evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Broken Collarbone - supplements that are likely to help?

So I broke my collarbone a few weeks ago. Got metal bar put in etc...

In a few weeks I'm getting a follow up x-ray to see progress.

I've looked on here for a list of everythign that might help (Ideally ranked by likelihood of working) and can't find much, so lemme post what my research has discovered so far and let me know your opinions:

Things my Dr. recommended and are conventionally accepted to work:

1) Calcium - Ideally calcium citrate. 2000mg/day. spaced out. Ideally not near zing or magnisium (So I make sure I don't take this with any ZMA at night that I may take to help promote rest)
    2) Vitamin D3 - 2,000 - 6,000 IU a day. At least 2,000 but can go much higher as tolerable upper limit is in the 60,000s at least.

Things my Dr. didn't recommend, but other "mainstream" sources seem to hold in high regard:

3) K2 - Possibly the missing link to avoid the "Calcium Paradox" (where people have brittle bones yet calcium deposits elsewhere in body). Helps calcium "go where it needs to go". I have this in liquid form with K2 and D3 combined.
    4) Glucosimine/Condroitin/Hyalauronic Acid - Not really bone specific but joint specific. May help me not lose flexibility range of motion. And heck, I have Animal Flex from before the injury so I figure I may keep taking them while I heal. (note: I try to space this out with the calcium as the Animal Flex has Zinc in it which may interfere with Calcium absorption).
    5) Creatine - yep creatine isn't just for bodybuilding. I believe research shows it helps recovery from broken bones and other injuries. Definitely scaled down how much i take per day, but still do take some.
    6) Glutamine - Similar to creatine, in that it's something I had already had so I'll keep taking it while injured. Not sure if I'd buy it specifically for an injury if I didn't own it already though.

Things that aren't mainstream (yet) but have been recommended either on here or elsewhere and I decided they are all worth the risk... usually about $20 each or so:

7) Cissius - herb based. alleged to help bones heal
    8) Beef Gealtin - probably negligible compared to all of the above, but it's such a negligible cost. I'm probably already going to be paying about $2,000 (after insurance) for the surgery, so what's an additional $10 to give me a slight increase in odds of successful heal?
    9) Wobenzyme - possibly helps with healing and inflammation in general? I happened to have a bottle of this lying around so I added a few a day before meals. Not sure if I'd buy it specifically for broken bones, though.

Any thoughts?

AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your best off with rest. Injuries heal at their own rate basically no matter what. I broke my femur in half, got the titanium rod and all that jazz and was able to walk in about 4 weeks (not under dr recommendation) and could run in 6 weeks. Spending money in supplements to heal broken bones seems almost pointless. The only one I'd recommend is calcium obviously because it's your best bet for bone health. But I don't really think anything will speed up the healing significantly

Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bert710 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AMeyer9 View Post
    Your best off with rest. Injuries heal at their own rate basically no matter what. I broke my femur in half, got the titanium rod and all that jazz and was able to walk in about 4 weeks (not under dr recommendation) and could run in 6 weeks. Spending money in supplements to heal broken bones seems almost pointless. The only one I'd recommend is calcium obviously because it's your best bet for bone health. But I don't really think anything will speed up the healing significantly
    Strong this. Rest is going to be the best thing you can do over any supplement you are going to be able to take.

evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500) evanisaac is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think it's naive to think that supplementation can have benefits for working out/bodybuilding but can't possibly have benefits for recovery from broken bones or injuries.

Unless you don't use any supplements...?

rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000) rangerkid2187 is just really nice. (+1000)
    drink your milk and rest, broken collarbones suck.

I had the same thing brah. Skateboarding when I was 15. Shattered the collarbone, had plates and screws to make them mend, 2 surgeries and now I am asymetrical (one collarbone is slightly shorter and higher than the other).
    Misc. Firearm Crew