Thread: Question

shasingalls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Im trying to lose weight, and am watching my calorie intake. I get hungry at about 9 (an hour or so before bed) and I was wondering, would it be better to eat grapes or egg whites with turkey bacon?

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do I smell troll?

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you're not trolling, then the first step you need to take is to learn the basics about nutrition, as the names of the foods you eat do not determine the outcome of your diet.

Start learning by reading the relevant stickies at the top of the nutrition forum.

FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Outside the context of overall nutrition, it doesn't matter. If you've hit all your macronutrients and have additional calories to consume, eat whichever you like. If you need more protein or fat, go with the bacon and eggs.

Read the sticky on calculating calories and macros, and eat foods you like that fulfill those daily needs while ensuring that you get plenty of micronutrients as well.
    Few things are set in stone, except that you have to squat or you are a pussy. - Mark Rippetoe

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    P.S. If it were me, I'd consume whole eggs and regular bacon.

No, Im not trolling. I searched Google for the answer and found this site so signed up so I can ask. Im not a bodybuilder, Im just fat. I had my 4th baby 10 months ago and while I was pregnant I gained 85 pounds. Ive only lost half of that. My husband thinks that the grapes would be better because of the water content, but Im worried about the sugar. Before having my 4th baby I had lost 110 pounds, but this time around, trying to lose this baby weight has been so very hard on me and I cant fit in my clothes. I had great dedication before .. now I will wake up with it and then my day gets overwhelming .. I finally found a food plan I can stick with, but at night after all the kids are in bed and asleep I could go crazy with food, which is why I have only lost half my baby weight. I am determined to lose it now though, and need to know which is better. I couldnt eat whole eggs and bacon, I would gain weight so fast ... my body is crazy with weight. I dont know if this matters, but I also had my tubes tied 8 months ago ... so I just need som ehonest advice between the 2 .. grapes, or egg whites with turkey bacon?

Originally Posted by shasingalls View Post
    so I just need som ehonest advice between the 2 .. grapes, or egg whites with turkey bacon?
    The names of the foods you eat do not matter. Really. You do not get fat or lose weight based on food names.

Daily energy balance and micro/macronutrient sufficiency are what matter.

Take in more calories than you expend and you'll gain weight. Take in fewer calories and you'll lose weight. Regardless of the names of the foods you eat.

Ensure sufficient intake of micronutrients and macronutrients and you'll be healthier and have better body composition.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    The names of the foods you eat do not matter. Really. You do not get fat or lose weight based on food names.

Daily energy balance and micro/macronutrient sufficiency are what matter.

Take in more calories than you expend and you'll gain weight. Take in fewer calories and you'll lose weight. Regardless of the names of the foods you eat.

Ensure sufficient intake of micronutrients and macronutrients and you'll be healthier and have better body composition.
    Ha1 You sound like my husband, thanks for the advice Well, I guess I should just calculate the numbers and all that .. I dont have a lot of time to count calories so I was trying to make it easier on me.

MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MetilHed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No, Im not trolling. I searched Google for the answer and found this site so signed up so I can ask. Im not a bodybuilder, Im just fat. I had my 4th baby 10 months ago and while I was pregnant I gained 85 pounds. Ive only lost half of that. My husband thinks that the grapes would be better because of the water content, but Im worried about the sugar. Before having my 4th baby I had lost 110 pounds, but this time around, trying to lose this baby weight has been so very hard on me and I cant fit in my clothes. I had great dedication before .. now I will wake up with it and then my day gets overwhelming .. I finally found a food plan I can stick with, but at night after all the kids are in bed and asleep I could go crazy with food, which is why I have only lost half my baby weight. I am determined to lose it now though, and need to know which is better. I couldnt eat whole eggs and bacon, I would gain weight so fast ... my body is crazy with weight. I dont know if this matters, but I also had my tubes tied 8 months ago ... so I just need som ehonest advice between the 2 .. grapes, or egg whites with turkey bacon?
    The only consideration between the two then, is which one has the least amount of calories. Calories in vs. Calories out. That said, you really should consider tracking macros and calories to make sure you're getting enough of what you need within your calorie budget. (And I wouldn't know how to calculate that, assuming you are nursing).

MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MrBillson is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ha1 You sound like my husband, thanks for the advice Well, I guess I should just calculate the numbers and all that .. I dont have a lot of time to count calories so I was trying to make it easier on me.
    If you have a smartphone you can get an app like myfitnesspal which makes calorie/macro tracking much easier and less time consuming.

As an answer to your initial question, well. Which do you prefer? what else have you eaten in the day? how much of each of the options are you planning on eating?

Also I would never advise removing the yolk from an egg.

