Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Influx of new clients... influx of new drama

I'll try and keep it as cliff note as possible..

Been referred some new clients to train for 1-on-1 PTs and 2-on-1 PT scenarios. People handed over to me over the past week. Finished assessing them (assessments are very brief and they're not really a "workout" at all, you know how it is, a tester).

They're all old. All grumpy. All negative. That's just during the initial consult/chat and the physical. One guy comes in the next session (4 days later) and says he's going to sue me (in a serious tone, but i hardly know the guy granted so it could be his humour... but if i meet a stranger providing a service, you don't joke about that sort of stuff imo) and that he has 000 on speed dial because his legs are sore (obviously needed to discuss severity of DOMS vs. actual injuries in more detail again and again and again). That's after him only doing a schell step test (very slow) and one set of bodyweight squats x10 or so those 4 days prior.

At my stage in my career, almost a decade in the industry now, i don't feel as if i have to prove i'm a trustworthy man in terms of a client handing over their confidence and trust to their trainer. I've built up that reputation within my studio where i'm seen as more competent than the place that i work at and am established (not an ego stroke, but you know when you feel as if you outgrow your studio or your client base and need to seek harder challenges?). Why would they want to train with me if they don't feel i'm competent? I'm always looking for new people to help, but only if they're in a good mindset and are actually good people to be around, not miserable little sods who acuse you of things when all you're doing is sticking to protocol and doing the job. My niche is training young/middle-aged guys and girls for aesthetics and bodybuilding related goals mind you.

How would you handle it? Discontinue working with these people that are going to do your head in and have to walk on egg shells in fear of being sued (when you've done nothing wrong), or see how it goes, develop their characters more, build the relationship more, and just have them buy more and more? The old people that are grumpy, yet really are just there because their doctor told them to go not because they actually want to be there. My personality is the opposite... i don't want to really be around people who aren't enjoying or seeing purpose in the activity.

Under the context that assessments are now done, and programs are being created at this stage... but should i bother?
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That is a tough situation to be thrown in, but honestly, it sounds like it could be a huge opportunity for you. More clients=More money.

As far as their attitude goes, I'll quote Remember the Titans. "Attitude reflects leadership." If you're looking to find negatives about these new clients, you are going to find them. You've been doing this long enough to know that certain people need different motivation techniques. And if you just don't want the clients, tell them that they aren't what you are looking for. Remember, training is an industry you are always going to have to prove yourself. Just comes with the territory.

My best advice to you is just to get them to change their mindsets about the training. Show them how important it is, don't just tell them. The more you get them out of their shell, the more of a personality you're going to be able to relate to.

Best of luck to you!
    NASM- CPT, CES, PES.

Pursuing degree in Health Care Admin.

Training consultant to Paramount Studios.

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Who referred them?

If it was the front desk staff at the gym and you find they aren't a good fit then you have the flexibility to say that and refer them to someone you think might suit their needs better - and that's it.

If it was a current client who referred them I'd be a bit more polite but work with them as much as you can and then cut them loose.

So yes, I would discontinue immediately with the guy who threatened to sue you of course, and probably all the others.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    You already know what to do, you are just asking us to reassure you it's the right thing to do.

I think you just lay it down. "This is what has worked for people in the past, and it will work for you. For example, [insert example of previous client overcoming difficulties]. You can give up, or you can be patient and trust the process. Up to you. You have to be happy to work with me, though."

That's what I do. I lose some clients, but the ones I keep stay longer and get results. Remember when I broke the numbers down? 50% of my clients gave me 90% of my income. And the headache clients? They were in the bottom 10% of giving me income. Lose 10% of income and 100% of your headaches, I consider this a good tradeoff.

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    Who referred them?

If it was the front desk staff at the gym and you find they aren't a good fit then you have the flexibility to say that and refer them to someone you think might suit their needs better - and that's it.

If it was a current client who referred them I'd be a bit more polite but work with them as much as you can and then cut them loose.

So yes, I would discontinue immediately with the guy who threatened to sue you of course, and probably all the others.
    Yeah a co-manager that has recently palmed off a lot of prospects towards my direction (that turn out to be grumpy sods or people with a list of injuries or contraindications, whilst he himself just trains people who are complication-free i've noticed).

I mean that "i'm gonna sue ya! i've got my guy's number... i could hardly walk after the other day!!" could've been a rib job and a joke, but again, when he's just met someone and he's in a professional environment with someone (me) who's acting mature/professional and not joking around yet (like we do with our established clients and people we've built our relationships with), i just find it a bit odd. The moment he experiences the briefest of discomfort, he thinks suing? Imagine what it'd be like when he actually does get stuck into a program and works out properly. He interpreted me assessing him as me torturing him Also how can one expect to get results or get stronger etc. etc. if he's not willing to work for it or experience certain things a long the way? Like we always say, the people that wish and dream of something but don't actually want to or understand the work that goes into it to achieve it and perform it. I'd be on the Olympia stage next to Jay & Phil by now if that mentality solved everything.

