deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Angry Cannot Get Hired

Hey I am a newly certified personal trainer, and I have been seeking employment. Everyone has said that they cannot hire me because of my lack of experience in the industry. How to I get experience if I cannot get hired? I would love some helpful advice, thank you.
    http://www.healthyandawake.com/ - Personal blog

GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    whats your background education?
    I know some fitness clubs will allow you to "shadow" other trainers to gain that experience...it may mean youll have to work without pay, but thats an option to get that "experience"

GL

deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10) deldel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GL89 View Post
    whats your background education?
    I know some fitness clubs will allow you to "shadow" other trainers to gain that experience...it may mean youll have to work without pay, but thats an option to get that "experience"

GL
    ACE PT Certification

And what clubs? :0

JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeyM92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What I did I am doing a Kinesiology degree, I had the option of going and getting my CSEP-CPT so I did that and through my university I helped train varsity athletes a bit. Just got a job at goodlife and they have me started as a level 2 trainer through their system. My advice is go do something fitness related in school and opportunities will come your way.

Originally Posted by JoeyM92 View Post
    What I did I am doing a Kinesiology degree, I had the option of going and getting my CSEP-CPT so I did that and through my university I helped train varsity athletes a bit. Just got a job at goodlife and they have me started as a level 2 trainer through their system. My advice is go do something fitness related in school and opportunities will come your way.
    I cannot go to university though.

E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    try getting to know some of the managers at your gym

GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) GL89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by deldel View Post
    ACE PT Certification

And what clubs? :0
    Not in the commercial gyms, but more so private, smaller clubs...just ask around

Originally Posted by E-Tank View Post
    try getting to know some of the managers at your gym
    My gym doesn't hire pt's

Originally Posted by GL89 View Post
    Not in the commercial gyms, but more so private, smaller clubs...just ask around
    There is no private clubs in my town (except the one i go to, that doesnt hire pts., maybe a studio that's hard to find? Im not sure.

LeahBFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Talk to personal trainers within gyms you want to be hired by. See if they are willing to let you shadow them for a bit.

I have a degree in Exercise Science, but completed a 120 hour internship for personal training before being hired by a big gym.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Experience comes from hands on you doing it yourself then training clients with what you've learned through trial and error.
    Just learning it from a book ,video or a cert doesn't make you an expert.
    Testimonials from clients also help a lot.
    If you can i would say try to go solo for experience.
    As mentioned above knowing someone always helps but keep trying someone may give you a chance.

Originally Posted by LeahBFit View Post
    Talk to personal trainers within gyms you want to be hired by. See if they are willing to let you shadow them for a bit.

I have a degree in Exercise Science, but completed a 120 hour internship for personal training before being hired by a big gym.
    That makes sense, I didnt realize you could shadow just anyone, I thought you had to get the shadow oppertunity through the gym

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Is all the feedback just regarding the lack of experience? Could be something else too.

Most gyms, big mainstream ones especially, employ and pump out trainers like no tomorrow. The co-ordinators don't care most of the time how much experience they're applicants have. It's just more rent payments for the business.

How do you portray your sales skills and professionalism? Most employers look for sales savvyness and social skills and the potential to build relationships and thus turn over a profit for the business, over other aspects we ourselves see as just as important (like exercise knowledge etc.)
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

TokyoPano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by deldel View Post
    Hey I am a newly certified personal trainer, and I have been seeking employment. Everyone has said that they cannot hire me because of my lack of experience in the industry. How to I get experience if I cannot get hired? I would love some helpful advice, thank you.
    There must be a lot of gyms in the Mississauga area, not exactly a small town. Take the advice of others and volunteer if necessary, not many places refuse free help. If your good they will hire, if they do not find you a good fit at least you leave with some experience after a couple of months.

-- TP

mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    24hr hires people without much experience. golds does too. IMO you need to look the part as well. I get offered jobs all the time just walkin around. Apply everywhere you can, even the small gyms man
    The 2 most important things to me when training are 1. The Muscle Mind Connection. and 2. Intensity

NSCA Certified Trainer
    NPC Competitor
    Utah State Firefighter

DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sounds like a good opportunity to work for yourself. Find members at the gyms that don't have any PT's on staff and try to train a couple here or there. Not a bad way to pick up a little money and experience.
    NASM- CPT, CES, PES.

Pursuing degree in Health Care Admin.

Training consultant to Paramount Studios.

Originally Posted by Simmo0508 View Post
    Is all the feedback just regarding the lack of experience? Could be something else too.

Most gyms, big mainstream ones especially, employ and pump out trainers like no tomorrow. The co-ordinators don't care most of the time how much experience they're applicants have. It's just more rent payments for the business.

How do you portray your sales skills and professionalism? Most employers look for sales savvyness and social skills and the potential to build relationships and thus turn over a profit for the business, over other aspects we ourselves see as just as important (like exercise knowledge etc.)
    The place I was interviewed said I got beat out because of people with more experience in the fitness industry. Both places that called Said that they want me to get some experience before coming in for an interview.

Originally Posted by mormonpickett View Post
    24hr hires people without much experience. golds does too. IMO you need to look the part as well. I get offered jobs all the time just walking around. Apply everywhere you can, even the small gyms man
    Yeah I do that man, I applied to literally every gym I could find in my town, and allot in all town's near by.

Originally Posted by TokyoPano View Post
    There must be a lot of gyms in the Mississauga area, not exactly a small town. Take the advice of others and volunteer if necessary, not many places refuse free help. If your good they will hire, if they do not find you a good fit at least you leave with some experience after a couple of months.

-- TP
    What would I be volunteering to do? Cause they wont just let me come in and train people will they?

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why don't you offer a free walking club in your neighborhood. they will get to know you and some will end up being your clients. TV stations will probalby pick up on this - if you tell them - and you can get some free publicity.

How about putting up a craigs list ad. If you do this you should have a website in place first so people can check you out first.

try YMCAs and Jewish community centers also. they pay more and are probably a better bet than big box gyms.

hope that helps!
    Joe
    Joe-Cannon.com
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com