Thread: High cal foods

kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

High cal foods

Guys,

I maintain a low carb/paleo/primal blah blah lifestyle. I finally decided to calculate my maintain cals and its 3000. I am having a very hard time reaching these macros while still eating low carb. It seems in most cases, low carb=low cal. Its even worse because I hate eating breakfast, so I am trying to shove 3000 into two meals.

Any ideas on good low carb high cal foods and snacks?

nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50) nhvider will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Peanut butter.

I tend to stay "lower" carb and I like to get 0% Greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, peanut butter, and stevia. It comes out at about 1000 calories sometimes, but it's usually about 750 for me.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you must have a small appetite
    any reason why low carb?
    eggs
    PB
    avocado
    sour cream
    dips
    dressing
    fatty meats
    protein powder
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE0809 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kingofturtles View Post
    Guys,

I maintain a low carb/paleo/primal blah blah lifestyle. I finally decided to calculate my maintain cals and its 3000. I am having a very hard time reaching these macros while still eating low carb. It seems in most cases, low carb=low cal. Its even worse because I hate eating breakfast, so I am trying to shove 3000 into two meals.

How low is low for CHO? Nuts and nut butters are always a good choice. Fatty cuts of meat and fish.

sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100)
    Its even worse because I hate eating breakfast, so I am trying to shove 3000 into two meals?
    Start becoming accustomed to eating breakfast. If you prepare enough food for 3-5 days, this is easy. One idea is egg frittatas with cheese, meat, and veggies.

Nuts/seeds, nut butters, dairy, bacon, coconut, eggs, full fat cottage cheese, other cheeses, avocado, oils, beef, pork, chicken wings.

kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thx guys.

Ya, I do have a small appetite.

I am low carb because I just like the way it makes my body look and I like using my fat for fuel instead of carbs. Its keep me full longer. Also, I read the Primal Blue Print and it makes sense to me why grains should not be eaten.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thx guys.

I am low carb because I just like the way it makes my body look and I like using my fat for fuel instead of carbs. Its keep me full longer. Also, I read the Primal Blue Print and it makes sense to me why grains should not be eaten.
    can you explain? not arguing just wondering
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thx guys.

Sounds absolutely idiotic, but dude... cook your food in oils, eat peanut butter/almonds, etc if you've been doing this awhile (lol) how don't you already know this? Sounds like you're just jumping on the paleo bandwagon recently and you don't have the slightest!
    x

Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    can you explain? not arguing just wondering
    This could take all day but, I'll try to give some cliffs.

-Gluten. I am sure most people are already aware on how bad gluten is for you, irritable bowel syndrome ect..

-Grains arent what they used to be back when it was a main food source, in fact, in the 20th century they have been modified the most. Our bodies have not adapted to consume the new grains.

-Grinas contain carbs. Carbs= high insulin producing= insuline reisstance= diabetes.

-How bad is sugar? Everyone knows how bad sugar is for you, however; no one realizes that carbs are converted into sugar. No one realizes how much "sugar" is in a piece of bread.

-They are discovering that inflammation is the cause of most of the major sicknesses in the world. Heart attacks ect.. For example. cholesterol is not bad for you, in fact, it keep your body healthy. Cholesteorl becomes bad for you when the LDL B particles get lodged in your arteries. Why does this happen? Because of inflammation. WHat causes inflammation? Sugar. Remember, carbs=sugar. It doesnt matter your total cholesterol is 1 million or 100. Sugar will will kill you.

As far as what I personally know, I have more energy (dont even drink coffee, even on night shifts). My "bulks" still keep me looking pretty cut. I havent been sick in a year, if someone happens and I cant eat for a whole day (happens a lot at work) I dont even get hungry. I get to eat bacon and eggs every day while ppl sitthere with their all bran cereal and stare at me. then they eat snacks all day because they are hungry.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you want to low carb you'd have to go high fat to reach calories. Nuts, oils, meat, fatty fish etc.

By the way Mark Sisson approves of potatoes and rice as carb sources.

