shak2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Is 90 days realistic for getting a six pack abs?

Hi guys,

Basically, I have set myself a 90 day goal to get a six pack. Here are my current results on the tanita scale:

Male:
    Height : 6ft (183 cm)
    Weight : 170 pounds, or 77 KG ~ or 12 stone
    Body Fat: 14 % (fluctuates through the day, minimum has been 13.5%, maximum 14.5%)
    Water: 58~%
    Muscle Mass: 64KG or 140 pounds, or 10 stone
    BMR (Basal metabolic rate) : 1980 - this is the amount of calories I burn everyday just breathing, and without any exercise.

After 90 days, I believe that my results will be somewhat like this:

Weight: 74kg
    Body Fat: 10-11%
    Water: 60%
    Muscle Mass: 63KG
    BMR: 1950~

As you can see above, not really dramatic results, I just want to reach it slowly but surely.

I do have little fat around my stomach area, but I know that I have a six pack beneath the fat because I can see my middle abs. I believe that I need to go down to about 10% body fat to see my abs.

In conclusion, I am on a 1,500 calorie diet, with 90-100grams of protein, and no gym, just walking. I am not expecting to lose much weight at all, just body fat %, as I believe my weight is pretty healthy anyway, a 2-4 kg loss is all I'm aiming for. Is 90 days realistic for a six pack? what do you guys think? any advice?

To be honest I don't really care if i don't get those amazing abs, I just want to lose that little stomach fat, and since I have a lot of muscle mass (64kg), I think there's a good chance of seeing my abs.

Also, when i say 'diet' I don't mean those fad diets. My diet if fine, I am just eating 500 calories less than I normally do (with more protein intake) which will help me get the body fat down I believe.

All answers appreciated.

Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Kdawg22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by shak2 View Post
    Hi guys,

Basically, I have set myself a 90 day goal to get a six pack. Here are my current results on the tanita scale:

Male:
    Height : 6ft (183 cm)
    Weight : 170 pounds, or 77 KG ~ or 12 stone
    Body Fat: 14 % (fluctuates through the day, minimum has been 13.5%, maximum 14.5%)
    Water: 58~%
    Muscle Mass: 64KG or 140 pounds, or 10 stone
    BMR (Basal metabolic rate) : 1980 - this is the amount of calories I burn everyday just breathing, and without any exercise.

After 90 days, I believe that my results will be somewhat like this:

Weight: 74kg
    Body Fat: 10-11%
    Water: 60%
    Muscle Mass: 63KG
    BMR: 1950~

As you can see above, not really dramatic results, I just want to reach it slowly but surely.

I do have little fat around my stomach area, but I know that I have a six pack beneath the fat because I can see my middle abs. I believe that I need to go down to about 10% body fat to see my abs.

In conclusion, I am on a 1,500 calorie diet, with 90-100grams of protein, and no gym, just walking. I am not expecting to lose much weight at all, just body fat %, as I believe my weight is pretty healthy anyway, a 2-4 kg loss is all I'm aiming for. Is 90 days realistic for a six pack? what do you guys think? any advice?

To be honest I don't really care if i don't get those amazing abs, I just want to lose that little stomach fat, and since I have a lot of muscle mass (64kg), I think there's a good chance of seeing my abs.

Also, when i say 'diet' I don't mean those fad diets. My diet if fine, I am just eating 500 calories less than I normally do (with more protein intake) which will help me get the body fat down I believe.

All answers appreciated.
    If you do not go to the gym and your just walking you may get a six pack, I personally dont think so. You run the risk of losing a lot of muscle from purely doing cardio. Also depends on how long you walk for. Why are you so against the gym?
    Wrestler at 182.
    Cellucor Whey CnC: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154397431
    AEN Presurge: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154590493
    Prometheus Factor Elite: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155373563&p=1100615083#post1100615083

dvntnation has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah why would you come to bb.com if you hate on the gym. OP what gives OP?

giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50) giggitygoo202 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^^ True dat

evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) evanmp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anyone else see a problem with eating at 1500 calories if his BMR is over 1900?!

Originally Posted by Kdawg22 View Post
    If you do not go to the gym and your just walking you may get a six pack,w I personally dont think so. You run the risk of losing a lot of muscle from purely doing cardio. Also depends on how long you walk for. Why are you so against the gym?
    Sorry? did I say I'm against the gym? To be honest, I do 40-60 minutes of walking per day, no running. I don't really think I will lose muscle. I am tracking my results every 7 days, I am 0.5% down on bodyfat, and so far I haven't lost any muscle.

Originally Posted by dvntnation View Post
    yeah why would you come to bb.com if you hate on the gym. OP what gives OP?
    Again, reconsider my post and point out where I said I hate the gym. BB.com isn't all about the gym , there are tons of articles about nutrition and healthy living which i find very useful.

I thought abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.
    Last edited by shak2; 05-26-2013 at 05:13 AM.

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Abs are developed in the gym, like any other muscle and are shown from a low body fat % from the kitchen.

You shouldn't be eating below your BMR for extended periods of time.
    What is your TDEE?
    Eat 10% less than that.

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry? did I say I'm against the gym? To be honest, I do 40-60 minutes of walking per day, no running. I don't really think I will lose muscle. I am tracking my results every 7 days, I am 0.5% down on bodyfat, and so far I haven't lost any muscle.

