sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beginner and linear progression isnt working

Dear Internet

I am 23 years old and have been on Jasons 5x5 for 6 months. I started at 110 pounds and I am now 129 pounds. I think its mostly muscle because i havent gotten any fatter. My lifts progression are as follow: (all are for 5 sets of 5, NOT 1 rep maxes)

Squat 125 to 170,
    BP 105 to 130
    BOR 105 to 145
    Overhead press 65 to 85
    DL 135 to 185.

As you can see, progression is no where near 5lb per workout. It basically goes like this, fail, deload try again, fail, deload, try again, win, win, fail ... and so on.
    i follow Jasons nutrition recommendations: 2300 calories, 50g fat, more than 130g of protein, and free style the rest

I was wondering if there is a better program for me, really I never want to be huge, i want to get to 140 pounds, but be super strong, lean and very functional.

Thanks
    Last edited by sirownsalot; 05-31-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: forgot age

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You could try All-Pro since it uses a rep progression.

I personally follow a routine that uses the exercises from Jason's 5x5, but my reps and sets are difference. I do 3 work sets with 6-8 reps on compounds and 2 work sets with 8-12 reps on isolation exercises. The way I progress is I add 1 rep every workout. When I get to either 8 or 12, depending on compound or iso, I add weight and drop back to the bottom of the rep range.

So for example my bench would go like this:

2 warmups + 3x6 @ 180lbs
    2 warmups + 3x7 @ 180lbs
    2 warmups + 3x8 @ 180lbs
    2 warmups + 3x6 @ 185lbs

If I fail to get 3x8 two workouts in a row I drop back to 3x6 for that weight. If I fail to get 3x6 at the new weight (hasn't happened yet) I'll drop back to 3x6 on the previous weight.

smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why would you want to change something that is working? Have you gotten stronger? Yes. Have you gotten bigger? Yes. If anything, since you're a beginner and you don't weigh much as it is, eat even more and you will get bigger faster. Don't change something that's not broken.

Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mdenatale is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by smittygo3 View Post
    Why would you want to change something that is working? Have you gotten stronger? Yes. Have you gotten bigger? Yes. If anything, since you're a beginner and you don't weigh much as it is, eat even more and you will get bigger faster. Don't change something that's not broken.
    ^^^ this is very good advice

sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sirownsalot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by smittygo3 View Post
    It kind of is broken, i am supposed to increase 5lb each workout, i do but i fail. I am just so sick of failing, and the heavier i get, the more often i fail. I just thought there would be something more optimal.

Thanks

smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smittygo3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by sirownsalot View Post
    It kind of is broken, i am supposed to increase 5lb each workout, i do but i fail. I am just so sick of failing, and the heavier i get, the more often i fail. I just thought there would be something more optimal.

Thanks
    If you have only been lifting for 6 months and you're already failing workout after workout, then two things can be wrong. 1. You set your weights too heavy in the beginning. This is a big no no. It's always better to set your percentages too light if anything. So, maybe you need to go back, test your true maxes and start the program with the correct percentages. Or 2. You are not eating enough. There are really no other reasons you should be failing. You are a beginner, so you should be tearing through the weights right now.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You think that failing and deloading means that the program is not working.

Let me tell you about another possibility: Failing and deloading is part of the plan.

Think about it.... everyone hits a plateau sooner or later.

That's just inevitable.

I mean, you can't expect to add weight every workout forever,
    that would be too easy.

And yet it’s common to assume this how things are supposed to be.

Like you might expect to NEVER hit a plateau but add 5lb on the
    bar every single workout – forever.

And guess what? If you assume to increase the weight forever,
    it’s no surprise that the first time you miss reps on the Overhead
    Press or Squat, you'll think something is wrong.

Wrong with you, your genetics, the training program – whatever.

Heck, you might get so frustrated by that plateau that you can
    find yourself losing motivation and feeling like tossing a plate
    of 25lb in the mirror to never step foot into a gym again.

(frankly, I've felt like that a couple of times lol...)

Anyway, here’s the truth - hitting a plateau is NOT bad.

Quite the opposite, it’s actually a GOOD thing.

Why?

It means you've entered "no-more-beginner"-land.

You've gained raw strength and lean muscle.

You're on your way to becoming an intermediate lifter.

And so it's normal that you can't add weight each workout.

You have become too strong and muscular for that at this point.

What should you then?

Well the biggest key to overcoming a plateau is simply to keep
    working THROUGH it.

Here's why: each plateau is always, ALWAYS going to be followed
    by a MAJOR breakthough that gets you to the next level.

You've come a long way. You've made terrific progress.

I mean, who else here can say they gained 19 pounds of muscle
    in 6 months while hardly gaining fat.

All your lifts have been progressing. And compared to your body weight,
    you have become quite strong.

Sure you can switch to another program but ...

why would you change what's working for you?

(credits: Mehdi)

EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000) EmperorRyker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't get it. You've gained strength and muscle with little fat, but you're complaining?
    "In all things there is a poison and there is nothing without a poison. It depends only upon the dose whether a poison is a poison or not." ~ Paracelsus

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    On a more practical level, try micro loading. That's what I do with my bench press and overhead press. I add 2lb every workout. Has allowed me to bust through some plateaus. Now my bench is at 190lb and press at 128lb.

