Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500) superkhurram is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i believe in the power of the mind. you're right OP...with good planning you can achieve pretty much everything. a lot of people will fail because of the mental factor. they just don't want it. i realized that back when i was struggling. you gta want it Bobby! you have to want to win! back in the days, i used to lift weight like i was Goku, I'd go all out everytime, but now that I look back, I did not. I could've trained smarter; focused on conditioning and endurance, but I was trying to cheat myself by lifting huge weights.

I've hit some pretty big numbers in the gym, but I feel thats on account to the amount of years I've worked out. I'm not gonna call myself an expert by any means, but I'm probably the strongest and smartest I've been....

when it comes to the Bench, I've hit 205*3 on Incline most recently

in the past I used to Bench in the Smith, but don't any more. In the smith, I pushed like 295 flat, and 275 incline...dunno if that'll relate to a 225 bench lol but dont care, I know I'm not a fuking pussy
    Lifting Maxes:

Clean and Jerk: 210*1
    Snatch: 185*1
    Dead Lift: 435 Conventional; 445 Sumo >>> Tested in 2019
    Squat: More than you can afford pal; Ferrari....
    Bench Press: Untested

Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mstatefan91 View Post
    You completely ignored my last statement. I would go so far to say that you could take a population of 100 healthy males. They can be fat (no heart problems), or completely skinny like how I started out. You can get them a great coach like Rippetoe. There will most likely be somebody in that group who does not make it to 225 in a year.

It's ok OP.

Edit: before you rip on me or ask what happened. I wound up injuring myself right when I started out lifting. 2nd degree strain in the right shoulder from benching. Sucked because it held me back at least 3 months.
    My whole reply was addressing your last paragraph was it not?

If the 100 health males you choose stick to the training program, eat exactly as they are told, get adequate rest, then I'd have to disagree and say that all 100 of them should be able to bench 225.

Obviously in the real world, injuries occur, things can happen that stop you from training for periods of time etc but excluding these situations they should all make it.

Would be very interesting for somebody to actually complete this study.

Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000) Addyman is just really nice. (+1000)
    What program did you use? Did you make an effort to learn decent technique? What was your diet? How many workouts did you miss? How much sleep did you get? Did you drink alcohol often?

3 months bro-split, 6 months SS 5x5 (with accessory work), 3 months compound-focused split, 2 months PHAT
    GOMAD bulk 500 calories over maintenance all year round
    Gym 4-5 days/week, 1hr 30 mins
    7-8 hours sleep
    Cut out alcohol completely (see sig) (no FA)

Went from 108 lb to 150 in just over a year.
    tfw called out for doing it wrong
    Starting Weight: 108 lb (21 months)

*Check out every window reflection Crew

anonymous
    Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    As far as I know there are no relevant studies available, but do you think 15lb a month on the bench is unreasonable for an absolute beginner?
    The point of time for which it becomes unreasonable will vary from person to person.

Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Schoonmaker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I didn't once say you are a failure if you can't get 225 within a year, only that you are doing something wrong!

Again, Rob Riches claims a 550lb squat and a 550lb deadlift. He may train in the high rep range but he is still getting stronger. You should be aiming to increase the weight you're lifting regularly! You will find it difficult to find a natural lifter who looks good and is not strong.

I have been training for 2 years now and do not claim to know all the answers, but I do know that to gain muscle you have to get stronger.

The thread is not meaning to offend anybody, but to state that everybody has the potential to bench 225 within their first year, whether they choose to believe that or not.
    Well If you can't do a said thing, you're obviously failing in it.

But fair enough. If both of their claims are true, I guess you are right. However, you never see or hear them speak about how they are doing a strength program which underlines more of what I said initially. They both train for long periods of time. Is it really a weird idea that strength just comes a long with it without having to specially focus for it?

I occasionally lift heavy mstatefan91's Avatar
    mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mstatefan91 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My whole reply was addressing your last paragraph was it not?

If the 100 health males you choose stick to the training program, eat exactly as they are told, get adequate rest, then I'd have to disagree and say that all 100 of them should be able to bench 225.

Obviously in the real world, injuries occur, things can happen that stop you from training for periods of time etc but excluding these situations they should all make it.

Would be very interesting for somebody to actually complete this study.
    I agree that it would be interesting. You would have to immediately "discredit" somebody if they got injured or something else which is what would make it tricky.

