BicepBren has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Measuring Body Fat %

Looking for some help on using the skinfold callipers, i understand you can use 999 times and still get it wrong the 1000th time

But, I find it extremely difficult in measuring skinfolds on the legs of football players, bodybuilders, powerlifters etc.

I have tried getting them to sit down thinking this may help in relaxing the muscle but i think its giving the false reading as if you think of the classic image of a guy with a 6 pack standing up but when he sits down he looks like buddha

anyone give me some help in this cause i dont want to be giving false readings by grasping too much skin off the leg nor putting the leg reading down as 0mm

any advice is greatly appreciated
    "Change the Game, Don't Let The Game Change You"
    Personals:
    Bench - 100kg
    Deadlift - 161kg
    Squat -125kg

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I recommend this book on body composition : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073...&tag=mscscs-20

JOe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do you need to measure their bodyfat?

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    I know how you feel about body fat assessment, but I will maintain that it is the most accurate measure of what people really want - less subcutaneous fat. Weight just tells us about loss of mass, whether it is muscle, fat, bone, glycogen, or water. Girth measurements (or how your clothes fit) provides some specific data regarding where mass might be decreasing, but again it cannot accurate measure subcutaneous fat, except perhaps in the abdomen. The problem with how the clothes fit is that we lose weight in different areas other than just the abdomen. We can have "stubborn" fat that might make us think that we aren't making progress, when progress could be occurring in other areas.

To the original question, I either suggest you have someone teach you how to use the calipers, purchase a book, or look on Youtube. I've never taken a body fat measurement when someone is sitting, so I'm confused as to what you are talking about. If they are lean, it should still be possible to get the skin. If they are considerably overweight, girth measurements might work best because as you get up around 30-40+mm, it can be tough to actually get the skin fold. Sometimes you really need to dig in, so don't be afraid. Just warn the person that it might be a bit of a pinch.

Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jobins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sitting would cause a inaccurate reading.

The technique described to me was: Have the client stand facing you, take a step forward with their right leg(assuming all measurements are on the right side), and have their weight on their rear(left) leg.

pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10) pcproffy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've never seen a sitting thigh protocol, (not claiming one doesn't exist). The cliche I was taught is it takes 100 practice measurements before you become proficient. Try it on your GF. They love being told how fat they are.

Every caliper should come with protocols that say how to take the measurement, the locations and how to find them. Consistency is the most important thing or else you cannot determine an accurate trend. Yes there is human error. That's why you take multiple readings until you get confirming measurements. Standard acceptable error is 1mm. To get the best skinfold you typically have them flex and then relax.

Should you be giving skinfold measurements if you don't know how to do them?

Sparton45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bodystat 1500

Originally Posted by pcproffy View Post
    I've r seen a sitting thigh protocol, (not claiming one doesn't exist). The cliche I was taught is it takes 100 practice measurements before you become proficient. Try it on your GF. They love being told how fat they are.

Every caliper should come with protocols that say how to take the measurement, the locations and how to find them. Consistency is the most important thing or else you cannot determine an accurate trend. Yes there is human error. That's why you take multiple readings until you get confirming measurements. Standard acceptable error is 1mm. To get the best skinfold you typically have them flex and then relax.

Should you be giving skinfold measurements if you don't know how to do them?
    Get yourself bodystat 1500 machine its very portable machine and is a lot more accurate than callipers. I have made loads of money just from doing the tests alone it tells you lots more stuff like lean muscle, bmr, water weight, and other stuff.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Why would a powerlifter or football player give a crap about their body fat percentage? For about 98% of the population you're either going to be inaccurate or they simply don't care (or shouldn't care). The only people I measure bodyfat % with is fitness competitors/bodybuilders so we get a baseline and can set some targets. If this is part of your regular "assessment" I recommend dropping it because it is a waste of your time.

Remember, the only really accurate test requires large expensive machines (hydrostatic weighing, DEXA, etc.). All you're doing with calipers is getting a baseline - as long as you measure it the same time every time then you will be able to note change and see differences. If you do a 7 site and client was 130mm total and they have dropped to 120mm total then you have seen some progress - again, if you measured all the sites the same way.

cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cptfreddie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    Why would a powerlifter or football player give a crap about their body fat percentage? For about 98% of the population you're either going to be inaccurate or they simply don't care (or shouldn't care). The only people I measure bodyfat % with is fitness competitors/bodybuilders so we get a baseline and can set some targets. If this is part of your regular "assessment" I recommend dropping it because it is a waste of your time.

Remember, the only really accurate test requires large expensive machines (hydrostatic weighing, DEXA, etc.). All you're doing with calipers is getting a baseline - as long as you measure it the same time every time then you will be able to note change and see differences. If you do a 7 site and client was 130mm total and they have dropped to 120mm total then you have seen some progress - again, if you measured all the sites the same way.
    I agree with this guy you should drop it unless you're working with competition athletes. I do this about once or twice a month with my clients because I only work with overweight adults so this helps show progress but its a waste of you're time to do it every session.
    Mind Over Matter

Thats How I Teach Fitness

Thats How I Became A Certified Personal Trainer

http://www.cptstudyguide.com - Certified Personal Trainer Study Guide

ACE - Personal Trainer Certification

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post

Even hydrostatic weighing has flaws. I only skinfold caliper measurements to make relative comparisons, which is all that should really matter. Like you said, going from 130mm to 120mm means that there is less subcutaneous fat covering your muscles. That is exactly what most weight loss clients want. They don't care about intramuscular fat.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Yes they are interested in getting their body fat % lower as for the Power lifter he was a once off he was just interested in seeing where he was at
    Personals:
    Bench - 100kg
    Deadlift - 161kg
    Squat -125kg

The power lifter was a once off he was just interested in where he was at as for the football players they are interested in getting their body fat lower just for aesthetic purposes i was simply using them as an example due to their strong legs.

I offer both the handheld bio electrical impedance and the calipers i let the client decide.
    Personals:
    Bench - 100kg
    Deadlift - 161kg
    Squat -125kg

I am a certified trainer but i wont say I'm perfect i do agree there is human error and always will be, i had heard of it being taught in some sport science courses but i tried it again this morning on myself my thigh reading came up 24mm my standing thigh came up 24mm and i got a fellow instructor to perform it and he got 24mm both times also so
    Personals:
    Bench - 100kg
    Deadlift - 161kg
    Squat -125kg