Have you seen the presentation by Alan Aragon about Paleo? I found it very interesting. It's what happens when someone looks at Paleo from a rational scientific point of view. See here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...4123511&page=1

Originally Posted by blindspot13 View Post
    Sounds absolutely idiotic, but dude... cook your food in oils, eat peanut butter/almonds, etc if you've been doing this awhile (lol) how don't you already know this? Sounds like you're just jumping on the paleo bandwagon recently and you don't have the slightest!
    I do do this. I just dont eat very much, thats the problem. Plus, my GF usualy cooks everything .I was more or less looking for some good snacks.

Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

-Gluten. I am sure most people are already aware on how bad gluten is for you, irritable bowel syndrome ect..

-Grains arent what they used to be back when it was a main food source, in fact, in the 20th century they have been modified the most. Our bodies have not adapted to consume the new grains.

-Grinas contain carbs. Carbs= high insulin producing= insuline reisstance= diabetes.

-How bad is sugar? Everyone knows how bad sugar is for you, however; no one realizes that carbs are converted into sugar. No one realizes how much "sugar" is in a piece of bread.

-They are discovering that inflammation is the cause of most of the major sicknesses in the world. Heart attacks ect.. For example. cholesterol is not bad for you, in fact, it keep your body healthy. Cholesteorl becomes bad for you when the LDL B particles get lodged in your arteries. Why does this happen? Because of inflammation. WHat causes inflammation? Sugar. Remember, carbs=sugar. It doesnt matter your total cholesterol is 1 million or 100. Sugar will will kill you.

As far as what I personally know, I have more energy (dont even drink coffee, even on night shifts). My "bulks" still keep me looking pretty cut. I havent been sick in a year, if someone happens and I cant eat for a whole day (happens a lot at work) I dont even get hungry. I get to eat bacon and eggs every day while ppl sitthere with their all bran cereal and stare at me. then they eat snacks all day because they are hungry.

The broscience is strong.

Originally Posted by Wiiownz16 View Post
    The broscience is strong.
    I dont commit to something without researching it. Anyway, this is the path I have chosen and I like it. this thread isnt about arguing about what kind of diet is best. I know theres other low carb people on this site and just wanted some food ideas.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I can see why you would embrace the paleo lifestyle.

Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wiiownz16 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I dont commit to something without researching it. Anyway, this is the path I have chosen and I like it. this thread isnt about arguing about what kind of diet is best. I know theres other low carb people on this site and just wanted some food ideas.
    As it's already been stated: oils, 77/23 hamburger, etc.

There's tons of low carb people everywhere. Very little of what they say is actually backed up by emperical, scientific evidence. Carbs = water, which is why high carb bulks look less lean than keto bulks. It always amazes me the amount of money that people are willing to fork out on high fat/high pro diet, only to have all of that excess converted to glucose (for carb cyclers), or ketones (for ketogenic dieters). It's a waste of money and very little supports their claims imho.

Good luck though OP.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I dont commit to something without researching it.
    I'm all for researching. Have you read the presentation by Alan Aragon?

I mean if you read a book by a CEO of a supplement company it might be interesting to read the opinion of someone who has his earned his Bachelor and Master of Science in Nutrition with top honors. Right?

It will probably only take ten minutes to read it: http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NS...ook/Aragon.pdf

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    I'm all for researching. Have you read the presentation by Alan Aragon?

I mean if you read a book by a CEO of a supplement company it might be interesting to read the opinion of someone who has his earned his Bachelor and Master of Science in Nutrition with top honors. Right?

It will probably only take ten minutes to read it: http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NS...ook/Aragon.pdf
    I have read that. And I've read a rebuttal on that article. And a rebuttal on the rebuttal. And a rebuttal to that one ect...

At the end of the day, who the phuck knows anything? For 5 years science says eggs are bad, then the next 5 years they say eggs are good. ect..

Nutrition is like religion. The argument will continue forever and no one will ever win.

Theres so many greedy hands in the pot that the research will never be clean, and if it is clean, it probably wont be released. You just have to do what feels right for you.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For 5 years science says eggs are bad, then the next 5 years they say eggs are good. ect..
    Not exactly.

People said eggs are bad, but the research never supported that conclusion.

I have read that. And I've read a rebuttal on that article. And a rebuttal on the rebuttal. And a rebuttal to that one ect...

At the end of the day, who the phuck knows anything? For 5 years science says eggs are bad, then the next 5 years they say eggs are good. ect..

