Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Opinion needed: Which curl bar....

Alright, of course I have db's and a GP curl attachment (close grip) for my rack, but I'm really missing doing sets of 21's with a wider curl bar and the straight bar isnt cutting it anymore for forearm/wrist health. I came up with a few different options, and honestly I'm really torn between these three bars three which are priced at around or under $200. My first inclination is to go with the time tested Ivanko bar (just looks amazing), but after seeing the T-GRIP on clearance and then Supra Bar being so common on my forum searches it got me going back and forth between the three. Any suggestions, or personal experiences that might tip me one way or the other?

#1: Commercial Olympic Black Oxide 5’ E-Z Curl Bar -- Ivanko (B-OBZ-30). Just a fantastic looking bar, I have seen some good reviews here before and almost ended my search immediately, $199 at Ironcompany.

#2: 5’ Single Parallel Handle Olympic Bar on Clearance -- T-Grip Barbell (TG-5S-CLEAR). Interesting bar, I like the idea of being multipurpose, and on sale from $299 to $199 on Ironcompany.

#3: Supra Curl Bar. Seems to be very common, but I havent heard people rave about them, slightly cheaper at $179 (EliteFTS and Amazon). I also got the chance to use a Gaspari bar a while back and wasnt overly impressed. I'm assuming these would feel about the same?

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500) ArmstrongBro is not very helpful. (-500)
    Personally I don't do curls and have never used the 2nd or 3rd bar but I say whatever works best for you. Try them out before you make your purchase so you know your making the right decision.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ArmstrongBro View Post
    Personally I don't do curls and have never used the 2nd or 3rd bar but I say whatever works best for you. Try them out before you make your purchase so you know your making the right decision.
    While I would normally agree, items like these arent likely found at your local Dick's Sporting Goods, PIAS will be hit or miss on used stuff, and other local shops around here tend to focus on machines the 'Average' joe would be interested in instead of a large variety of free weight equipment. I'm just looking for people who have actually used one of these bars that might be able to give insight that would sway me one way or the other.

2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have the same T-Grip bar you have pictured. I have mixed emotions about it. As far as curls go I'm not fond of using it as an ez-curl bar. I really am not sure why other than it just doesn't feel right. To me the angles are too steep. On the other hand I love using it for shoulder presses. I have had both shoulders operated on and the neutral grip is more comfortable for me. I also like using it for skull crushers, feels perfect for that. The only time I really use it for curling is doing hammer's or forearm curls. Not to mention the customer service was piss poor. I ordered a black bar, it took them forever to even process the order. Once I received the bar it was stainless and not black. I called him and told him I didn't want to exchange the bar, but would be interested in him making me a sweet deal on a 7 ft bar. He promised he would e-mail me back with the best price he could do. Still waiting on that e-mail from 8 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...AAqeqf-Y#t=41s

Originally Posted by 2MoreRepz View Post
    I have the same T-Grip bar you have pictured. I have mixed emotions about it. As far as curls go I'm not fond of using it as an ez-curl bar. I really am not sure why other than it just doesn't feel right. To me the angles are too steep. On the other hand I love using it for shoulder presses. I have had both shoulders operated on and the neutral grip is more comfortable for me. I also like using it for skull crushers, feels perfect for that. The only time I really use it for curling is doing hammer's or forearm curls. Not to mention the customer service was piss poor. I ordered a black bar, it took them forever to even process the order. Once I received the bar it was stainless and not black. I called him and told him I didn't want to exchange the bar, but would be interested in him making me a sweet deal on a 7 ft bar. He promised he would e-mail me back with the best price he could do. Still waiting on that e-mail from 8 months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...AAqeqf-Y#t=41s
    Awesome, reps for the insight! Part of the reason why I was worried about the T-Grip was looking at where the angles were positioned and how the balance might feel being off-centered slightly. And after looking at their main web site again, they do look like a marketing crew for 'Made for TV'. This would definitely push me closer to the Ivanko over the Supra bar.

BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BIgOrange865 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you considered a rack able curl bar? I know Ivanko makes one and they're great for heavy skull crushers on the rack.
    [II]---[II] Equipment Crew #49 [II]---[II]

[[[---]]] York Barbell Crew #35 [[[---]]] (DD, RH)

"The iron is with you for a while, and you will use it to get stronger, while preserving it and protecting it for the men and women who will come after you. You aren't a consumer. You're a brother of the iron. It's your duty. It's your calling." -AttyGuy

2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ^^

This is what I regret not opting for. In my opinion go with the rackable bar, there are many situations I find myself wishing mine was longer....I'm sure my wife would agree on that also.

JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^

This is what I regret not opting for. In my opinion go with the rackable bar, there are many situations I find myself wishing mine was longer....I'm sure my wife would agree on that also.
    HaHa

I've also debated rackable or not rackable. For now I have a preacher curl bench and just keep my short bar there, even though I don't use the preacher bench too much. I also think a rackable bar would be a good idea.

Have you considered one of the bars made by black widow? Maybe the football bar or they also have a curl bar.

http://www.blackwidowtg.com/Football...r-football.htm

http://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_...l-rackable.htm

There are probably other places that make bars like these too.

Originally Posted by BIgOrange865 View Post
    Have you considered a rack able curl bar? I know Ivanko makes one and they're great for heavy skull crushers on the rack.
    ^^

Great advice as well, I hadnt really thought about that. I figured the 5ft would rest on the rack possibly, but I guess it may not workout depending on whats on the bar. Would love a rackable Ivanko, but i'm sure those things are close to double the price of the B-OBZ-30. What are your thoughts on the EliteFTS 6ft version?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=114&pid=5387

JB426, I have actually considered the football bar from BWTG. Just not sure if the overall quality of the bar could even compare to the Ivanko steel and knurling. I from looking at the pictures they look like they have good stuff, might have to add that to my list!

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Great advice as well, I hadnt really thought about that. I figured the 5ft would rest on the rack possibly, but I guess it may not workout depending on whats on the bar. Would love a rackable Ivanko, but i'm sure those things are close to double the price of the B-OBZ-30. What are your thoughts on the EliteFTS 6ft version?

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=114&pid=5387
    I'm pretty sure that's the Troy goz-74b. If you search the part number you can do some comparison shopping for prices. I haven't used it but I'm also interested in it... as well as the black widow football and swiss bar.
    http://www.troybarbell.com/items.asp...ber=7&item=194

Edit:
    I think the B-OBZ-30 is a light commercial bar. The 4' 6 1/2" OBZ-55 is $360.00 and the 6' 4" OBZ-40 is $350. They still have a first run of the 6 footer in the clearance section for $300.

I don't think the B-OBZ-30 is made in the USA...
    "Designed with much of the same thought process and engineering know-how of its USA-made Ivanko counterparts, but slightly stripped down to maintain production costs"

I have used the OBZ-55 at the gym and it's an impressive bar. I think the OBZ-40 should be similar... but longer obviously. If money weren't an issue, I'd get the 6 footer... and probably a swiss bar from BW.

The Troy bar looks like it might be a good value also.
    Last edited by morebarbell; 05-31-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    didn't know that ivanko was only $199. wow . it definitely is sexy.
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB426 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    JB426, I have actually considered the football bar from BWTG. Just not sure if the overall quality of the bar could even compare to the Ivanko steel and knurling. I from looking at the pictures they look like they have good stuff, might have to add that to my list!
    Yup that Ivanko bar is nice and $199 seems like a great price. It seems a little odd for it to say commercial Ivanko bar and have a nut on the end like that though. Just have to decide how important being able to rack it is.

I can't find that bar on Ivanko's site. Just these ones.

$670
    http://www.ivankobarbell.com/products/obzs30/

$360
    http://www.ivankobarbell.com/products/obz55/

Edit: Just read their description of that bar for $199 and I guess that's how they have kept the costs down.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You could also try the Monster Curl bar:

http://www.monsterbars.com/monstercurlbars.html

If you don't like it, you can return it within 60 days for a refund (including shipping).

It is certainly a better bicep builder than a regular style curl bar.

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    You could also try the Monster Curl bar:

http://www.monsterbars.com/monstercurlbars.html

If you don't like it, you can return it within 60 days for a refund (including shipping).

It is certainly a better bicep builder than a regular style curl bar.
    And review if you get seriously interested before trying it out
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post950654463

Personally I'd probably just stick with regular style ez curl bar, rackable (the one from Troy posted before looks like a nice, reasonably priced option) or smaller size (easier to balance).

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

And review if you get seriously interested before trying it out
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post950654463
    I disagree with the "cons" provided in that review.

The grip is rubber. It seems to be quite durable.

Picking up the bar in the correct orientation takes seconds to learn. It's not that complicated.

Whilst the bar does try to twist out of your hands, it just means that it also works on your forearms whilst you're working your biceps.

Since I got my Monster Curl Bar, I haven't touched my regular curl bar. There is simply no need.

I disagree with the "cons" provided in that review.

The grip is rubber. It seems to be quite durable.

Picking up the bar in the correct orientation takes seconds to learn. It's not that complicated.

Whilst the bar does try to twist out of your hands, it just means that it also works on your forearms whilst you're working your biceps.

