AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000)

Trap bar vrs standard DL

I've been doing standard DL's and never used the trap bar until recently. Is there a advantage to standard DL's over the trap bar? I find its easier on my grip with the trap bar and I don't have to reset the bar as often, letting me do more reps without pause with the trap bar.

BiggREC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's easier on the lower back, but you tend to use a little more quads.

bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigwade800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It really depends on your goal. We use the trap bar extensively to save the low back, work on pulling power as the grip is ergonomically more freindly. This is done for strength and we use the straight bar for form.

I've used the trap with clients who's goal is simply to be more fit.

I'd suggest a combination and/or even alternating with the bars. Use it as a tool to get better.
    Squat: 1,040
    Bench: 700
    Deadlift: 700
    Best raw
    Squat: 720
    Bench: 457
    Deadlift: 672
    Competitive Strongman and Olympic lifter
    "Never tell me what you won't do, show me that you can't"

insta: the_ogre_compound

youtube: youtube.com/channel/UC7gmzBDjWAE7kpUoSPSXXZQ

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by AAOBob View Post
    I've been doing standard DL's and never used the trap bar until recently. Is there a advantage to standard DL's over the trap bar? I find its easier on my grip with the trap bar and I don't have to reset the bar as often, letting me do more reps without pause with the trap bar.
    The two exercises are quite different in their actions. Conventional Deadlift will put the majority of the work on the lower back. TBD will shift the emphasis to the quads.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BiggREC View Post
    It's easier on the lower back, but you tend to use a little more quads.
    Exactly. And in my priorities Quads are above Lower Back. It's all about goals. I've loved trap bar deads and their results since the first time I tried them two years ago.
    David

Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Exactly. And in my priorities Quads are above Lower Back. It's all about goals. I've loved trap bar deads and their results since the first time I tried them two years ago.
    @2nd_chance: I noticed you are 6'2". Would you say DL is harder* for taller people? I find my knees want to bend sooner than my back on the descent. I'm sure that can be a problem for any height, but wondered what you've experienced/observed. Obviously never had that problem with TDL.

Thanks in advance for your answer!

*harder as in harder to get the form right.

Registered User silverlightning's Avatar
    silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i wish our gym had a trap bar, i really prefer to do shrugs with the handles/grip on the side instead of the front.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Covenantcoins View Post
    @2nd_chance: I noticed you are 6'2". Would you say DL is harder* for taller people?
    Well, I'm not 2nd_chance, but I am tall. ABSOLUTELY barbell deadlifts are harder than trap bar deads for tall people, in term of getting form right and amount of weight that can be moved, because there's no bar to get in the way, it makes it easier to use your legs along with your lower back with the trap bar.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50) icedemon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by silverlightning View Post
    i wish our gym had a trap bar, i really prefer to do shrugs with the handles/grip on the side instead of the front.
    Do they have big enough dumbbells for shrugs? I prefer dumbbells over a bar for shrugs.
    Eat like an animal, train like a monster, sleep like a baby

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ox, my son's best friend is a couple inches shorter than you. He has a great deal of difficulty with the "big 3" based on his height. His S&C coach has him pulling deads off a platform, and he's been working with a wider grip on his bench. He says both of those seem to help.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    Ox, my son's best friend is a couple inches shorter than you. He has a great deal of difficulty with the "big 3" based on his height. His S&C coach has him pulling deads off a platform, and he's been working with a wider grip on his bench. He says both of those seem to help.
    Those things will definitely build strength, BUT not in terms of powerlifting. So it depends on goals. For the lift to be good at a power meet, you can't go wider than the rings when benching, AND pulling barbell deads from a platform won't help with technique from the floor. Those things will help build strength but not build the big 3 in terms of powerlifting, but then again that's why there aren't many tall powerlifters, they go in other directions ( or give up with wights all together ).
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50) Covenantcoins will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Well, I'm not 2nd_chance, but I am tall. ABSOLUTELY barbell deadlifts are harder than trap bar deads for tall people...
    Thanks! Yes, I guess I didn't mean to compare DL to TDL for tall guys. I just meant is DL hard to get right at all for tall guys. But you said as much. And yeah, you ARE tall! Great username too! Regards!