blueskychicago has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Clients with Specific Nutrition Questions

Hi,

As a trainer, I feel comfortable providing general common sense nutrition advice like eat more whole foods and less junk and processed foods.

But clients often ask me specific nutrition questions about cutting foods out of their diet or amounts of food they should be eating. This feels more within the scope of practice of a dietician.

How would you answer these questions?

1. Weight loss client: "How many slices of bread can I eat a day?"

2. Healthy client: "Is bread bad for me? Should I stop eating it?"

3. Weight loss client: "Are baked potatoes and pasta and granola bars bad if I want to lose weight?"

4. Healthy client: "I want to start eating breakfast. What should I eat for breakfast?"

Thank you for your time :-)

Charles

Fitness Anarchist SerpentHearted's Avatar
    SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    explain concept of IIFYM and set them up on myfitnesspal.

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by blueskychicago View Post
    Hi,

As a trainer, I feel comfortable providing general common sense nutrition advice like eat more whole foods and less junk and processed foods.

But clients often ask me specific nutrition questions about cutting foods out of their diet or amounts of food they should be eating. This feels more within the scope of practice of a dietician.

How would you answer these questions?

1. Weight loss client: "How many slices of bread can I eat a day?"

2. Healthy client: "Is bread bad for me? Should I stop eating it?"

3. Weight loss client: "Are baked potatoes and pasta and granola bars bad if I want to lose weight?"

4. Healthy client: "I want to start eating breakfast. What should I eat for breakfast?"

Thank you for your time :-)

Charles
    Like with all things, I think we are overreacting to the whole nutrition thing. Dietitians do not break a sweat when they suggest that one of their healthy clients begins to walk a few times per week. In your examples:

1. Educate on differences in bread sizes and Calories. For example, light breads are often only 40-50 Calories per slice, as opposed to 80-120 for full-size slices. They can eat as many as fits their general macro breakdowns and Caloric needs.

2. You can certainly explain that bread is not bad for the average person with no health conditions. That being said, bread is also a source of Calories that can be cut if you need something out.

3. Again, talk about the Caloric value of these foods. Educate your client about portion control. Not all granola bars are created equal, so provide examples.

4. Have them eat something that they like and is not too high in Calories (if the goal is weight loss).

I'd guess that you are crossing the line when you write up a diet plan, or answer in-depth questions when the person asking has a chronic disease (Diabetes, HTN, etc). You will probably be okay if you are just educating your client about portion control, Caloric needs, healthy food choices, and anything that you could otherwise learn from common nutrition materials (MyPyramid).

Check your local laws if all else fails. In the States I work in, they say that certain professions that include a nutrition component are okay. They go on to list massage therapy, chiropractic, and a few others. Personal training likely falls under the "and other professions" because we have no recognition in State laws in many cases.

RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10) RevolutionFF is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Seems your clients are asking a lot of questions about carbs

Explain to them IIFYM as above, but also talk about nutrition density and calorie density of foods i.e. why a diet made up purely of processed carbs will be worse than eating a mixture of starches, fruits and vegetables.
    Tired of boring cardio? Want to add a challenge to your workouts?
    New book available on the Amazon store
    "Cardio Revolution: 54 Fat Loss Finishers - Pack of Cards Workout"

www.revolutionlifestyles.com

Online fitness, nutrition and lifestyle coaching.

Personal training - Wimbledon, SW19.

Fat Loss | Strength Training

blueskychicago has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you all for your helpful answers. I appreciate it :-)

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why dont you partner with a registered dietitian who you can refer diet questions to. the RD in turn can refer their clients who need to exercise to you. Clients might value you more if they know you work with a team of professionals who can help them more than any single person can. You can find RDs in your area by going to EatRight.org and putting in your zip code.

here is something i recently wrote about personal trainers and nutrition http://helpforpersonaltrainers.com/p...rition-advice/

Joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com