yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No protein at breakfast?

First of all I am on a cut, and every morning I eat oats with a tbsp of brown sugar and about 100g of strawberries. That fills me up and keeps me full for hours and only comes in at 230 cal. However, I am concerned with having no protein in there. I know what really matters is hitting my protein intake for the day, but my usual lifting time is 1-2 hours after breakfast. Do you guys think I am gimping myself here?

mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjdieth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by yamahammer342 View Post
    First of all I am on a cut, and every morning I eat oats with a tbsp of brown sugar and about 100g of strawberries. That fills me up and keeps me full for hours and only comes in at 230 cal. However, I am concerned with having no protein in there. I know what really matters is hitting my protein intake for the day, but my usual lifting time is 1-2 hours after breakfast. Do you guys think I am gimping myself here?
    Eat your protein when you want, no benefit in the mornings before workouts.

SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000) SelfMotivated is just really nice. (+1000)
    It shouldn't be a problem I don't think (someone can correct me if I'm wrong since I'm not familiar with morning workout requirements). If however you want to add some protein in the morning you can always add the ever delicious bacon for something quick and easy to get some protein and fat.
    "Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.” - Harvey McKay

What is IIFYM? Read post #8 by HunterCML:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152492113

sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100)
    Oats have protein. Not much, but probably about 7 grams protein per 1/2 cup dry oats with 3.5 g fat.

I'm on a cut as well and I find it much easier to fill my macros by eating some protein and fat with each of my three meals per day. I usually get about 20% of each during breakfast. There is a benefit to the steady consumption of macros throughout the day vs. eating 65 g protein all at once, which will not be fully absorbed.

If you workout in the afternoons, eating breakfast is smart because it helps with increased energy levels. 230 calories for breakfast doesn't seem like much for a grown man. I'm rather short and I eat about 400-500 calories every morning. Do you have several snacks or protein shakes throughout the day?
    Last edited by sixxpoint; 06-19-2013 at 07:52 AM.

yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yamahammer342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sixxpoint View Post
    Oats have protein. Not much, but probably about 7 grams protein per 1/2 cup dry oats with 3.5 g fat.

I'm on a cut as well and I find it much easier to fill my macros by eating some protein and fat with each of my three meals per day. I usually get about 20% of each during breakfast. There is a benefit to the steady consumption of macros throughout the day vs. eating 65 g protein all at once, which will not be fully absorbed.

If you workout in the afternoons, eating breakfast is smart because it helps with increased energy levels. 230 calories for breakfast doesn't seem like much for a grown man. I'm rather short and I eat about 400-500 calories every morning. Do you have several snacks or protein shakes throughout the day?
    I eat ~6 meals per day and usually breakfast is the smallest. I am just not hungry at that time. Usually 2-3 of my meals have moderate to high protein levels.

superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100)
    Personally I am on a cut too week 7/12

I havent had any protein with my breakfast for the 1st 6 weeks.

I had protein with every other 6 meals about 30g per meal, now for the last 6 weeks i am having a shake with my morning oats.

You can always dicth the sugar and half the strawberries for simple whey shake..

You will be fine without protein in the morning as long as you are getting a good supply throughout the day 1/1.5g per lb of body weight as a rough guide.

1 meal without protien isnt the end of the world, I'd say getting good complex carbs in the morning is important which you are doing. Simple carbs are also great to wake you up.

Dont over complicate your nutrition on a cut with small details like this, stick to your daily macros and you will be fine.

Whats your weight/height, meals for the rest of the day like purely out of interest and daily caloric intake?

J
    Half ass reps = half ass results

If you started training when you first started complaining you'd be in shape by now

Overtraining does not exist

Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are hitting your macros at the end of the day and the breakfast is satisfying enough for you, then you don't need protein. If it's not enough to provide energy until your next meal, adjust it.
    Best Meet Lifts:
    375/255/430/1060 - 8/9/14
    435/281/501/1217 - 12/6/14

Best Gym Lifts:
    440/280(paused)/495/1215

STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Broscience is strong in this thread.

As for timing, if you are on a bulk, it would be more of a concern (studies show that a constant intake of aminoes is required for general muscular building). However, on a cut, timing is less important (not only do studies show this, but the amount of people who have success training fasted and following an Intermittent Fasting protocol demonstrates this as well). These people often supplement BCAAs when doing fasted training, but that may or may not be necessary (depending on Post Work Out meal). However, many skip breakfast (not even carbs) and are fine cutting.

I would say don't worry about it OP. Meal timing, especially on a cut, is largely irrelevant. And for protein, you need about .82g/lb bodyweight as optimal. Eat more if it helps with satiety, but know that you do not need more.

Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000)
    Consuming BCAAs isn't fasting.
    Best Meet Lifts:
    375/255/430/1060 - 8/9/14
    435/281/501/1217 - 12/6/14

Best Gym Lifts:
    440/280(paused)/495/1215

STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) STC1188 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Brofessor View Post
    Consuming BCAAs isn't fasting.
    According to the amounts prescribed by Martin Berkham (I believe between 1-2.5g), the BCAAs shouldn't break the "fasting" processes in the body. And while the science is debatable, the results are more or less there. Is it solid in stone? No. But the experimental data seems to support his conclusion.

BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100) BStowers023 is not very well liked. (-100)
    You should try to consume the majority of your daily carb intake in the morning if you're trying to cut. Protein can be beneficial before workouts to preserve and protect muscle tissue, but protein intake will benefit you more later in the day/night.

Thanks for all the feedback on this. I had a feeling I was over-complicating it, I just wanted to make sure.

@superhans I am 6'2", 190lbs. I have never had my bodyfat checked, but I would estimate 15-16%, I am overestimating if anything. At the moment I am on a 2500 cal diet. I have a physically demanding job and when I work sometimes I approach 3000cal/day. If not I just don't have any energy. I have been steadily losing and I am satisfied with the progress. I would like to get to around the 10% mark by the end of summer then start on a clean bulk. I have been lifting for years, but never started paying much attention to nutrition until recently. As you can imagine the years I spent lifting and not caring about nutrition didn't get me anywhere.

superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100) superhans is not very well liked. (-100)
    Thanks for all the feedback on this. I had a feeling I was over-complicating it, I just wanted to make sure.

@superhans I am 6'2", 190lbs. I have never had my bodyfat checked, but I would estimate 15-16%, I am overestimating if anything. At the moment I am on a 2500 cal diet. I have a physically demanding job and when I work sometimes I approach 3000cal/day. If not I just don't have any energy. I have been steadily losing and I am satisfied with the progress. I would like to get to around the 10% mark by the end of summer then start on a clean bulk. I have been lifting for years, but never started paying much attention to nutrition until recently. As you can imagine the years I spent lifting and not caring about nutrition didn't get me anywhere.
    I always add 2/3% to an estimation of BF to be accurate.

Sounds good man, you know your own body, if you drop 1/1.5lbs a week then you are on the right tracks calorie wise, just stay 40% carbs 40% protein and 20% fats and you should be good. I have 5 weeks left off mine, soldiering on. My plan is also a nice clean bulk after too, training without nutrition is almost pointless I would say.

Good luck with the cut and remember if it was easy, everyone would do it.

If you started training when you first started complaining you'd be in shape by now

Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mjdieth View Post
    Eat your protein when you want, no benefit in the mornings before workouts.
    Listen to this man.

IGF1-Akt-mTor1/2 Brah braggable's Avatar
    braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Assuming you are not an IFBB pro, it doesn't matter at your stage.
    The above statement/post does not represent the opinions of anyone in real life. This is the internet. Not real life. Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between the two lacks the basic intelligence necessary for survival and should not be allowed to form opinions.

FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000) FattyMcTubbs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sixxpoint View Post
    There is a benefit to the steady consumption of macros throughout the day vs. eating 65 g protein all at once, which will not be fully absorbed.
    lol wut?
    where did you hear that?
    *EDM KREW*
    *Positive Krew*
    *Minotaur kREw*
    *President of Mr.Cooper's Fan Klub krEW*

needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50) needabs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    He would def be losing muscle mass with no protein in breakfast. lf he goes to bed at 11 pm and doesn't have any pro til lunch, that's 13/14 hours with no protein, assuming he has protein before bed. If he doesn't eat protein before bed that's essentially 17 hours with no protein lol that can't be good for his muscles

Originally Posted by needabs View Post
    He would def be losing muscle mass with no protein in breakfast. lf he goes to bed at 11 pm and doesn't have any pro til lunch, that's 13/14 hours with no protein, assuming he has protein before bed. If he doesn't eat protein before bed that's essentially 17 hours with no protein lol that can't be good for his muscles
    Not at all, cottage cheese/casein shake before bed and he will be fine, if he goes to bed at 11pm, breakfast at 7:30/8am, and then a protein source at 11am he will be ok. The likes of cottage cheese have casein protein in it and will fuel his muscles during the night.

I agree that it is better to get a protein source with breakfast but he wont lose muscle mass if he doesnt, as long as he hits his macros/calories for the day.