Point is, neither one of us knows until somebody takes the time to do the research/experiment.
    S/B/D: 485/305/500 lbs

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173558951

Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As far as I know there are no relevant studies available, but do you think 15lb a month on the bench is unreasonable for an absolute beginner?
    You are making definitive claims based on sketchy information at best? How many months are you talking about? There may be folks out there who can add 15 pounds one month and 5 pounds the next. Folks are different. I don't disagree a 225 pound bench is not a lofty goal, but not everyone will make it. Some will fail due to poor habits, and others may fail due to genetics, and finally some don't care.

You also cannot disregard the learning curve.

peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10) peglegsteve is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't eat enough to grow muscle. Too afraid to eat much and get fatter. 1200-1500 calories a day is my limit. **** being fat.

Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000) Mathematics is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Schoonmaker View Post
    Well If you can't do a said thing, you're obviously failing in it.

But fair enough. If both of their claims are true, I guess you are right. However, you never see or hear them speak about how they are doing a strength program which underlines more of what I said initially. They both train for long periods of time. Is it really a weird idea that strength just comes a long with it without having to specially focus for it?
    They may not be on a strength program but you can be sure they are progressing in some way or another, either getting an extra rep or two each workout or trying to put the weight up by a couple of pounds every couple of weeks or whatever. If they were to stick with the same weight every week for a year and complete the same number of reps, they wouldn't get anywhere. It is all about progression. You don't neccessarily need to focus on strength but you MUST progress in it.

mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Araj View Post
    OP is right.
    Everyone is a total ******* pussy or doesn't know wtf they're doing if they can't bench 2 plates in 1 year.

I was 300lbs fat ******* benching 85lbs MAX when I started. Lost 80lbs in a year & was benching 2 plates by the end of the year.
    And I have shietty dreamer genetics.
    I did starting strength.
    So at 143lbs i should be benching 225lbs? I started from 118lbs bodyweight and barely benched the bar for 8 reps, now i bench like 120 for 6.

I know i am weak as ****, my legs are better tho and my strongest point.
    Trance Crew
    Will own a Porsche before the age of 30 Crew

RIP Zyzz

momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) momo5 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't even do barbell I only do dumbells brah.
    I just want to share the knowledge I have obtained throughout my life and hopefully change someone's life.

Originally Posted by Reef58 View Post
    You are making definitive claims based on sketchy information at best? How many months are you talking about? There may be folks out there who can add 15 pounds one month and 5 pounds the next. Folks are different. I don't disagree a 225 pound bench is not a lofty goal, but not everyone will make it. Some will fail due to poor habits, and others may fail due to genetics, and finally some don't care.

You also cannot disregard the learning curve.
    15lb a month was not a definitive claim, But I think you would struggle to find anybody who could not increase their bench by at least 15lb a month for the first 2 or 3 months as a complete beginner.

Obviously the learning curve has to be accounted for. Many people have been training for 3 years and still do not know much more than when they started. These are the people that are doing it wrong.

Obviously most people will be doing it wrong at the start and that is why they won't get to 225 in their first year. That is what my OP is saying. If you don't get to 225 in your first year you were doing it wrong which is completely understandable. 95% of people will be doing it wrong.

evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) evanray is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    You make a valid point. I think it's just the fact that we get in a rut at staying in the same weight and routine.
    Jeep Crew.
    Zyzz Forever.

Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Comboking is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Or OP benched 315 within a year of training at 165 bodyweight.
    5'8
    ***Misc Lean Bulk Crew***
    ***Misc Cologne Crew***

Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bignate65 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah I don't train to get better at lifting weights, so how bout you take a step back; AND **** YOUR OWN FACE

Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000) Enso is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Deadlift 506lb, atg squat 400lb, parallel squat about 480lb.

Here is 360 x 4 hamstrings to calves.

Hard to see that it is atg from camera angle so: 320 x 3 front squats

I disagree with your OP, but nonetheless that is good lifting there. Only thing to say is that on your front squats (yes, heavy weight so it will happen) is that your adductors seem tight which is making your hips/low back recurve at the bottom since your knees are not able to drive outwards enough to keep your torso more erect. Perhaps squeezing your glutes and then serratus/rib cage/lats/core in sequence then screwing your feet into the ground (externally rotating your femur) can help (will help you be better able to sit 'back' in the bottom position). Kelly Starrett has some great mobility drills on his site mobilitywod than can help.
    Last edited by Enso; 06-19-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    When you get to the top of the mountain, keep climbing

Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Wolvuk is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    At 200 right now, gym anniversary in one month. You've inspired me man, going to get to that 225 if it kills me.

