Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Is OHP necessary?

I know bench works mostly front delt, but if you add additional lateral/rear delt work, do you need ohp or any additional front delt work besides bench press? Just wondering what everyone thinks about this.

mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't feel any/much delt burn with bench press.
    OHP sets them on fire.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Is bench necessary if you do lots of OHPs and some neck weighted dips?

Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000) Balddude is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    ^Answer.

Definitely not necessary, but how important it is depends on your goals. I personally would add some sort of overhead pressing variant, or even some incline bench presses to get some more front delt work in.
    My Lifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154479513

Quest to strength, one training session at a time

Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Balddude View Post
    ^Answer.

Definitely not necessary, but how important it is depends on your goals. I personally would add some sort of overhead pressing variant, or even some incline bench presses to get some more front delt work in.
    I guess what I'm getting at is, lets say someone does flat and incline bench, front delts usually work fairly hard in those two exercises I believe, if a person doesn't do any ohp movements, but does do additional side/rear delt work, will his front delts lag due to lack of any direct front delt/overall delt movements?

ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ktj4l is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Chaosvash View Post
    I guess what I'm getting at is, lets say someone does flat and incline bench, front delts usually work fairly hard in those two exercises I believe, if a person doesn't do any ohp movements, but does do additional side/rear delt work, will his front delts lag due to lack of any direct front delt/overall delt movements?
    No, the front delt is usually overworked in most lifters. From a strength perspective the OHP should be worked, but you don't need it to build a balanced physique (provided you do the right assistance work to replace the things the OHP accomplishes aside from the front delt work). I highly doubt you think standing up and pushing weight above your head only hits your front delts.
    Lifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147159883

BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50) BadNapple will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I ran into shoulder problems when I did nothing but bench. I don't have shoulder problems anymore now that I OHP along with other shoulder strengthening exercises.
    Michael Jordan lifted every day...

Training Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153429181

Stop Hating Start Lifting zakatak333's Avatar
    zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zakatak333 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    good point

i'm sure a beginner in the gym can test his bench max

then do nothing but pec deck, tricep rope pushdowns and barbell front raise for a year and his bench will increase

then after that year is up he can do nothing but bench press for a year and his bench will increase

probably same does not apply to advanced lifters, they could MAYBE maintain bench strength by just doing OHP and dips...idk someone could try this out and report back with results
    The muscles i value most are the ones directly surrounding the spine, the hips, the scapula, the femur and the tibia... in that order.

Basically the whole body minus chest and biceps... pretty much the opposite of what your local gym looks like on a typical Monday.