Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Bulk, cut, or recomp for maximum strength, agility, speed, jump heigh etc gains?

Many times I've heard that you can not gain strength or muscle without being on a caloric surplus. I could see how you couldn't gain muscle, but can you still gain strength, explosiveness, and gain overall athleticism without bulking? And if so, which is the best for gaining all of these things bulking, cutting, or recomping?

fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fballer12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Of course you can gain athleticism by cutting weight. IMO that's the only way to gain athleticism. Bulking can makes you stronger, but it weighs you down

Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Stinkertonn has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by fballer12 View Post
    Of course you can gain athleticism by cutting weight. IMO that's the only way to gain athleticism. Bulking can makes you stronger, but it weighs you down
    This was my thinking. But would I be able to gain strength as well even if I'm cutting?

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes, you can gain strength while dropping weight. And weight has less to do with athleticism than that. Although, carrying extra fat certainly doesn't help it.

Originally Posted by krakkerz View Post
    Yes, you can gain strength while dropping weight. And weight has less to do with athleticism than that. Although, carrying extra fat certainly doesn't help it.
    If you were me, what would you do? I think I might bulk for just ~1 month until I can get my lifts up a little then start a very slow cut, losing around .5 lbs a week.

thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fballer12 View Post
    It is definitely not the only way to gain athleticism. One example is that I went from 140lbs to 165lbs and went from not touching a basketball rim to grabbing on it with two hands and being close to dunking. It's about increasing your rate of force development. How much force you can apply in the shortest amount of time, this is increased by increasing your strength and then your power output through speed training and plyometrics. This is why jump and sprint program's often encourage you have a good level of strength before doing intense plyos since they are less effective on weaker people.

Another example is this guy:

He is at ~210lbs at 16 and his 40 time is 4.4 laser, he started with his trainer at 170lbs and got faster due to an increase in ROFD and strength.
    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1144262/athletics he wouldn't have those stats at 170lbs. As long as you don't have too much excess BF then I say gain weight then again I don't know your stats so I can't be sure
    Bench: 255lbs (115kg)
    Squat: 320lbs (145kg)
    Deadlift: 430lbs (195kg)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." Vince Lombardi.

Originally Posted by thenewguy23 View Post
    It is definitely not the only way to gain athleticism. One example is that I went from 140lbs to 165lbs and went from not touching a basketball rim to grabbing on it with two hands and being close to dunking. It's about increasing your rate of force development. How much force you can apply in the shortest amount of time, this is increased by increasing your strength and then your power output through speed training and plyometrics. This is why jump and sprint program's often encourage you have a good level of strength before doing intense plyos since they are less effective on weaker people.

Another example is this guy:

He is at ~210lbs at 16 and his 40 time is 4.4 laser, he started with his trainer at 170lbs and got faster due to an increase in ROFD and strength.
    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1144262/athletics he wouldn't have those stats at 170lbs. As long as you don't have too much excess BF then I say gain weight then again I don't know your stats so I can't be sure
    Thank you for the explanation. You seem to know much more about this topic than me, so could you critique what I have decided to plan on doing?
    Here it is:

Lift 3 days a week on a strength program, Mon. Wed. Fri. On Tuesday, I'll do exercises that will improve my RFD and work on agility with ladders and dot drill, Thursday I'll try to improve speed, acceleration, and quickness with 20 yard hill sprints, then 40 and 80 yard sprints.

As far as diet I think I'll go on a clean bulk for the first 1-2 months (depending on how long it takes me to get back some strength I lost) Then go on a very slow cut.

thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very good program, I would slip in a few plyometrics in Tuesday or Thursday.

And for your strength program I suggest a 3day full body program
    Bench: 255lbs (115kg)
    Squat: 320lbs (145kg)
    Deadlift: 430lbs (195kg)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." Vince Lombardi.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    5'9 and only 159 pounds you dont need to be cutting.

You also dont need to be trying to eat 9000 calories a day.