Quick question: why are you considering egg whites and not whole eggs?

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Quick question: why are you considering egg whites and not whole eggs?
    because yolks make you fat duh
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Originally Posted by cumminslifter View Post
    because yolks make you fat duh
    What's sad is that some folks believe this, particularly folks that keep gaining weight and can't figure out why.

Thank You! That was actually very helpful! So I will get my heart rate monitor out and start using it again and just get the calculations I need, but because I usually dont have time for all of that I can eat grapes in the evening guilt free

What's sad is that some folks believe this, particularly folks that keep gaining weight and can't figure out why.
    Too many fat people eating 6000 calories a day from egg whites, fruit and rice cakes thinking they'll lose weight because they're on a low fat diet. Then they make no progress and assume they have a slow metabolism or something.

Originally Posted by MrBillson View Post
    Too many fat people eating 6000 calories...
    Sadly, the obese often suffer from malnutrition while in an (acute) caloric surplus, with fear of dietary fat being one of the primary causes.

Thank You! That was actually very helpful! So I will get my heart rate monitor out and start using it again and just get the calculations I need, but because I usually dont have time for all of that I can eat grapes in the evening guilt free
    I dont exercise a ton, right now Im exercising at a vigorous pace for 45-60 minutes a day, by doing Les Mills Combat and Crossfit. When I lift weights, its dumbbells I have at home (between 5 and 8 pounds) so I am worried about fat. I do have myfitnesspal already, I havent used it for over a year now .. I should check back into it. My food plan is so very basic. I eat 3 Lean Cuisines with Veggies a day .. along with fruit & 1 Light Yogurt. Its easy .. otherwise what I had been doing is not eating because I didnt have time to make healthy food, or I would eat everything I could find ... both sucked for me. My plan now isnt perfect, but I can do it. If anyone has better advice though, I am open to it. I cant spend a lot of time exercising ... just when the baby is napping. I have 2 kids in school, and 2 out of school, but come September my 5 year old will be in K so I will only have the baby at home. I also have a gym membership that provides childcare, so I can start going there after I have 3 of my kids in school. So yesterday I ate 1500 calories. I dont know how many I burned though. Ive been using egg whites over eggs because I have to watch my cholesterol (I have a family full of people who have high cholesterol) and I was advised to eat only 1 whole egg a day, the rest egg whites.

I dont exercise a ton, right now Im exercising at a vigorous pace for 45-60 minutes a day, by doing Les Mills Combat and Crossfit. When I lift weights, its dumbbells I have at home (between 5 and 8 pounds) so I am worried about fat. I do have myfitnesspal already, I havent used it for over a year now .. I should check back into it. My food plan is so very basic. I eat 3 Lean Cuisines with Veggies a day .. along with fruit & 1 Light Yogurt. Its easy .. otherwise what I had been doing is not eating because I didnt have time to make healthy food, or I would eat everything I could find ... both sucked for me. My plan now isnt perfect, but I can do it. If anyone has better advice though, I am open to it. I cant spend a lot of time exercising ... just when the baby is napping. I have 2 kids in school, and 2 out of school, but come September my 5 year old will be in K so I will only have the baby at home. I also have a gym membership that provides childcare, so I can start going there after I have 3 of my kids in school. So yesterday I ate 1500 calories. I dont know how many I burned though. Ive been using egg whites over eggs because I have to watch my cholesterol (I have a family full of people who have high cholesterol) and I was advised to eat only 1 whole egg a day, the rest egg whites.
    1500 calories sounds very low. You need to ensure that you are meeting your macro and micro nutrient requirements while eating at a slight calorie deficit if you want to lose weight and remain healthy.

Originally Posted by MrBillson View Post
    1500 calories sounds very low. You need to ensure that you are meeting your macro and micro nutrient requirements while eating at a slight calorie deficit if you want to lose weight and remain healthy.
    I was worried 1500 was too high because I dont exercise very much. So Im feeling better about my calorie intake, and Im going to get more info on what I really need ... of course all of this is what I love, then I will get busy with life and it gets put on the back burner. But still, MFP was a good suggestion!

My food plan is so very basic. I eat 3 Lean Cuisines with Veggies a day .. along with fruit & 1 Light Yogurt.
    That sounds like an astonishingly poor diet.

Ive been using egg whites over eggs because I have to watch my cholesterol (I have a family full of people who have high cholesterol) and I was advised to eat only 1 whole egg a day, the rest egg whites.
    Ironically, a high fat, moderate protein and low carb diet is likely to (dramatically) improve blood lipids, where the diet you're on will likely cause a very bad reading with elevated triglycerides and low HDL.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you need to re evaluate your diet op.
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total