Originally Posted by DefyIsHuge View Post
    That is a tough situation to be thrown in, but honestly, it sounds like it could be a huge opportunity for you. More clients=More money.

As far as their attitude goes, I'll quote Remember the Titans. "Attitude reflects leadership." If you're looking to find negatives about these new clients, you are going to find them. You've been doing this long enough to know that certain people need different motivation techniques. And if you just don't want the clients, tell them that they aren't what you are looking for. Remember, training is an industry you are always going to have to prove yourself. Just comes with the territory.

My best advice to you is just to get them to change their mindsets about the training. Show them how important it is, don't just tell them. The more you get them out of their shell, the more of a personality you're going to be able to relate to.

Best of luck to you!
    More clients = more money, doesn't really affect me though. I live comfortably as it is and my goal income has been achieved. I'm established and don't need to advertise etc. that much anymore since i'm booked out most weeks. I have a family and 4 kids and coach their footy team on weekends sometimes so have a lot of other responsibilities so sanity is my main concern in life. But for example, you never know when established clients need to take a break so these influxes here still need to happen. It's a tough one.

Maybe i need a career change or a new studio lol

Fitness Anarchist SerpentHearted's Avatar
    SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sounds like he's palming all the pains in the arse off to you.

the dude WAS probably joking about the sueing thing but regardless... if they're miserable complainers who are going to do your head in, you don't need the extra $$ from training them... give 'em the lecture along the lines of "if you're prepared to put in the effort we will get results. If you're not, or you'd rather do something else instead maybe you should talk to one of the other trainers instead".

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    My clients range from 40-80 years old, so I work with the opposite demographic as you do. I find that often times they have a different sense of humor than I am used to. This can be expected since in some cases they are nearly half a century older than I am. Some of them are just starting to go off the deep end as well.

In any case, some clients are truly pains in the ass, but others just appear that way initially. I wouldn't get too hung up on it initially, but sometimes your gut feeling is correct. I had a woman with a spinal fusion who was giving me attitude during the first session (body composition only). She let me know about her health history and I asked her to get a medical clearance given that she had a pretty substantial surgery performed (~3-4 vertebrae fused). Long story short, she blew up and sent me some pretty nasty emails. She said that trainers she had worked with before never requested a medical clearance (stupid trainers in the States). I just stuck to my guns and told her that she was welcome to seek another trainer.

From that point on, I never work with a client until I meet with them for a 30 minute consult first. Before, I would meet them during the assessment and it felt like a blind date. You speak with them for a few minutes and then you're asking them to lift up or take off their clothes. In that 30 minute consult, I can generally figure out if they want to work with me, and if I want to work with them. If you don't, find a nice way of saying that another trainer might be a better fit for them. This meeting also helps to build some rapport before the assessment on the second meeting. I'm sure many trainers do this anyways, but when the gym shovels clients my way, they fill out paperwork with another employee, so I don't meet them.

If you aren't comfortable or you don't enjoy training older clients, then don't. There are plenty of people, like myself, who would be happy to work with them. If you do decide to work with them, always let older people know that they might be sore the following day. While it might be common sense to some, a lot of times they just don't have as much experience in a fitness setting.

EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EdgarAllanPoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't sound like long term clients. Just stick it out for a month or so.

I thought they were client referrals. I'd treat them as any other client but based on their character I don't think they'll last.

I always worry someone like that would go write negative reviews somewhere and I've worked so hard to keep 100 percent psotice reviews everywhere.

If u just drop them then that's a risk.

I haven't had to deal with anyone quite like that though. Had a know it all before and occasional people who don't want to do any physical activity lol

Jeff4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    just my little humble opinion...

i can imagine if it was a joke, he probably doesn't realize how serious one as a PT take remarks like that, for he does not understand the impact it could have on you as a PT.

On the other hand if he was serious, then maybe one could try and find out if he REALLY was serious by perhaps trying to figure out his intentions in a non offensive way. ie immediately after he makes that statement first try to get him to relax/calm down, then right after that, just tell him that unfortunately it's normal to experience Doms and try and relate, saying something like "o yes i can just imagine how you feel" and that you understand what it must be like, and then 2 options:

Because of what he said, you now have a firm basis
    upon which you can limit his activity... ie don't do the fitness/strength tests at all with him. All you do is let him walk slowly on the treadmill for say 5 minutes, or do some stretching excersises. That's it
    Nothing more, he'll go home (i would hope) without pain. and he can say to himself, heck at least i did some activity for the day and the PT was happy with it.

THEN perhaps progress from there slowly or see how it goes.

Or let him sign off a waiver where you mention what is going to occur when training with you,
    however the first option might be an idea first.