epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Creatine and D-pinitol controlled study

Very interesting controlled study documented by Journal of Exercise Physiology about the effects of taking Creatine and D-Pinitol together. Please replace "~" with "." in the URL. I can't have links in my posts yet. You need Microsoft Word to open this link

www~asep~org/asep/asep/Greenwo1.doc

the bottom line is that pinitol could help us reducing the large calorie intake required with creatine intake :

..., until now the only known method for enhancing creatine uptake has been by co-ingestion of creatine with large amounts of glucose (e.g., 35-95 g) and/or glucose and protein (~50 g each) (2-5). Results of this pilot trial suggest that pinitol may have a direct effect on insulin sensitization, which may thereby facilitate creatine uptake. Second, the apparent influence that low-dose D-pinitol supplementation has on whole body creatine retention is similar to that exhibited indirectly via carbohydrate as carbohydrate triggers the release of insulin and insulin facilitates creatine uptake (6). It is possible that since D-pinitol may have insulin like effects, the need to ingest large amounts of carbohydrate or carbohydrate and protein during creatine loading may either reduced or eliminated......

.....Further investigation into this phenomenon has shown that ingesting 35 g of carbohydrate with each dose of creatine may promote greater training adaptations than ingesting creatine alone (4) and that the combination of carbohydrate and protein will also augment creatine retention (5). Though this phenomenon is interesting, it can be onerous to the athlete, as one would have to consume an extra 560–1,500 calories with creatine in order to promote these adaptations. Consequently, there has been interest in determining whether other nutritional interventions may augment creatine retention.

Since D-pinitol has been reported to have insulin-like properties (9,10), co-ingestion of D-pinitol with creatine may serve as a means of augmenting creatine retention without having to ingest large quantities of carbohydrate and/or carbohydrate and protein. ......
    Last edited by epekarik; 05-27-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
    "I Come in Peace. I Didn't Bring Artillery. But I'm Pleading With You, With Tears in My Eyes: If You F... With Me, I'll Kill You All."

General James N. Mattis is a United States Marine Corps officer currently serving (since 2010) as the Commander of the U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM).

TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheJediBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    not sure if srs. There's no need to take creatine with glucose, and doing so makes a minor difference at best, which in any case is completely irrelevent already if you actually consider creatine's Mechanism of action . . .

So why on earth would anyone do this study

amazing what people waste their time and money on (assuming it wasn't too much though)

epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10) epekarik is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile

Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    not sure if srs. There's no need to take creatine with glucose, and doing so makes a minor difference at best, which in any case is completely irrelevent already if you actually consider creatine's Mechanism of action . . .

So why on earth would anyone do this study

amazing what people waste their time and money on (assuming it wasn't too much though)

TheJediBrah,

I just saw million $ spent on studying some type of butterfly mating ritual. I guess you give money people will use it. :-) Anyhow, how I stumbled onto the above study is by reading about Creatine from Richard Kreider, Ph.D., chairman of the Department of Health, Human Performance and Recreation and Director of the Exercise and Sport Nutrition Laboratory and Center for Exercise, Nutrition & Preventive Health Research at Baylor University. <- boy, that is a mouthful.

He states that evidence that coingesting creatine with D-pinitol may help creatine uptake into muscle, -- so I started digging about D-pinitol with creatine and stumbled on the above article/study.

The Facts About Creatine
    Everything you need to know about creatine. Is it safe? Are there side effects? Just what is creatine, anyway? - Richard Kreider, Ph.D.

www~menshealth~com/supplements/articles/The_Facts_About_Creatine.php

1. Are there any side effects to creatine?
    2. What is the best form of creatine to take?
    3. Should athletes load or not load?
    4. Should athletes take creatine alone or with other nutrients?
    5. When is the Best Time to Take Creatine?
    6. Should athletes cycle on and off creatine?
    7. Does caffeine or acidity affect creatine?
    8. Do men and women respond differently to creatine supplementation?
    9. Weight gain derived from creatine ingestion: Is it water or muscle?
    10. Should children or teenagers take creatine?
    11. Is long-term creatine supplementation safe?
    12. Is creatine supplementation ethical?
    Last edited by epekarik; 05-28-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: added info
    "I Come in Peace. I Didn't Bring Artillery. But I'm Pleading With You, With Tears in My Eyes: If You F... With Me, I'll Kill You All."

General James N. Mattis is a United States Marine Corps officer currently serving (since 2010) as the Commander of the U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM).

TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TMac26 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Most of us are well aware of the Baylor study. The conclusion is that carbs are not need for creatine to be absorbed in the muscle. Creatine does a mighty fine job on its own and once saturation is reached, the timing of the dose does not matter. Only that saturation is maintained.
    Krispy Kreme Krew Forever.
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity.