Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Where has the Time Gone

I sit here this morning reflecting on the past 20 some odd years of my life. Today my wife and I take our first born child off to college to begin her adult life. I remember the day we brought her home. The way she looked at 4 sitting in my field office with my hard hat on. The way she looked the day that she shot her first turkey and then first deer. The first day she walked downstairs in a tank top and I said to myself, Where to f&#$ did those things come from, LOL. Where has my little girl gone?

Well she has has become a beautiful and intelligent young woman, ready for the world. Or almost ready depending on who you ask. It will be strange not to have her around everyday. I will miss that even though we rarely spend a lot of time together anymore. I won't miss as much the mood swings or the sudden emotional outbursts that I don't understand, but I will miss being able to be her dad and helping her through them and telling her that she will be alright.

Luckily for my wife and I she will only be 1/2 hour away so we will probably see her more than we think. She will come home to do laundry and to have one of dad's home cooked meals. Today is a day of sadness and celebration for me. I am sad that she is leaving but I am tremendously proud of how my wife and I raised this child and what a fine young adult she has become.

All of this gets me to my original questions I ask myself. What to heck was I doing not keeping in better shape? Why did I not stick with lifting when I started 10 years ago? All of these questions go through my mind but I need to learn from the answers. I need to keep my focus and make the last 30+ years of my life going forward the fittest ones. Maybe my daughter did not see the fittest dad in the world but I definitely want her children (someday I might add) to be able to say that they have the fittest grandad in their school .

I am now on my way and I need to always keep pushing. There are many things I have left to do in my life and not many of them can be done from a scooter because I cannot walk more then 20 feet withou gasping for air.

Keep on pushing yourself and aim high.
    View my progress at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154724503

Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

Low aim is the biggest crime a man can commit. -- Bruce Lee

"Why do I lift? I have many things left that I want to do in my life and I cannot think of a single one that I can do from a scooter" - me

tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000) tmckeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    For tape measuring, the best investment was the "MyOTape". Take a look, it's about $5 USD and takes the frustration out of the process while you adjust the tape.
    Current Journal All Pro - http://bbcom.me/1gSrSvx

food Journal - http://bit.ly/1b6GVVc

9 out of 10 questions answered here - http://bit.ly/qw0jWT

Good resource for beginners - http://bbcom.me/16QKCtp

All Pro Beginners program; "All Pros" Answers to questions doc: http://bbcom.me/1h0GLMt

How much Protein DO YOU REALLY NEED: http://bbcom.me/1cvgMze

Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tmckeon View Post
    For tape measuring, the best investment was the "MyOTape". Take a look, it's about $5 USD and takes the frustration out of the process while you adjust the tape.
    Thanks. I will take a look at that.

Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

"Why do I lift? I have many things left that I want to do in my life and I cannot think of a single one that I can do from a scooter" - me

robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mainer215 View Post
    I sit here this morning reflecting on the past 20 some odd years of my life. Today my wife and I take our first born child off to college to begin her adult life. I remember the day we brought her home. The way she looked at 4 sitting in my field office with my hard hat on. The way she looked the day that she shot her first turkey and then first deer. The first day she walked downstairs in a tank top and I said to myself, Where to f&#$ did those things come from, LOL. Where has my little girl gone?

Well she has has become a beautiful and intelligent young woman, ready for the world. Or almost ready depending on who you ask. It will be strange not to have her around everyday. I will miss that even though we rarely spend a lot of time together anymore. I won't miss as much the mood swings or the sudden emotional outbursts that I don't understand, but I will miss being able to be her dad and helping her through them and telling her that she will be alright.

Luckily for my wife and I she will only be 1/2 hour away so we will probably see her more than we think. She will come home to do laundry and to have one of dad's home cooked meals. Today is a day of sadness and celebration for me. I am sad that she is leaving but I am tremendously proud of how my wife and I raised this child and what a fine young adult she has become.

All of this gets me to my original questions I ask myself. What to heck was I doing not keeping in better shape? Why did I not stick with lifting when I started 10 years ago? All of these questions go through my mind but I need to learn from the answers. I need to keep my focus and make the last 30+ years of my life going forward the fittest ones. Maybe my daughter did not see the fittest dad in the world but I definitely want her children (someday I might add) to be able to say that they have the fittest grandad in their school .

I am now on my way and I need to always keep pushing. There are many things I have left to do in my life and not many of them can be done from a scooter because I cannot walk more then 20 feet withou gasping for air.

Keep on pushing yourself and aim high.

Very nice! This is the insight that will push you upward and onward. You're a good egg, Mainer.

Also, agree on the Myotape - very easy to use.
    From unappealing to slightly less unappealing - A QUEST!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155671723

Cycle 3, Week 3, light day is in the books. Smoked through the workout in 33 minutes. I always try to take minimal rest on light days as I know I should be able to do the weight.

My lifts were as follows:

Squat 125 lbs 3X10
    Bench Press 130 lbs 3X10
    Bent over Row 90 lbs 3X10
    Seated Barbell Press 70 lbs 2X10
    SLDL 105 lbs 2X10
    Upright Rows 70 lbs 2X10
    Standing Calf Raises 150 lbs 2X14

After my workout I went outside and flipped my tire 10 or 11 times, I am not sure which. I seemed to lose count around 4-5 so I am not sure of the exact count. I did learn that you should not hold your breath during the initial liftoff. I did and I saw stars. Fixed that on the rest of the reps with a nice easy breath out during liftoff and everything was fine. There is a lot to this I am finding. Anyways the first 4 reps were a breeze, it almost felt like I could pick the tire up and throw it. But that soon came to a crashing end as it got progressively more difficult. Will hit it again next medium day and progress towards my 20 flips in a row.

Originally Posted by robosphere View Post
    Very nice! This is the insight that will push you upward and onward. You're a good egg, Mainer.
    As long as I never again look like one I will be happy.

The All-American American Woody-5's Avatar
    Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good work powering through light day.
    I want to get a tire for my back yard. Flips FTW!

Definitely gotta be an adjustment sending the first off to college. My girls are a lot of years away from that but I'm sure it will come quick.
    PRs: Back Squat- 410x1 / Front Squat- 320x1/ Bench- 325x1 / Deadlift- 505x1

Woody's Quest for the Seven (journal):
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177649631

Originally Posted by Woody-5 View Post
    Good work powering through light day.
    I want to get a tire for my back yard. Flips FTW!

Definitely gotta be an adjustment sending the first off to college. My girls are a lot of years away from that but I'm sure it will come quick.
    Do not blink because it will seem to come that fast. My only saving grace at the moment is that I also have a 13 yo son who is presently bigger then I am. His football, wrestling, basketball, and track along with all of his practices keep me very busy.

The tire I got was an old loader tire that I got from a contractor friend of mine. Thing probably weighs around 400-450 lbs. Definitely works up a sweat.

Did I say that football season is here, yeah.

robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000) robosphere is just really nice. (+1000)
    Who's yer team, Mainer? I'm a long suffering Jets fan, myself.

Who's yer team, Mainer? I'm a long suffering Jets fan, myself.
    As a Jets fan you will hate me for this but I am a Pats fan. Have been since I started watching football. Vividly remember the debocle against the Bears, the runback by the Packers and recently the miracle passes from the Giants. At least we have 3 in the last 12 years.

On that note football season for me now is watching my son play. He is only in middle school but I get much more excited watching him play then watching a bunch of overpaid players run up and down the field.

Just to rub it in a little, I see that the butt fumble is on its 39th week as ESPN's crappy play of the week. Did I say that I didlike Sanchez and the Jets.

You are a great guy Robo so I feel for you. It is time for you to come over from the dark side.

I also dislike Sanchez! But I can ( for some reason) never turn my back on the stupid Jets.

I also dislike Sanchez! But I can ( for some reason) never turn my back on the stupid Jets.
    I hear ya on that. Nothing I hate worse then fair weather fans.

Weight today is 185.4 which puts me a month ahead of schedule for my weight gain. Did not want to be 185 until the end of September. It is what it is and it amounts to an 8 lb weight gain in two months. I am pretty happy considering that over two lbs of that gain came in the last week and I am sure that I did not overeat. It is what it is. I am setting a new goal to gain 10 more lbs by the end of Decemeber and this time I really need to track calories better to try to slow the weight gain down.

Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do not blink because it will seem to come that fast. My only saving grace at the moment is that I also have a 13 yo son who is presently bigger then I am. His football, wrestling, basketball, and track along with all of his practices keep me very busy.

The tire I got was an old loader tire that I got from a contractor friend of mine. Thing probably weighs around 400-450 lbs. Definitely works up a sweat.

Did I say that football season is here, yeah.
    Hockey will only be a month behind that

Do you have a set goal for your bulk, either BW or strength levels before cutting or are you just going to bulk to a certain date?

Hockey will only be a month behind that

Do you have a set goal for your bulk, either BW or strength levels before cutting or are you just going to bulk to a certain date?
    My plan is to bulk through February of next year which will be an 8 month bulk. That is my plan, which should put me around 200 lbs which is 10 lbs less then what I started at this year. Now if I get to 200 lbs before that I will have to assess how much fat I have gained and how I look in the mirror. I do not want to look like this at the end of my bulk:

I was thinking about getting into the typical March 1 to June 1 transformation contest after that to really give me the motivation to go through a good cut and lose 12-15 lbs back down to 185lbs. Then repeat the bulk and cut process for another year. That is the plan as of right now but it gets very tempting to start the cut early and lose the extra weight now since I hate seeing any extra fat get put on. I just need to keep my eye on the prize which is a bodyweight of 190 and a bodyfat % of 11 in 2015. Cannot let short term vanity make me continuously spin my wheels and not progress in the LBM department.

Strength wise I want to get to a 300 lb 1RM bench and a 400 1RM squat sometime next year based on a calculator and a bodyweight of 200 lbs.
    Last edited by Mainer215; 08-31-2013 at 01:49 PM.

I was thinking about getting into the typical March 1 to June 1 transformation contest after that to really give me the motivation to go through a good cut and lose 12-15 lbs back down to 185lbs. Then repeat the bulk and cut process for another year. That is the plan as of right now but it gets very tempting to start the cut early and lose the extra weight now since I hate seeing any extra fat get put on. I just need to keep my eye on the prize which is a bodyweight of 190 and a bodyfat % of 11 in 2015. Cannot let short term vanity make me continuously spin my wheels and not progress in the LBM department.

This is where I went wrong last year! Impatience and vanity can be tough to overcome. You're locked in now, you just gotta keep on truckin'.

This is where I went wrong last year! Impatience and vanity can be tough to overcome. You're locked in now, you just gotta keep on truckin'.

I am going to keep on keeping on there buddy. I keep saying it but I need to at least track calories for a few days to see where this weight gain is coming from. I do not believe that I can be that far over 3000 kCals to have gained weight this fast. I am wondering whether I am drinking enough water. Maybe my body is trying to hold onto it for some reason which is why the quick gain.

