anonymous

Competition and age

Ok, so let me throw this out to the fitness universe- how realistic would it be for a 61+ woman to train/conoete in bikini competition. Feel free to critique my pics- I am just thinking out loud, but would like input. Tgank you
    For any info :-)

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You could compete in the masters category in some federations, but by your one pic you have up in a bikini, it looks like you would need to do some building, especially in the legs. I would say it might take you 1 - 2 years until you would be ready (meaning having enough muscle built to get down to the appropriate BF level).

Although if you need inspiration/proof, Ernastine Shepherd is an awesome role model. Pretty sure she was in her 70's or late 60's when she started.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

anonymous
    Rockangel, thank you for your response. I just read your sticky/pictorial on your particular journey into competition - love it!! It seems like a realistic goal for the future - I have never let my age stop me in the past from doing new things, just recently discovered a love of aerial trapeze, and the strength I have now from weight training is a huge benefit in that! Looks like another journey is in the making....:-)

5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with rockangel about building some muscle. But wholly wow you look good!!! keep it up.

anonymous
    Thank you 5more! I am working on the muscle thing, and realize it's going to be a very long haul, but I love the changes I am seeing so far, and the strength gains I have made are wonderful. Who knew it would actually improve my yoga practice so much!?

natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by yogachic52 View Post
    Thank you 5more! I am working on the muscle thing, and realize it's going to be a very long haul, but I love the changes I am seeing so far, and the strength gains I have made are wonderful. Who knew it would actually improve my yoga practice so much!?
    Hi. I've seen your pcs. On my oppinion you really need more muscles and tone. For comparison look at the women of your age competeing in the bikiny section. may use youtube. I'm 59 y/o and i did yoga for about 30 years. When I started doing lifting, I noticed several changes in my yoga performance. I could loose weight easily and stretching ability decreased.
    For yoga improvement after lifting... I'd say questionable. For me yoga become sort of boring shade of the dynamic lifting work outs. Muscle and tendons become shorter and stronger, not plyable that much. From the other hand, if you reinforse your tendons to be as flexible as they were before lifting, you get them torn at your lifts. Just be carefull, don't stretch as much as u did before lifting.

catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50) catskills will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you want to compete, you need to get feedback from a pro who is also a personal trainer, or someone who has trained pros. And even better, someone who has judged a competition and also does personal training on the side. Opinions from the internet are ok for just general dieting/fitness advice, but for competing you have to go somewhere else to get your info. Good luck!

coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolcommenter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you have what it takes, then why not!I mean any competition is not about age unless there are age limit. If you meet the requirements then you should go. if you are already 61, as long as you have the body and guts then go for it. Train! You'll never know, you might won the competition.

flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) flyfreefit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Let me start off by saying I'm so inspired by you. You look amazing.

I do, however, have to agree with rockangel. You'd have to put on a bit more muscle. Doesn't mean you don't look great, but competitions require a bit extra.

I love that you're active in your 60s. Love love.
    Follow my journey! -->
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152755803

Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wildflowerlyn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Another inspired! You look fantastic. Best wishes with your goals.

anonymous
    Thank you, thank you all - very good advice! I realize that all of this takes time, but in the short time I have been involved in weight training, I have seen amazing improvements. I did post a more recent pic on my bodyspace - but it's only been 2 months, miracles really don't happen in that time span, lol!! I like having a goal, so the competition thing is still on the table. I am presently working with a friend/trainer, who competes herself - I think I am her science project right now ;-)