Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Knee Injury While Squatting?

Hey brahs, so about 2 months ago, I was attempting to break a plateau on squats and on my last rep I was struggling a ton so my weight shifted onto my toes, my knees caved in a little, and I basically good morning'd the weight up. Now whenever I bend my knees to the full range of motion, like squatting ATG or sitting on my knees, I feel a moderately sharp pain behind the kneecap on the lateral side of my knees. My knees don't hurt under normal conditions (walking, sitting, etc), only when I'm at this maximum range of motion. Because I'm on a cut and don't want to lose leg mass, I haven't stopped squatting, though I changed my stance and only go slightly below parallel now to avoid the pain. Any ideas on what the injury is and some rehab I could do?
    On my journey for strength and mass.

LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ascendancyy View Post
    Hey brahs, so about 2 months ago, I was attempting to break a plateau on squats and on my last rep I was struggling a ton so my weight shifted onto my toes, my knees caved in a little, and I basically good morning'd the weight up. Now whenever I bend my knees to the full range of motion, like squatting ATG or sitting on my knees, I feel a moderately sharp pain behind the kneecap on the lateral side of my knees. My knees don't hurt under normal conditions (walking, sitting, etc), only when I'm at this maximum range of motion. Because I'm on a cut and don't want to lose leg mass, I haven't stopped squatting, though I changed my stance and only go slightly below parallel now to avoid the pain. Any ideas on what the injury is and some rehab I could do?
    That's not good.

Could be ligamentous but you're doing everything you should be doing. Don't completely stop any activity and ice it on workout days. I'd recommend some isolating exercises for the Quadriceps (specifically vastus medialis) - the last 10-15 degrees of the Leg Extension machine would be a great exercise for the time being.
    Weightlifting Coach & Manual Therapist
    http://www.LuStrengthTherapy.com

Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ascendancyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LuWellness View Post
    That's not good.

Could be ligamentous but you're doing everything you should be doing. Don't completely stop any activity and ice it on workout days. I'd recommend some isolating exercises for the Quadriceps (specifically vastus medialis) - the last 10-15 degrees of the Leg Extension machine would be a great exercise for the time being.
    Thanks for the advice, man. Just wondering, why would isolating the inner quads be beneficial (as opposed to the whole quad)?
    On my journey for strength and mass.

LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10) LuWellness is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Ascendancyy View Post
    Thanks for the advice, man. Just wondering, why would isolating the inner quads be beneficial (as opposed to the whole quad)?
    The radio between the outside (vastus lateralis) and inside (vastus medialis) is ridiculous especially in individuals that perform the traditional back squat. Isolating the inside of the Quadricep would build stability around the knee joint. Having an imbalance between the two sides can lead to improper patella tracking and other injuries.
    Weightlifting Coach & Manual Therapist
    http://www.LuStrengthTherapy.com