I am going to keep on keeping on there buddy. I keep saying it but I need to at least track calories for a few days to see where this weight gain is coming from. I do not believe that I can be that far over 3000 kCals to have gained weight this fast. I am wondering whether I am drinking enough water. Maybe my body is trying to hold onto it for some reason which is why the quick gain.
    Oh, I was under the impression you were tracking calories already. I use myfitnesspal on my smartphone. It has (I think), the largest database of foods, and is totally easy to use. I'd suggest weighing and measuring your food too, as I always feel twice as much meat as I'm supposed to eat is one serving. It's a rude awakening to see exactly how small 4oz of chicken really is

Also, since you're on the run a lot, myfitnesspal has all the chain restaurants nutritional info in too, in case you'd have to stop at Subway or something.
    Last edited by robosphere; 09-02-2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: remembered more

Oh, I was under the impression you were tracking calories already. I use myfitnesspal on my smartphone. It has (I think), the largest database of foods, and is totally easy to use. I'd suggest weighing and measuring your food too, as I always feel twice as much meat as I'm supposed to eat is one serving. It's a rude awakening to see exactly how small 4oz of chicken really is

Also, since you're on the run a lot, myfitnesspal has all the chain restaurants nutritional info in too, in case you'd have to stop at Subway or something.
    During my cut I tracked calories religiously. Just have not been doing it on the bulk. I have set up a spreadsheet with the foods I eat, I eat and cook pretty standard fair, and I can track them within 50-100 calories a day if I will just do it. When I am tracking I do weigh everything.

Have just been lazy with the tracking that is all, but if the weight gain does not level out to a slower rate then I will be forced to track again.

It is definitely much easier to track when I am not running all over the place working.

I hear you on the meat servings. I am a carnivore at heart so I always want more. I need to get that in check I think.
    Last edited by Mainer215; 09-02-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Well the weights of Cycle 3, Week 4, heavy day took a toll on me. I fought my way through the workout tonight even after digging footing holes for a deck that I am building. Energy was not on low but my tank was definitely not full. Was able to fight my way through it in 57 minutes. The guys on the AllPro thread that say that they want to do 3 heavy days must be smoking something that I am not. Three of these workouts a week would put me in traction, lol.

Squat 155 lbs 2X11
    Bench Press 160 lbs 2X11
    Bent over Row 110 lbs 2X11
    Seated Barbell Press 86 lbs 2X11
    SLDL 130 lbs 2X11
    Upright Rows 85 lbs 1X11, 1X9 Grip failed before the 10th rep, each set one more rep then last week
    Standing Calf Raises 185 lbs 2X15
    Ab Crunch machine 88 lbs 2X18

Finished my workout with a protein shake, a shower, and then a bowl of oatmeal with strawberries. Hope that helps refill the tank for the rest of the week.

To be honest I am going to have to bust my balls to pass OHP and upright rows next week. I do not want to repeat OHP again so I will just have to bust them.

Forgot to add that if I do not start seeing serious growth in the next few cycles then something is wrong with me. The progression is starting to add up and my body is going to have to do something drastic to keep up or it is going to kill me, one or the other.

My next cycle will push my squats to uncharted territory on this bulk since I had to reset due to lower back stffness. I cannot wait.

Cycle 3, Week 4, Medium day is finished. Ionly got about 4 hours sleep last night as I was working, the joys of working for yourself. Anyways completed it in 43 minutes which was not to bad.

Squat 140 lbs 2X11
    Bench Press 145 lbs 2X11
    Bent over Row 100 lbs 2X11
    Seated Barbell Press 75 lbs 2X11
    SLDL 115 lbs 2X11
    Upright Rows 75 lbs 2X11
    Standing Calf Raises 165 lbs 2X15
    Ab Crunch machine 77 lbs 2X18

I did not flip my tire today as I was not able to lift early enough but I am going to try to get in a run and a little flipping tomorrow night. Should not hurt me to much ahead of light day. I have to go get some foundations ready for the deck I am building so that means a little bit more digging and moving gravel tomorrow afternoon after working a 10 hour day doing inspection on a substation job that I am doing. Oh I am going to sleep well tomorrow night for sure.

Forgot to add that if I do not start seeing serious growth in the next few cycles then something is wrong with me. The progression is starting to add up and my body is going to have to do something drastic to keep up or it is going to kill me, one or the other.