Nutrition is like religion. The argument will continue forever and no one will ever win.

Theres so many greedy hands in the pot that the research will never be clean, and if it is clean, it probably wont be released. You just have to do what feels right for you.
    Did you know that the last edition of the Primal Blueprint contains mayor differences with the first one?

In the first one Sisson was bashing all carbs and all grains as poison and causes of disease. In the last edition he has changed his words completely and now even recommends carb sources for active people.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Not exactly.

People said eggs are bad, but the research never supported that conclusion.
    that was just a random example. I have no idea if eggs were ever bad. I am just saying, theories come out and then they change.

I can tell you to show me research saying grains dont cause inflammation and you probably can. I can show you research that shows they do. How can that be?

Anyway. I am going to buy peanut butter. Not the chunky kind.

Did you know that the last edition of the Primal Blueprint contains mayor differences with the first one?

In the first one Sisson was bashing all carbs and all grains as poison and causes of disease. In the last edition he has changed his words completely and now even recommends carb sources for active people.
    I hvent read the 2nd one. Have you read the first one? Cause he states in the first one that more carbs are recommended for active people and he has a list of what he calls "good carbs". So it sounds like he didnt change his words.

sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100) sixxpoint is not very well liked. (-100)
    People say egg yolks are bad because they contain a good deal of fat and cholesterol. The cholesterol fear was promoted by pharm companies selling drugs to lower cholesterol. Probably the same thing with this anti-inflammatory diet trend.

I've heard both sides of the fence to this argument too, and having been a sheep for a while and falling to this mindset, I'm now learning that fats and cholesterol are not bad for you. 80% of our brain is cholesterol. Eggs are quite possibly the best food, and the most complete food for you, from a nutritional standpoint. Rice & Beans share a similar complete nutritional profile, but if you nix the rice and just eat the beans then you're missing out!!
    Last edited by sixxpoint; 05-30-2013 at 12:55 PM.

I hvent read the 2nd one. Have you read the first one? Cause he states in the first one that more carbs are recommended for active people and he has a list of what he calls "good carbs". So it sounds like he didnt change his words.
    Unfortunately I only have the 2009 edition. It's true that Sisson allows some carbs in that one but the choices are quite limited iirc, stuff like yams are ok. Still he says some very negative things about carbs that are not based in science.

A friend of mine has the last edition and he said Sisson made some radical changes. One of them being a much more positive stance on carbs and a more positive take on non gluten grains. I'll ask him if he can send me the book so I can read it for myself.

Unfortunately I only have the 2009 edition. It's true that Sisson allows some carbs in that one but the choices are quite limited iirc, stuff like yams are ok. Still he says some very negative things about carbs that are not based in science.

A friend of mine has the last edition and he said Sisson made some radical changes. One of them being a much more positive stance on carbs and a more positive take on non gluten grains. I'll ask him if he can send me the book so I can read it for myself.
    I know in the one I have he says white rice and sweet potato, to name a few. He says grains are useless as far as nutritional value because they arent surrounded with anything useful like carbs found in other foods.

I am not a radical. My views arent set in stone. Its just what I am doing right now. My gf's parents grew up in europe and followed a more or less low carb diet just by way of culture. They are by farthe best looking 50+ year olds I have ever seen, without hitting weights ect..

He says grains are useless as far as nutritional value because they arent surrounded with anything useful like carbs found in other foods.
    Whole grains are high in minerals, fiber, and B vitamins last time I checked. They aid digestion in normal people without gluten allergies.

I know in the one I have he says white rice and sweet potato, to name a few.
    Wild rice you mean ... mayor difference if we were to believe Sisson.

My gf's parents grew up in europe and followed a more or less low carb diet just by way of culture. They are by farthe best looking 50+ year olds I have ever seen, without hitting weights ect..
    There are the 6 areas in the world with the highest percentage of people over 100, they get about 50% of their diet from starches. Here's 3 of them:

Note all the Paleo violations on that chart: whole grains, legumes, soy.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vendiagram.gif

Originally Posted by sixxpoint View Post
    Whole grains are high in minerals, fiber, and B vitamins last time I checked. They aid digestion in normal people without gluten allergies.
    Well said. Would have repped you if I could.