Stay humble, stay hungry. Sullivan0930's Avatar
    Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sullivan0930 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Agreed. Coming up on my first year of actually training and taking it serious, can bench 225x4 and 245x1.

mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mezhei has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    brahs respond, how much should i be benching for my bodyweight? 13/14 percent bf. Lifting srs for 8 months, but did not ate enough or had a bad routine.
    Trance Crew

RIP Zyzz

Originally Posted by mezhei View Post
    brahs respond, how much should i be benching for my bodyweight? 13/14 percent bf. Lifting srs for 8 months, but did not ate enough or had a bad routine.

Impossible to say, but if you had ate enough and had a good routine, you'd probably be benching 180-200lb

DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DirtNastyBaby has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    First day in the gym never lifting before I maxed 180, year later reping 225x10 for 3 sets

now I ****s with 265 for reps. this is 2 1/2 years later
    ** KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE **

Impossible to say, but if you had ate enough and had a good routine, you'd probably be benching 180-200lb
    if you saw me in irl you would certainly not think that, i have big legs in comparison to my pumped 13 inch arms lol. I can't even bench 132lbs (dead srs). Could probably bench it now if i were fresh, but i did not try 1rm for a while. Squat; 145lbs x 8 btw.
    Trance Crew

RIP Zyzz

Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000) Quickstrike is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I stopped benching for a bit then started it back up again. Heavy cable rows helped me tremendously.

In case any of you didn't know. Work yo upper back for bench gains, you sluts!

if you saw me in irl you would certainly not think that, i have big legs in comparison to my pumped 13 inch arms lol. I can't even bench 132lbs (dead srs). Could probably bench it now if i were fresh, but i did not try 1rm for a while. Squat; 145lbs x 8 btw.
    That's why I said if you ate enough!

VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VelvetKush is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Something basic like starting strength, 5/3/1, a 5x5 etc. Pick a routine, stick to it and see results.
    What do you think about PHAT? I'm basically starting all over again. Used to be able to DL 315 5x5....now I can't do 185 5x5. Went from 186 lbs to 160 lbs in a year because of severe depression. Should I do PHAT or 5/3/1? I already did StrongLifts and it was boring so I don't like SS.
    Is it good? Or is it wack?

That's why I said if you ate enough!
    Fuk i feel depressed as **** right now being so weak. Even tho people irl have commented that ive gained some size (from 118lbs to 143lbs, but alot of weight went to my legs)

I try to focus on my form alot.
    Trance Crew

RIP Zyzz

Originally Posted by VelvetKush View Post
    What do you think about PHAT? I'm basically starting all over again. Used to be able to DL 315 5x5....now I can't do 185 5x5. Went from 186 lbs to 160 lbs in a year because of severe depression. Should I do PHAT or 5/3/1? I already did StrongLifts and it was boring so I don't like SS.
    Honestly don't know much about PHAT but if it involves a progressive increase in your lifts then it is good.

5/3/1 is one of my favourite programs, very good results and you set new PRs every week! As long as you do the 4 main lifts as the program tells you can basically choose what else to do yourself too, so you don't have to get bored.

brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) brockybrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Benched 200 within 10 months of working out, wasn't strong at all when i started. Fast forward another year and my bench is actually a little lower, mainly because i barely bench/workout chest. Kind of agree with OP, although there are perfectly healthy males who just don't have a lot of testosterone/good weightlifting genetics whom it would definitely take more than a year

Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000) Quadzillas is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Schoonmaker View Post
    Or OP didn't. Who gives 2 chits about strenght anyway?
    Stats: 6'1", 165 lbs.

Apparently you don't give a chit about eating.

Fuk i feel depressed as **** right now being so weak. Even tho people irl have commented that ive gained some size (from 118lbs to 143lbs, but alot of weight went to my legs)

I try to focus on my form alot.
    At your weight you just have to keep eating more, 143 is not too bad but you will feel a lot healthier once you get past 150!