Since I got my Monster Curl Bar, I haven't touched my regular curl bar. There is simply no need.
    Hmmn, at first it looked a little gimmicky, but after finding a video on youtube it does look like it would be comfortable. Thanks for the suggestion, that bar never came up in any of my searches.

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Whilst the bar does try to twist out of your hands...
    This sounds terrible! Use this for an explosive movement and you are just -asking- for a wrist injury! That is why there is so much talk around here about how well various barbells spin and if they have bushings/bearings/etc. Torque on the wrist is what is happening when it wants to "twist out of your hands."

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cmarti063 View Post
    This sounds terrible! Use this for an explosive movement and you are just -asking- for a wrist injury! That is why there is so much talk around here about how well various barbells spin and if they have bushings/bearings/etc. Torque on the wrist is what is happening when it wants to "twist out of your hands."
    Funny, I was thinking this very thing, repped.

Good point as well. I think I'm set on just getting the Ivanko B-OBZ-30 bar to keep the cost lower compared to the rackable Ivanko's. I have a few other things on my list, $200 was my absolute maximum for a curl bar. Will have to get some pictures posted and a review when I finally pull the trigger and its delivered. Thanks to everyone for the advice!!!

matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    definitely interested in your review. if i didn't have the iron grip 5 foot bar i got for $50 i would be thinking about it harder. that bar has the hex bolts on the end like the ivanko though. it also weighs 32 pounds so there probably isn't much difference besides being oxide and what not.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice! I'm also looking forward to the review.

Originally Posted by matrix563 View Post
    ...if i didn't have the iron grip 5 foot bar i got for $50...
    Show off!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post
    Nice! I'm also looking forward to the review.

Show off!
    hahahaha . hey the 7' olympic iron grip was even less.

Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Quigley2013 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have a rackable curl bar from Black Widow on the way. I'll do a review once I've had a chance to use it...

Originally Posted by JB426 View Post
    HaHa

I've also debated rackable or not rackable. For now I have a preacher curl bench and just keep my short bar there, even though I don't use the preacher bench too much. I also think a rackable bar would be a good idea.

Have you considered one of the bars made by black widow? Maybe the football bar or they also have a curl bar.

http://www.blackwidowtg.com/Football...r-football.htm

http://www.blackwidowtg.com/product_...l-rackable.htm

There are probably other places that make bars like these too.
    DVC

Quigley...

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I know this is old, but since it was already bumped - you're not doing explosive movements with a monster curl bar, you're doing curls.
    And the benefit of providing resistance at the very top of the curl outweighs what amounts to a small chance for a wrist injury.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Cleveland33 View Post
    I know this is old, but since it was already bumped - you're not doing explosive movements with a monster curl bar, you're doing curls.
    And the benefit of providing resistance at the very top of the curl outweighs what amounts to a small chance for a wrist injury.
    Curls are not the only use for a bar of this design. I find them excellent for triceps work as well as a close bench variant. Either way, any time the bar rotates it is ideal for the sleeves to spin - the resistance should be against gravity, not the rotational force of the plates.

Curls are not the only use for a bar of this design. I find them excellent for triceps work as well as a close bench variant. Either way, any time the bar rotates it is ideal for the sleeves to spin - the resistance should be against gravity, not the rotational force of the plates.
    I agree... maybe a bit more extreme. I don't really like curl bars for curls. I'm with Rip' regarding their use for biceps. They're good for triceps extensions and upright rows.

I prefer a swiss bar for triceps extensions so now I mainly just use a curl bar for upright rows.

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    sure and it was designed to do so for the explosive movements. But for a curl or a tricep variant - it's not likely to be an injury concern due to the nature of those movements.

I use a football bar with non-rotating sleeves for a lot of the same movements and I have noticed no difference in ability between it and standard Oly bar with rotating sleeves.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by morebarbell View Post

I prefer a swiss bar for triceps extensions so now I mainly just use a curl bar for upright rows.
    It's funny, whenever I mention uprights, with an ez curl bar, I get flamed because they supposedly cause problems with a lot of people. It's a movement that I've never had any problem with and love.

I'm with you though, ez curl bars are good for uprights, tri extensions and maybe reverse curls (if you're looking for some variety)
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

@Cleveland33: Curls go through a 1/2 turn, snatches go through 3/4 turn, bench/press/deadlift go through 0 turn, and any of these movements can be done explosively. I believe you should train both power and strength, so I do speed or power work 1x week.

@twodog & morebarbell: I don't do upright rows anymore, but I agree that the grip angle is irrelevant to the work performed by the shoulders/traps in this movement, so whatever its more comfortable wins.

@morebarbell: If your meet does strict curls as a side event, they use a curl bar, so it would be prudent to practice the movement with the implement even I'd you train with an oly bar.