KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Squat form question, and yes, I read the stickies and used the search!

I'm having trouble doing deep squats, I think it's a flexibility issue.

If I squat with no bar and my arms directly in front of me (parallel to the ground) I can go ass to ground with ease. If I do the same squat but raise my arms over my head (or simulate having a bar on my shoulders) I can barely get to parallel without really leaning forward. I am also making sure that my heels stay planted and I don't lean up on my toes.

Any ideas?

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ATG not necessary as long as you're breaking parallel with hips just below knee level. For improving flexibility, use an empty bar, squat as low as possible w/ form, and hold it for 10 seconds. Increase depth and time duration as you're able to manage.

Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chaosvash has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's completely normal to lean forward in a squat, especially a low bar squat, as long as you're not rounding your back it honestly doesn't matter how far you lean (within reason), it'd help if you made a video showing what you're doing.

KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10) KillianScott is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Chaosvash View Post
    It's completely normal to lean forward in a squat, especially a low bar squat, as long as you're not rounding your back it honestly doesn't matter how far you lean (within reason), it'd help if you made a video showing what you're doing.
    Thanks, I'll get a video on Monday when I squat again

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What you are experiencing is called physics. Having your center of mass beyond your point of contact with the ground creates a moment about that point of contact causing you to fall over. Having your mass centered over your feet in a low bar squat requires a low back angle.

Hope this helps.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733