Thread: Pull-ups

mattyabc1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull-ups

I'm not very good at doing pull-ups due to my weight and weak strength I only started lifting again 3 days ago so I'm out of shape and my strength isn't where I want it to be I can't lift my own weight(14st). Will negative pull-ups give me real benefits and how many should I do when I do a back workout.

Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ubikscubin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mattyabc1988 View Post
    I'm not very good at doing pull-ups due to my weight and weak strength I only started lifting again 3 days ago so I'm out of shape and my strength isn't where I want it to be I can't lift my own weight(14st). Will negative pull-ups give me real benefits and how many should I do when I do a back workout.

Yes. Until you fail.

You'll see progress.

dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dhimaan997 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    as a beginner the last thing on ur mind should be pull ups, first increase muscle which may lead to fat loss or lose fat first or a combination of the two when u get ur endurance at a decent stage then u can start implementing pull ups into ur workout

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dhimaan997 View Post
    as a beginner the last thing on ur mind should be pull ups, first increase muscle which may lead to fat loss or lose fat first or a combination of the two when u get ur endurance at a decent stage then u can start implementing pull ups into ur workout
    Using a muscle-building exercise for the purposes of .... building muscle works pretty well for ... building muscle.

Using a negative-only version for the purposes of building enough strength to do a self-contained pullup builds ... strength.

Were OP to google up "Grease The Groove Pullups", he'd probably be doing sets of pullups in a short time.

cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cha89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Assisted pull ups with a person giving the initial push at the beginning of the rep really helped me. I added pull ups for my routine on the start of February and I could barely do 2 reps at the time. It was frustrating but I got the help from someone and did assisted pullups on my back day.

I was at 195 lbs at the time, but since March I have started losing weight and currently at 177 lbs. Now I can do 2 sets of 9 reps in strict form unassisted and the next 2 sets I need a little help in completing the last few reps.

So from my experience I'd say do assisted pullups and try to loose excess body fat to get better at pull ups. Lat pulldown machine might help on initial stages but never replace it for pull ups.

Hope this helps, first post

Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Assisted pullup machine, basically you put your knees on a pad that pushes you up to reduce your weight, it'd a lot better than pulldowns imo and will help you get stronger until you can to bw pullups. If your gym doesn't have one, try negatives, or someone helping you do pullups, and just strengthen your back however you can at first.

jimmyjames2121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think pull ups are by far the worst work out. But that's just my opinion. Maybe they work for you

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jimmyjames2121 View Post
    I think pull ups are by far the worst work out. But that's just my opinion. Maybe they work for you
    well lets see your awesome back that you attained by skipping pull ups. and even if you do have an awesome back, your input is moot. pull ups are one the absolute greatest back exercises available as well as one of the most versatile.

OP, negatives will work great, do as many as you can handle, but also focus on cutting back calories so that you can get your bodyweight down in the process and eventually you'll be able to slowly do reps, even if only one at a time. supplement with rows, pull downs, and the like. assisted pull up machine is not bad either but it doesn't have a direct carry over to bodyweight pull ups, which is why negatives should be your priority back movement for a good while.
    Powerlifter convert. Follow on instagram Sharpie_bendingbarbells

Most recent comp lifts: 405/305/475

mattyabc1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull-ups

Originally Posted by sharpieblet View Post
    well lets see your awesome back that you attained by skipping pull ups. and even if you do have an awesome back, your input is moot. pull ups are one the absolute greatest back exercises available as well as one of the most versatile.

OP, negatives will work great, do as many as you can handle, but also focus on cutting back calories so that you can get your bodyweight down in the process and eventually you'll be able to slowly do reps, even if only one at a time. supplement with rows, pull downs, and the like. assisted pull up machine is not bad either but it doesn't have a direct carry over to bodyweight pull ups, which is why negatives should be your priority back movement for a good while.
    Pull-ups are definetly one of the best if not the best upper back exercises they also do biceps aswell and forearms my aim is to lose weight and gain strength just so I can do pull-ups and have a v shaped back. I'm sure I will make progress over the next 8 weeks.

jimmyjames2121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah I should shut my mouth. Im new to body building. I shouldint even be posting in here unless im asking for help. Dont want to get off on the bad side off you guys when I know Il be needing help from some of you. Sorry OP. My bad.

JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JohnRainbo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jimmyjames2121 View Post
    Wow... neg worthy advice.

Pullups are one of the best types of exercise you can do.
    "You can always be thinner... look better"
    Patrick Bateman

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    As already mentioned, do negatives. At the end of your back workout, try doing 3 sets of at least 6 reps of negatives. You'll eventually get to a point where you'll be able to do one or two regular reps, and at that point, start doing 3-4 sets of as many regular reps as you can do.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733