Again, reconsider my post and point out where I said I hate the gym. BB.com isn't all about the gym , there are tons of articles about nutrition and healthy living which i find very useful.

You are assuming you will not lose muscle mass but your method of determining fat percentage and lean percentage is heavily flawed and probably one of the least accurate predictors of body composition:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=218

If you don't want to apply any resistance training that's up to you. Do your walking and hope for the best, but the idea that you'll retain LBM in any sufficient manner without any resistance training is laughable.

I'm not suggesting your bicep will fall off when you wake up tomorrow, but your results obviously won't be nearly as good as they would were you to apply some resistance training.

If anything, a bodyweight based program like Convict Conditioning would help significantly.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

Originally Posted by tara19 View Post
    Abs are developed in the gym, like any other muscle and are shown from a low body fat % from the kitchen.

You shouldn't be eating below your BMR for extended periods of time.
    What is your TDEE?
    Eat 10% less than that.
    I am going to eat less than my BMR for 90 days, or 60, depending on when i reach my goal. After that, I will eat my BMR or slightly higher.

I found a TDEE calculator, mine worked out as 2,500 .

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am going to eat less than my BMR for 90 days, or 60, depending on when i reach my goal. After that, I will eat my BMR or slightly higher.
    TDEE =/= BMR. You should be basing your energy needs off of total expenditure, not BMR.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

My TDEE workout out as 2,500. Should I be eating slightly less than that?

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I found a TDEE calculator, mine worked out as 2,500 .
    How do you expect your body to lose body fat and function when you aren't eating over your BMR which you say is ""the amount of calories I burn everyday just breathing, and without any exercise""
    Your body will hold every little bit of fat and it will make losing weight difficult.
    Regardless, you're not going to take anyones advice. So goodluck OP.

My TDEE workout out as 2,500. Should I be eating slightly less than that?

Generally speaking yes, you should be basing your intake off of TDEE. Read the stickied thread I attached in my previous reply.

Originally Posted by SideSteal View Post
    Generally speaking yes, you should be basing your intake off of TDEE. Read the stickied thread I attached in my previous reply.
    I have read the thread now, it says in order to lose weight, I should subtract 10%-20% from my TDEE, and that would workout as 2000-2250 calories for me. The only problem is that I have tried eating 2,000 calories for a long time, and I am not burning the fat, as soon as I started eating 1,500 calories, I see the fat coming off.

Chestrong93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chestrong93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chestrong93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chestrong93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chestrong93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chestrong93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by giggitygoo202 View Post
    ^^^ True dat
    haha yeah

Cool

Originally Posted by Chestrong93 View Post
    haha yeah
    I know I might not look ripped without the gym. But I am somewhat sure that I can lose my little stomach fat by eating a sensible diet and without going to the gym.

I've been trying to post a picture of my current body, but it's saying that i need to have 50 posts in order to post picture links.

Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Luana4U has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    That's not near enough.If you want a six pack you have to focus on abdominal excersices (main,left,right etc) and get the necessary protein supply.

Originally Posted by Luana4U View Post
    That's not near enough.If you want a six pack you have to focus on abdominal excersices (main,left,right etc) and get the necessary protein supply.
    I think it's better for me to focus on losing body fat first, then do ab exercises. When I eat 2000 calories, I don't lose any weight or body fat, that's why I'm going down to 1,500 calories, I guess everyones body is different.

blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blindspot13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    tired of these troll threads
    x

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DyingAtheist is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think it's better for me to focus on losing body fat first, then do ab exercises. When I eat 2000 calories, I don't lose any weight or body fat, that's why I'm going down to 1,500 calories, I guess everyones body is different.
    Why not do both? You'll lose fat quicker if you're putting a bit of time in the gym too.
    You WOULD lose fat at 2000 if your TDEE is really 2500, it'll be a slower process sure, but if you're hitting it you'd lose fat...that's not arguable.

donwonsong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fasting

Since you dont plan on doing much resistance training, I would say fast a bit. It would help you reach your goal, maybe even sooner than 90 days

p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500) p0werlifter is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Luana4U View Post
    Ab exercises don't do much at all. I did ab exercises all through highschool and didn't have a 6 pack. It wasn't until I did heavy weight training that I gained a 6 pack. Got it mostly from doing heavy squats and deadlifts since your abs have to stabilize your body to do those lifts.

mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mkcookin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by p0werlifter View Post
    Ab exercises don't do much at all. I did ab exercises all through highschool and didn't have a 6 pack. It wasn't until I did heavy weight training that I gained a 6 pack. Got it mostly from doing heavy squats and deadlifts since your abs have to stabilize your body to do those lifts.
    Not entirely true -- a lot of ab exercises don't target your abdominal muscles well like sit ups and crunches.

I would focus on compound exercises like hanging leg raises and other exercises that actually stablize your core and spine like Planks. This will strengthen your abs and help get them more defined.

As far your diet -- I think others are right you should be eating enough calories to = your BMR. Then simply make sure you are burning more calories then that to reduce your body fat %.

An easy way to go about doing this is through HIIT. It burns a ton of calories, is very effective, and takes little time to do.
    5 Best Moves To Getting Cuts Abs:

Go Here >>> http://mikecookrecommends.info/