Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

How easy is it to maintain 9-10% bodyfat?

I'm 17 years old, just cut down from 25% to 14-15%, and I just started bulking 1-2 months ago however I think i'm heading the wrong direction, towards 16-17% bodyfat now.. after a few more months of bulking I think i'll want to head down to 9-10% bodyfat.

Is it hard to maintain my bodyfat percentage if I get that lean? What diets will allow me to get past 10-12% bodyfat?

JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I find that if you've naturally always had a high BF, it's hard to maintain such a (relatively) low body fat. I've gotten down to 11%, and while yes, you could just maintain by eating maintenance, it's difficult because your body tries to get back to your 'body fat setpoint' due to hormones such as leptin having an effect on hunger, mood, well-being etc.

Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ewys is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JeffyDOS View Post
    I find that if you've naturally always had a high BF, it's hard to maintain such a (relatively) low body fat. I've gotten down to 11%, and while yes, you could just maintain by eating maintenance, it's difficult because your body tries to get back to your 'body fat setpoint' due to hormones such as leptin having an effect on hunger, mood, well-being etc.
    in other words is it impossible for someone that's been naturally skinny fat and wants to lean mass when at that bf % without constantly having to do a mini cut to get back to that condition?
    Last edited by Ewys; 06-21-2013 at 04:17 PM.

mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I find it pretty easy. I stay 8-10% year round. Of course I run 35 mi/week and place running as a priority over my lifting, so that's definitely a factor. I don't really have a strict diet or count calories either.

But honestly I don't think it would be a problem if you got to 9-10%, to stay there. You could even have a bit more "wiggle room" in your diet if you upped the cardio a bit and continued your heavy lifting routine.

People tell me I'm going to burn off all my muscle running that much, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. I thank my genetics I guess..

Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Maybe your calories are too high during your bulk... But it's sure that it will go up and yes you will have to cut later if you want it down.

Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50) Follix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mchalupny View Post

People tell me I'm going to burn off all my muscle running that much, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. I thank my genetics I guess..
    If you eat enough (maintenance) it shouldn't be that much of a factor... In fact it's only that your running times are slower because you are heavier.

Originally Posted by Follix View Post
    Maybe your calories are too high during your bulk... But it's sure that it will go up and yes you will have to cut later if you want it down.
    obviously my calories are too high for my bulk, but your answer is irrelevant to what im asking mate.

JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000) JeffyDOS is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Ewys View Post
    in other words is it impossible for someone that's been naturally skinny fat and wants to lean mass when at that bf % without constantly having to do a mini cut to get back to that condition?
    If you were to eat at maintenance calories, you would never have to cut. If you lean bulk at a small, but still significant surplus, you could add muscle while minimizing fat gains and ultimately still be around the same BF% due to increases in LBM.

If you eat intuitively once you hit 9-10% BF, I can guarantee you won't maintain it.

If you were to eat at maintenance calories, you would never have to cut. If you lean bulk at a small, but still significant surplus, you could add muscle while minimizing fat gains and ultimately still be around the same BF% due to increases in LBM.

If you eat intuitively once you hit 9-10% BF, I can guarantee you won't maintain it.
    okay cheers bro.

do you know of any type of diets that'll help me get past the 12-10% phase? i've heard its quite hard to lower bf % once you hit that point.
    apparently carb cycling/keto works best, but can I have your intake on this?

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Is it hard to maintain my bodyfat percentage if I get that lean? What diets will allow me to get past 10-12% bodyfat?
    Maintaining 9-10% after you've reached a desired level of lean mass is just a matter of tracking effort. Whether you find it easy or difficult, is something we can't answer. If you're trying to maintain that while adding lean mass, it's gonna be near-impossible to do one + the other simultaneously.

okay cheers bro.

do you know of any type of diets that'll help me get past the 12-10% phase? i've heard its quite hard to lower bf % once you hit that point.
    apparently carb cycling/keto works best, but can I have your intake on this?
    If you've truly stalled, the only way to continue losing BF is to be in a calorie deficit. You'll have to drop your cals or increase your cardio. If you do drop your cals, I would incorporate a controlled refeed 1-2x a week, depending on how you feel.

Originally Posted by SkydogGinsberg View Post
    Maintaining 9-10% after you've reached a desired level of lean mass is just a matter of tracking effort. Whether you find it easy or difficult, is something we can't answer. If you're trying to maintain that while adding lean mass, it's gonna be near-impossible to do one + the other simultaneously.
    Couldn't have said it better. Basically, this is what I was trying to say with my first post.

The mental aspect for me personally is quite difficult.

Originally Posted by SkydogGinsberg View Post
    mind is blown with knowledge.. reppd.

Learn from your mistakes lucidz's Avatar
    lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lucidz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mchalupny View Post
    I find it pretty easy. I stay 8-10% year round. Of course I run 35 mi/week and place running as a priority over my lifting, so that's definitely a factor. I don't really have a strict diet or count calories either.

But honestly I don't think it would be a problem if you got to 9-10%, to stay there. You could even have a bit more "wiggle room" in your diet if you upped the cardio a bit and continued your heavy lifting routine.

You weigh 135 lbs. You don't have any muscle to burn off. And running 35 miles a week is shredding calories. Of course you stay 8-10%. lol.

No offence man, that's just funny.

I have no problem maintaining bulkz, wotz wrong wif u skinny peepz?

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm good for about 11-12%. Some guys swear 8-9% is easy. But I notice they have less fun w/ their food than I do. Some can't break 15%, but they seem to lack any desire to do simple, basic math.

So I figure I'm somewhere between "too rigid" and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "too soft".

inB4: TWSS!!

mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10) mchalupny is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by lucidz View Post
    You weigh 135 lbs. You don't have any muscle to burn off. And running 35 miles a week is shredding calories. Of course you stay 8-10%. lol.

No offence man, that's just funny.

I have no problem maintaining bulkz, wotz wrong wif u skinny peepz?

Lol, check my pics then bud. 135 was a old number. Bench 225, squat 275, dead 285 last I maxed. I'm lean, but I'm not weak.

Nothing wrong with being lean. Being huge is awesome, I get that, but some people that post out here think they're big, but in reality they're just fat.

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maintaining 9-10%BF should be doable and you will be able to get there with a consistent calorie deficit. Dont need to play games like with CHO cycling, calorie cycling, etc..unless you plan on going lower in BF. Then it gets harder.

Anything greater than 12%BF is fat anyway.......lol......not srs.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If it's hard for you to stay within your calorie targets I recommend trying different diets. For example: if I eat a high protein, high fat, lower carb diet I feel very full all the time, it makes it very easy to go low in calories. The same happens if I eat a lot of non starchy vegetables.