90sRome has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Benefits of Exercise Science Major with Media Minor?

Hi all,

I'm just looking for some guidance for what my options are when I get out into the workforce. I was previously a Journalism major at Rutgers University, but I switched to Exercise Science because I wish to ultimately become a Physical Therapist. I still have a love for media and writing, however, and I was considering taking up Rutgers' Digital Communication and Media Minor (DCIM) so that I can still have the Journalism aspect within my education. What I want to ask you guys is if this is beneficial at all? Will this give me any edge when I graduate with my Bachelor's in Exercise Science? I don't want to clutter up my schedule with these DCIM classes when I already have hard science classes if they won't help me in my career in the long run.

I am currently preparing to take the NSCA-CPT exam so if I get certified I would want to supplement my job as a Personal Trainer with DCIM, but I can't think of any solid examples of how this can help me. Any suggestions, opinions or experiences would be very much appreciated.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 90sRome View Post
    Hi all,

I'm just looking for some guidance for what my options are when I get out into the workforce. I was previously a Journalism major at Rutgers University, but I switched to Exercise Science because I wish to ultimately become a Physical Therapist. I still have a love for media and writing, however, and I was considering taking up Rutgers' Digital Communication and Media Minor (DCIM) so that I can still have the Journalism aspect within my education. What I want to ask you guys is if this is beneficial at all? Will this give me any edge when I graduate with my Bachelor's in Exercise Science? I don't want to clutter up my schedule with these DCIM classes when I already have hard science classes if they won't help me in my career in the long run.

I am currently preparing to take the NSCA-CPT exam so if I get certified I would want to supplement my job as a Personal Trainer with DCIM, but I can't think of any solid examples of how this can help me. Any suggestions, opinions or experiences would be very much appreciated.
    Writing for an online fitness magazine should be right up your alley.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    Writing for an online fitness magazine should be right up your alley.
    I feel that those positions go to experienced fitness professionals though. Are there any opportunities like that available on education alone, for when I am fresh out of college? Experience gained during an internship may help me, but I don't think it could compare to years of fitness experience that many writers have.

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    I feel that those positions go to experienced fitness professionals though. Are there any opportunities like that available on education alone, for when I am fresh out of college? Experience gained during an internship may help me, but I don't think it could compare to years of fitness experience that many writers have.
    When you're in college, you think minoring in this, or that is going to help you. Truthfully, minors don't really mean ****. If someone came to me with a BS in Exercise Science with experience managing a gym, and another guy has a BS in Exercise Science and a minor in Business Management, who do you think I'm going to hire - the guy who read a book about doing it, or the guy who did it?

What you learn in college is just the start. In your case, if you are interested in DCIM, then take the classes. They should help you develop some skills, but don't be expected to be hired for a specific position just because you have that minor.

Originally Posted by SFT View Post
    When you're in college, you think minoring in this, or that is going to help you. Truthfully, minors don't really mean ****. If someone came to me with a BS in Exercise Science with experience managing a gym, and another guy has a BS in Exercise Science and a minor in Business Management, who do you think I'm going to hire - the guy who read a book about doing it, or the guy who did it?

What you learn in college is just the start. In your case, if you are interested in DCIM, then take the classes. They should help you develop some skills, but don't be expected to be hired for a specific position just because you have that minor.
    Valid points. So say I want to write for an online fitness magazine or journal, would my BS in Exercise Science, along with internship/volunteer experience, get me the job alone? I'm not sure how I can get my foot-in-the-door of fitness journalism, if there is no concrete credential saying I can write? Do I just blog until somebody takes notice? Or is there a more direct way of going about it?

To be clear, I would only write as a side-job to my work as a Personal Trainer as I continue my studies to becoming a Physical Therapist.

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think your media background will help because you have likely already learned how to interact with people. this is a skill a lot of other trainers dont have.

Have you considered Youtube? With your media background you may be able to leverage youtube to market yourself, your business and your website.

Since you said you like to write, I hope you will get a blog and start helping others. I think youtube and blogging will be one of the best things you can do.

Since you said you were studying for the NSCA-CPT, I recommend you get the book and the pack of practice tests to help you prep. I dont feel with your background that you need all the other NSCA materials (CDs etc) that you may have heard about.

I hope some of this helps
    Joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

Originally Posted by JoeCannonMSCSCS View Post
    I think your media background will help because you have likely already learned how to interact with people. this is a skill a lot of other trainers dont have.

Have you considered Youtube? With your media background you may be able to leverage youtube to market yourself, your business and your website.

Since you said you like to write, I hope you will get a blog and start helping others. I think youtube and blogging will be one of the best things you can do.

Since you said you were studying for the NSCA-CPT, I recommend you get the book and the pack of practice tests to help you prep. I dont feel with your background that you need all the other NSCA materials (CDs etc) that you may have heard about.

I hope some of this helps
    Joe
    Yea it seems that blogging is the most immediate thing I can get started on. Thank you everyone for your responses

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)

Don't buy into anybody's 'set of rules'. Make your own rules. You can do anything you want as long as you have the confidence, belief and the education.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.