My next cycle will push my squats to uncharted territory on this bulk since I had to reset due to lower back stffness. I cannot wait.

I don't see how you won't see serious growth? Are you taking pics at the end of this cycle?

Well the weights of Cycle 3, Week 4, heavy day took a toll on me. I fought my way through the workout tonight even after digging footing holes for a deck that I am building. Energy was not on low but my tank was definitely not full. Was able to fight my way through it in 57 minutes. The guys on the AllPro thread that say that they want to do 3 heavy days must be smoking something that I am not. Three of these workouts a week would put me in traction, lol.

Squat 155 lbs 2X11
    Bench Press 160 lbs 2X11
    Bent over Row 110 lbs 2X11
    Seated Barbell Press 86 lbs 2X11
    SLDL 130 lbs 2X11
    Upright Rows 85 lbs 1X11, 1X9 Grip failed before the 10th rep, each set one more rep then last week
    Standing Calf Raises 185 lbs 2X15
    Ab Crunch machine 88 lbs 2X18

Finished my workout with a protein shake, a shower, and then a bowl of oatmeal with strawberries. Hope that helps refill the tank for the rest of the week.

To be honest I am going to have to bust my balls to pass OHP and upright rows next week. I do not want to repeat OHP again so I will just have to bust them.

So you got 2x11 on this heavy day for OHP'S? Things are looking good, I think!

Also want to tell you it's good seeing you once in a while on the workout program forums helping out the young guys too.

Good job crushing all those big compounds for 11 rep sets. That's tough work!

Well finally got to do my light day at 10:30 PM tonight. Worked all day and finished digging out the deck footings for the deck I am starting next week with a post hole digger too. Finished Cycle 3, Week 4, Light day in 38 minutes. Finished all of my reps so it is on to test day next week.

Squat 125 lbs 3X11
    Bench Press 130 lbs 3X11
    Bent over Row 90 lbs 3X11
    Seated Barbell Press 70 lbs 2X11
    SLDL 105 lbs 2X11
    Upright Rows 70 lbs 2X11
    Standing Calf Raises 150 lbs 2X15

All in all not one of my best workouts but at least got it in. Tomorrow I am going to get in a run finally and flip my tire, Then it is do nothing strenuous until Monday night.

I don't see how you won't see serious growth? Are you taking pics at the end of this cycle?
    Going to take pictures in mid October. That will be about 2 months since the last ones. Hope these pics have a more noticeable change from the last set.

So you got 2x11 on this heavy day for OHP'S? Things are looking good, I think!

Also want to tell you it's good seeing you once in a while on the workout program forums helping out the young guys too.
    Last time I got my 11's also. I am going to push through this time. I am going to eat like a horse Sunday and Monday with plenty of carbs and see what happens.

I figure that if I can answer a question then it will make it that much easier for someone else. Just wish people would read a little more before posting sometimes. that is a lesson that I have learned.

Good job crushing all those big compounds for 11 rep sets. That's tough work!
    Thanks Woody. The 11's and 12's really kick my butt. Will definitely be ready for 8's again.

Well finally got to do my light day at 10:30 PM tonight. Worked all day and finished digging out the deck footings for the deck I am starting next week with a post hole digger too. Finished Cycle 3, Week 4, Light day in 38 minutes. Finished all of my reps so it is on to test day next week.

Squat 125 lbs 3X11
    Bench Press 130 lbs 3X11
    Bent over Row 90 lbs 3X11
    Seated Barbell Press 70 lbs 2X11
    SLDL 105 lbs 2X11
    Upright Rows 70 lbs 2X11
    Standing Calf Raises 150 lbs 2X15

All in all not one of my best workouts but at least got it in. Tomorrow I am going to get in a run finally and flip my tire, Then it is do nothing strenuous until Monday night.

You got the work in, it doesn't have to be pretty. Flip that tire, get some rest, eat carbs and smash that heavy day!