a gentleman come up to me and ask if I was a swimmer. He said I looked 'in shape.' I simply said I don't swim and left it at that. Even if he didn't say muscular, I still took it as a compliment.

NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10) NatAlt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Had a similar experience with a PT at my gym who I haven't run in to for a couple of months, he asked me how training was going and joyfully remarked "Yeah your shoulders are looking really big!" before panicking, bless him, and looking for more 'female friendly' terminology, "I mean.... toned...?", and we both laughed.

Kimm's exactly right; we live in a world where most ladies would probably be offended to be told they're looking big, thick or even muscular. People close to you will probably come around to using your terminology to comment but, if a randomer pays you a compliment, take it and run - at least that's what I do!

LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LyssieDoll88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The Other Day I Got SOOO Excited Brcause I Am Atarting To See Veins In My Arms! My Sorority Sister Was In Horror/Shock ThatThS Is A Quality I Pray To The Bodybuilding Gods For! ! !
    Started at 350 pounds and 65% body fat
    Natural Women's Physique Competitor
    Future Ms. Natural Olympia

Motivadian and Lifestyle Coach

*NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE*

Follow my shenanigans on Instagram: Fabulyss88

heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I get the "you look so toned" comment a lot, but I know what people mean so I consider it a compliment. Many people assume I'm a runner too and although that isn't the look I'm going for, I am flattered by the insinuation because it means I look fit. I look like I "play sport", but bodybuilding is the last thing that pops into most people's minds because it isn't particularly common, especially among women.
    On a mini-cut, then onto maintenance mode for the summer.

Originally Posted by LyssieDoll88 View Post
    The Other Day I Got SOOO Excited Brcause I Am Atarting To See Veins In My Arms! My Sorority Sister Was In Horror/Shock ThatThS Is A Quality I Pray To The Bodybuilding Gods For! ! !
    lol... This is SOOOO my daughter!!!! She wants to be more vascular in an almost obsessive way. I used to laugh at her, but I understand what it means to her.

Yes, I've gotten "tone", "in shape", "Zumba instructor", "fit" and the like over the years. I realize it's a compliment and I can totally relate to NatAlt's comment about men looking for a "female friendly" term. It's like the inner struggle they go through trying to figure out whether or not to open a door for a woman in these days and times. *sigh* I was actually responding to a comment I got here (sent with a friend request) and thought "Shouldn't he know better?" But he's likely a newbie and it's harmless, if not heartwarming. What I did was accept, of course... then send him a private message and very nicely said that women who train hard to build muscle don't mind hearing terms like "build", "muscle", "physique", etc. Hell, someone recently said my legs look "beast" and I was overjoyed. (Of course THAT "someone" was a female!) lol.

anonymous
    At this point in my life, I appreciate any compliment I get, especially when it DOESN'T include "for your age....." At the end, lol!!

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by heidismommy View Post
    I get the "you look so toned" comment a lot, but I know what people mean so I consider it a compliment. Many people assume I'm a runner too and although that isn't the look I'm going for, I am flattered by the insinuation because it means I look fit. I look like I "play sport", but bodybuilding is the last thing that pops into most people's minds because it isn't particularly common, especially among women.
    I had a guy I know also ask me if I've been running marathons. Most people don't understand the difference in all the looks for any given sport. But you said it well - people think we just look fit and that's a good thing.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Haha. I've never gotten 'toned.' My dad does this thing, though, when he sees me after I've been lifting: he goes "HNGH!" and does gorilla arms (you know, arms out from body, shoulders up, fists clenched to make the traps pop). It is sufficiently evocative of my ripped-ness to feel like a compliment and yet hilarious enough that I can accept it from my father.

dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000) dreahere is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DaniGrrl View Post
    I had a guy I know also ask me if I've been running marathons. Most people don't understand the difference in all the looks for any given sport. But you said it well - people think we just look fit and that's a good thing.
    This is very true. I had a woman in the gym locker room the other day ask me what I do (in the gym, to get the body I have)--yoga? When I told her no, mostly I lift weights, I could just see the look of confusion come over her face. To her, any small, fit-looking woman must do lots of yoga!
    "Eat some oatmeal, do some squats, how hard is that seriously."--Prof Ham
    ..............................................................................
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers
    ...............................................................................
    For the lulz and an occasional intelligent thought, plus pics:

http://musclemilkisnotaeuphemism.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by yogachic52 View Post
    At this point in my life, I appreciate any compliment I get, especially when it DOESN'T include "for your age....." At the end, lol!!
    Where's the "LIKE" button? lol

Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    As women, you should understand most guys are terrified/intimidated/scared to approach a fit/attractive woman and they're just trying not to pee their pants, babble out something stupid they saw on Youtube, praying their Big Bang Theory geeky ringtone doesn't go off and hoping they zipped up cause it's too late to check... What they really mean to say is: "Hi, my name's Chad, and you seem to be a really empowered, strong, independent woman with solid character and intellect who clearly deads, squats and has probably done some GVT, clearly on top of your macros"... But it just doesn't come out that way... We mean well, we're just more timid and stupid than you suspect...
    Calculating nutrition/calories
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
    Why your designed workout will probably suck/List of good beginner programs (part 5):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118004321
    Things worth your time to forum search and understand (for new people): CNS fatigue vs muscle fatigue, deloading, refeed, intensity vs volume, going to muscle failure, overreaching, overtraining, chronic fatigue, recovery.

Originally Posted by Ralikar View Post
    As women, you should understand most guys are terrified/intimidated/scared to approach a fit/attractive woman and they're just trying not to pee their pants, babble out something stupid they saw on Youtube, praying their Big Bang Theory geeky ringtone doesn't go off and hoping they zipped up cause it's too late to check now... What they really mean to say is: "Hi, my name's Chad, and you seem to be a really empowered, strong, independent woman with solid character and intellect who clearly deads, squats and has probably done some GVT, clearly on top of your macros"... But it just doesn't come out that way... We mean well, we're just more timid and stupid than you suspect...
    If some guy walked up to me and spit that out (coherently or otherwise), I'd be speechless (impressed, smitten, intrigued... ) I'd be thinking "Where has THIS been all my life?" ROFLMAO

thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As women, you should understand most guys are terrified/intimidated/scared to approach a fit/attractive woman and they're just trying not to pee their pants, babble out something stupid they saw on Youtube, praying their Big Bang Theory geeky ringtone doesn't go off and hoping they zipped up cause it's too late to check... What they really mean to say is: "Hi, my name's Chad, and you seem to be a really empowered, strong, independent woman with solid character and intellect who clearly deads, squats and has probably done some GVT, clearly on top of your macros"... But it just doesn't come out that way... We mean well, we're just more timid and stupid than you suspect...
    Lol!

anonymous
    love!

QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50) QueenD562 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Angry

May not be relevant but the other day I posted something about cable attachments and replied to someone about a link he posted saying it might be a good investment (they were infastraps) I could find good use for them anywho an idiot replied saying that its a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Thats not what pissed me off what did was his signature I guess thats what you would call it? It said "a recent survey showed that 1 in 3 woman are just as stupid as the other 2" I guess I shouldn't bother with it but I just wanted to vent, what an ass!

sarah30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by samson_419 View Post
    LoL. . . .

So toned is bad? I knew I never said it for a reason.

What would you prefer? Muscular - Doesn't sound right, Fit - Maybe
    You could say "fit" or "in good/great shape." Those are universal compliments. Another safe thing to say is that you appreciate or admire someone's work ethic. I had someone at my gym tell me they admired my work ethic and it felt good to hear. It's a good way to acknowledge someone's dedication without explicitly commenting on their physical appearance.

Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ralikar is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Maybe guys should admire/compliment women more for their personality, character, intellect because that's more important than 18% bf vs. 19%.
    Calculating nutrition/calories
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
    Why your designed workout will probably suck/List of good beginner programs (part 5):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118004321
    Things worth your time to forum search and understand (for new people): CNS fatigue vs muscle fatigue, deloading, refeed, intensity vs volume, going to muscle failure, overreaching, overtraining, chronic fatigue, recovery.

meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) meimonsta is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by QueenD562 View Post
    May not be relevant but the other day I posted something about cable attachments and replied to someone about a link he posted saying it might be a good investment (they were infastraps) I could find good use for them anywho an idiot replied saying that its a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Thats not what pissed me off what did was his signature I guess thats what you would call it? It said "a recent survey showed that 1 in 3 woman are just as stupid as the other 2" I guess I shouldn't bother with it but I just wanted to vent, what an ass!
    Haha putting other groups down to mask his own insecurity/incompetence...classic move.

