Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Reading the Guards, ILB

First off all our defense is a 50 defense, like this
    http://football-freak.com/wp-content...e-plan-001.jpg
    except our ends are outside linebackers and are 3 back and out from the last man on the LOS. Also our Strong Safety bumps down and acts as a down lineman (the "hammer") whose job is to jam to the tightend.

Now then.

I play ILB in this defense and I was wondering what is the "proper" way to read the guard. I mean obviously if the guard pulls to the left the ball is going there or if a huge hole opens up with the center and guard blocking out and I see a FB coming at me I know it's an ISO, but I want to be better at reading. Because right now I kind of look at the guards, but mostly look in the backfield which I know can get me on trick plays/fakes.

I want to know the proper way to read the guards. I've heard that if the guard blocks left you're suppose to scrape left because where the guard goes is where the ball is going. However I did this in a drill and the guard down blocked left and my coach said for me to fill the hole, not scrape and follow the guard. I just need some general tips, I think my instinct can only get me so far.

Reddit2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    -Remember to follow the gaurd if they pull left/right.
    -If a gaurd down blocks that is an OPEN WINDOW, in other words, blitz that mother!
    -Your first read is always run, no matter what. If you see the gaurd take a step forward or to either side, its ptobably a run. If the gaurd drops back to pass block, the you work into your drops as if it were a pass.

If you follow these simple guidlines i promise you will be the best LB on your team

ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I played in almost the exact defense in HS, it really depends on how your d coordinator wants you to play it. When I played I was B gap responsible. If that guard down blocked and my whole opened I filled it. If he came out to me or anything else I would scraping over top to beat the opposite guard or centers block. Most important is your first step. Or "read step" in the direction the guard is stepping and from there you can judge if your whole is opened or not. In the latest d i played in we were taught to either fill our immediate gap on a down block or if our gap closed we "fell back" to the next gap. There wasn't much scraping it was either downhill or pass drops. You should talk to your coach and find out exactly what your responsibility is for his scheme.

Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Skarlo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lets say my responsibility in this scenario is to find the ball carrier (which it is pretty much is as the buck backer's responsibilities are free roam)

our nose tackle gets weak side a gap and the miKe covers strong a, so the buck is basically free to roam.

what I really want to know is how to generally read the line to get a good idea of where the ball is going because right now I'm relying on lots of instinct and looking in the backfield which I know is bad

bump

kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kermajuusto94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    soccer ftw

ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThisGame31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Skarlo View Post
    Lets say my responsibility in this scenario is to find the ball carrier (which it is pretty much is as the buck backer's responsibilities are free roam)

our nose tackle gets weak side a gap and the miKe covers strong a, so the buck is basically free to roam.

what I really want to know is how to generally read the line to get a good idea of where the ball is going because right now I'm relying on lots of instinct and looking in the backfield which I know is bad
    Ok so you're free to roam? First read is gonna be the direction your guard steps. Step with him. Read high hat/low hat. Or pass/run. If its pass then take your pass drop. If its run you need to figure what kind of angle he's taking if he steps and moves lateral its zone. So flow over top and look for the gap the RB will be looking for. Don't over pursue because zone is where the cutback will kill you. Stay in the RBs "back hip pocket" one step behind him. Another lateral movement is the pull. If the guard is pulling his shoulders will turn more and that will be a given. If your guard steps and down blocks. And your gap opens. The ball is coming right at you so fill that ****. If the guard steps and comes right at you its probly a stretch play so keep your outside shoulder free. If he is trying to take away your inside shoulder then he's trying to reach you for a stretch play the opposite direction. This could also be the center dong this. So scrape over top And find the RB