Thanks for the advice guys, i guess i will stick to the program and eat more

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you deloading every time you miss one set one workout or deloading after missing sets for 3 workouts?

Also...whjy are you following 2300 calories...you should be following YOUR calorie requirements. If you want to be 140 lbs then you're probably going to need to eat more than 2300 calories. Hell that's MY calorie requiremets to stay at 180 lbs.
    OG

FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000) FitnessFan76 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dear Internet

I am 23 years old and have been on Jasons 5x5 for 6 months. I started at 110 pounds and I am now 129 pounds. I think its mostly muscle because i havent gotten any fatter. My lifts progression are as follow: (all are for 5 sets of 5, NOT 1 rep maxes)

Squat 125 to 170,
    BP 105 to 130
    BOR 105 to 145
    Overhead press 65 to 85
    DL 135 to 185.

As you can see, progression is no where near 5lb per workout. It basically goes like this, fail, deload try again, fail, deload, try again, win, win, fail ... and so on.
    i follow Jasons nutrition recommendations: 2300 calories, 50g fat, more than 130g of protein, and free style the rest

I was wondering if there is a better program for me, really I never want to be huge, i want to get to 140 pounds, but be super strong, lean and very functional.

Thanks
    Hi there! You've got almost exactly the same stats as me, although you're a lot younger. All Pro's is very good.

Lol at edit.

Also...why are you following 2300 calories...you should be following YOUR calorie requirements. If you want to be 140 lbs then you're probably going to need to eat more than 2300 calories. Hell that's MY calorie requiremets to stay at 180 lbs.
    Yep; I'm eating around 2,800 a day (was at 2,600 but then my weight stopped going up for three weeks, so added a bit more on).
    Cut done with - basically unsuccessful first bulk as I did put on a lot of fat to go with the little muscle I added. I know what I did wrong first time round and won't be repeating it. Looking forwards to being able to eat a few hundred more calories!! At least I know I can cut fat efficiently: went from 143lbs to 120lbs and from 35in to 29in waist.

Thanks for the advice guys, i guess i will stick to the program and eat more
    Well if you are gaining 3 pounds per month without any fat I wouldn't change anything to your diet.

But if you are not gaining 3 pounds per month anymore, then yes increase calories until you do.

ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghepardo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dear Internet

Squat 125 to 170,
    BP 105 to 130
    BOR 105 to 145
    Overhead press 65 to 85
    DL 135 to 185.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    You think that failing and deloading means that the program is not working.

Let me tell you about another possibility: Failing and deloading is part of the plan.

Think about it.... everyone hits a plateau sooner or later.

That's just inevitable.

I mean, you can't expect to add weight every workout forever,
    that would be too easy.

And yet it’s common to assume this how things are supposed to be.

Like you might expect to NEVER hit a plateau but add 5lb on the
    bar every single workout – forever.

And guess what? If you assume to increase the weight forever,
    it’s no surprise that the first time you miss reps on the Overhead
    Press or Squat, you'll think something is wrong.

Wrong with you, your genetics, the training program – whatever.

Heck, you might get so frustrated by that plateau that you can
    find yourself losing motivation and feeling like tossing a plate
    of 25lb in the mirror to never step foot into a gym again.

(frankly, I've felt like that a couple of times lol...)

Anyway, here’s the truth - hitting a plateau is NOT bad.

Quite the opposite, it’s actually a GOOD thing.

Why?

It means you've entered "no-more-beginner"-land.

You've gained raw strength and lean muscle.

You're on your way to becoming an intermediate lifter.

And so it's normal that you can't add weight each workout.

You have become too strong and muscular for that at this point.

What should you then?

Well the biggest key to overcoming a plateau is simply to keep
    working THROUGH it.

Here's why: each plateau is always, ALWAYS going to be followed
    by a MAJOR breakthough that gets you to the next level.

You've come a long way. You've made terrific progress.

I mean, who else here can say they gained 19 pounds of muscle
    in 6 months while hardly gaining fat.

All your lifts have been progressing. And compared to your body weight,
    you have become quite strong.

Sure you can switch to another program but ...

why would you change what's working for you?

(credits: Mehdi)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Well if you are gaining 3 pounds per month without any fat I wouldn't change anything to your diet.

But if you are not gaining 3 pounds per month anymore, then yes increase calories until you do.
    I'm having more and more trust in this program, keep up with the good work and advice guys,
    if there's before and after picture, it'll be nicer, I still need to wait a few months until I get enough mass(and hopefully not enough fat) to post a progress picture on my log
    BULKING - Aug 20-2016 (74kg)-Jan 1, 2017 (85kg)
    (Aug 30, 2016-Jan 1, 2017:)Deadlift: 231-303 Squat: 214-263 Bench: 174-198 lbs OHP: 104.5-134 Pendlay Row: 115-154
    ---------------------------------------
    ☆★ Victory loves Preparation ★☆
    ---------------------------------------