And if I ever see any of you ladies on the streets, I'll be sure to note to you how awesomely muscular you are. Cause let's be real :-)

Originally Posted by meimonsta View Post
    Haha putting other groups down to mask his own insecurity/incompetence...classic move.

And if I ever see any of you ladies on the streets, I'll be sure to note to you how awesomely muscular you are. Cause let's be real :-)
    YOU, my dear, are QUITE awesome! Nice post!

Maybe guys should admire/compliment women more for their personality, character, intellect because that's more important than 18% bf vs. 19%.
    There's a thought...

Originally Posted by samson_419
    LoL. . . .

So toned is bad? I knew I never said it for a reason.

What would you prefer? Muscular - Doesn't sound right, Fit - Maybe
    Originally Posted by sarah30 View Post
    You could say "fit" or "in good/great shape." Those are universal compliments. Another safe thing to say is that you appreciate or admire someone's work ethic. I had someone at my gym tell me they admired my work ethic and it felt good to hear. It's a good way to acknowledge someone's dedication without explicitly commenting on their physical appearance.
    Personally, I shine when I hear "solid", "nice physique", "good build", "in shape", "fit"... I'll also take "awesome" graciously. Just sayin'. lol

EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is true, however...
    When we're having dinner conversation or exchanging casualties, please compliment me on my charming personality and quick wit. When I'm in class, in the lab, giving a presentation or participating in a discussion, please compliment me on my dedication and thorough understanding of my field of work.

When I'm walking around town on a Hades hot day in a shirt with the sleeves ripped off or if I'm in the gym picking up heavy things with the force of Thor's hammer and putting them down with the smoothness of Michael Jackson's last moonwalk... Tell me I look jacked as phuk and fist pound me.

Wouldhusbandorwifewhoeverdoesthis/10

Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Artemis00 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by EvinHoll View Post
    This is true, however...
    When we're having dinner conversation or exchanging casualties, please compliment me on my charming personality and quick wit. When I'm in class, in the lab, giving a presentation or participating in a discussion, please compliment me on my dedication and thorough understanding of my field of work.

When I'm walking around town on a Hades hot day in a shirt with the sleeves ripped off or if I'm in the gym picking up heavy things with the force of Thor's hammer and putting them down with the smoothness of Michael Jackson's last moonwalk... Tell me I look jacked as phuk and fist pound me.

Wouldhusbandorwifewhoeverdoesthis/10
    Well said...very well said.

There is a time and a place regarding complimenting. If a person doesn't know my personality, intelligence or character...I can certainly understand complimenting me on what is immediately apparent which is the physique and I appreciate that since it has taken a lot of hard work. But if that is all the person focuses on, even after getting to know me...can be quite off putting.

As for comments about my physical appearance...it really depends on the intent regarding how I receive them. Being called skinny can be both a compliment or an insult.
    Workout Log / Chat thread...Embrace the Dragon: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169711903

"If you truly seek understanding, then first, empty your cup!" – Unknown

*** Squat Quitter Crew ***
    *** Dragon Flags Crew ***

EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000) EvinHoll is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Artemis00 View Post
    Well said...very well said.

There is a time and a place regarding complimenting. If a person doesn't know my personality, intelligence or character...I can certainly understand complimenting me on what is immediately apparent which is the physique and I appreciate that since it has taken a lot of hard work. But if that is all the person focuses on, even after getting to know me...can be quite off putting.

As for comments about my physical appearance...it really depends on the intent regarding how I receive them. Being called skinny can be both a compliment or an insult.
    So true. When someone calls me skinny I immediately put on more layers of clothes and start eating cheeseburgers. Not even joking, serious muscle dysmorphia aka bigorexia

I like you