Sarevok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

uneven lats or scoliosis?

Dear all,

Today I noticed that my back has a different shape than it used to be. Some of my relatives also noted it.
    They say that I might have mild scoliosis (spine deformation), but it could be that my right lat is stronger than the other, so it looks deformed... I am posting pictures so you can check it.

I'll check with a medic too, but maybe you have some experience regarding this.
    I did do some squats, deadlift, pullup, rows... but only recently (few months). I don't know if it can affect it this quickly (though I have gained strength on my back fairly fast).

Thank you for all your help!
    Attached Images

NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50) NorseBB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My answer will be sorta biased but I think it is scoliosis based on the uneven curves on your hips and your left shoulder being slightly higher than the right. I have scoliosis (moderate) and I'm used to seeing it but usually what I see is a lot worse.

I would see an orthopedic doctor.

Either way, mild scoliosis to moderate scoliosis is nothing to worry about as long as it isn't getting worse.
    1:400,000,000,000,000

NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP the easiest way to tell if you have scoliosis is to take a picture of you bending down, keeping your legs straight.
    hacked brah

MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarquisJ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You took your shirt off in a library?

Is this Twilight?

Thanks for the answers.
    It is worrying me because I saw this change right after starting some serious back workouts... And I feel I might have put to much stress in my back.
    Definitely going to check with somebody, it looks bad to me.
    No, it's not a library... It's my room...

What do you mean by 'a lot worse'? Do you have a bigger difference between the shoulder height or you see stringer curves?
    Just curious, because I didn't use to have this big difference. I don't want to develop it any further...

NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoNeedlesGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
    Thanks for the answers.
    It is worrying me because I saw this change right after starting some serious back workouts... And I feel I might have put to much stress in my back.
    Definitely going to check with somebody, it looks bad to me.
    No, it's not a library... It's my room...

You wouldnt get scoliosis from back workouts. It is however much more visible once your back starts developing, and if you do have it don't worry. I have it as well, and 70% of the population also has some spinal curvature
    hacked brah

Originally Posted by NoNeedlesGuy View Post
    You wouldnt get scoliosis from back workouts. It is however much more visible once your back starts developing, and if you do have it don't worry. I have it as well, and 70% of the population also has some spinal curvature
    I had serious back pumps and DOMS while doing exercises. I might have mistaken it with real pain.
    Plus I sit a lot, but I always used to be kind of sedentary (that's why I work out so much, I have to compensate). Maybe the two factors added together?

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    "70% of the population has some spinal curvature" Actually 100% of the populatoin has some spinal curvature: a cervical lordosis, a thoracic kyphosis and a lumbar lordosis.

What 70% of the population DOES NOT have is a sideways curvarure in the spine +/- a rotation of the vertebral bones.

Looking at your pictures, which aren't the best due to lighting / shadow etc, it would appear that you do have a scoliosis. The only way you would develop muscle asymmetry of that degree would be to do a sport such as baseball (pitcher) or tennis.

Now, if you do have a scoliosis, what caused it and what to do about it?

Sometimes it is postural, i.e. the spine straightnes when you bend forwards and it is related to your habitual posture. This is not too hard to fix.
    More common is that the pelvis is not level and the uneven base is causing the slibe to twist. Depending on what country you live in, this can be assessed and treated by osteopath / chiropractor / physiotherapist.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10) PIGFitness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it maybe your bone structure OR you only have a bad posture.