heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10) heycisco01 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Information overload - what's best for gaining size

Everyone on the site says read the stickies. And there are so many variations of number of reps for size vs strength (hypertrophy), volume, rest/pause, periodization, newbie gain vs seasoned lifter gain. The one thing I do know is in order to gain size you need to EAT.

But what has been the most successful program for size? I have worked out in years past and always did one muscle group a day per week and worked them very hard. I would do upwards of 20 sets for the larger muscle groups in the 12-8 rep range and less sets for the smaller muscles around 9-12. I felt like I had decent gains. I'm older now and not sure where I should begin. I guess having taken off for so long I am a noob again, not sure.

But it's been a while since I lifted and I am not sure where to begin after reading an over abundance of information here. I am looking for more muscle mass than strength. Saying that, I'm sure someone while fire back with "in order to get bigger your muscles have to get stronger and vice versa." Going back to my original statement, with so many variations in number of sets/reps for strength vs size I'm not sure which one seems to give people the most success for size gains.

Can I get some input from some of you guys/gals of all levels of training?

Thanks in advance.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    They all work. There is no 'best' otherwise we'd all be doing the same program. Different programs appear to work for different people. I don't think this is because they are made differently, just because some people prefer working out a certain way - or their habits might lend themselves to certain training styles.

For example, people who can't resist taking every set to failure should train Yates style.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Keep most of your reps in the 6-12 range, is my advice, given your goals.

So look for programs that cater to that. A few things under or over won't matter. And when you get down to it, it's as Suffolk said: they all work.

You can build a lot of muscle with 6-12 rep work, however, that's for sure. And strength, actually. Just my 2c though.

Registered User kennethnapaluch's Avatar
    kennethnapaluch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kennethnapaluch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First try 4-6 for 6-8 weeks. You should see a lot of strength and a little size gain.
    Next try 6-12(6-10 if you are naturally skinny(aka hard gainer)) do that range for 6-8 weeks.
    Finally after those 12-16 weeks you will know the answer for you. If you cannot do this, well to put it simply... Your impatience means bodybuilding is not for you and you will never succeed at it.