Jeff4health has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I will be a new PT at a Large chain gym pls help

Good day

Please can anyone give me some info about working at a large chain gym ie VA. A pm or reply would be perfect.

I'm about to go and work there as a PT for the first time and it will be my first time as a PT.

Can anyone guide me with regards to the initial process: ie

say i have a client interested in PT. what are the steps i need to take from beginning to end ie:

as i understand it, the large chain gym let the front desk handle the ParQ, great ok so i might have some background info on the person hopefully before we meet, what is the next step ?

Sit down and chat about goals ? or do fitness assessment ? skinfolds ( i be some clients will be offended with regards to skinfold tests ?) Take heart rate measurement/blood pressure ? Strength assessment ? Do i need to do all that with every client or does one need to do a guesstimate on what to do and what not to do according to how the client interacts with you, Ie finding out what he's interested in, if he trained before etc.. Does one need to do fitness/strength tests immediately ? Or should one take the client to the floor and let them have a go at the equipment first on low weight settings to asses their technique ?

Do i need to ask how they'd like to be trained ? ie weights machine's cables ? I just need a basic layout
    of how to proceed with all clients that i might be getting.
    Last edited by Jeff4health; 05-24-2013 at 03:54 AM.

DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DefyIsHuge has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's always surprising to me how many new PT's ask these kind of questions. What do certifications go over these days?

OP, the first and foremost thing with any new client is to have a conversation with them. Sit them down and get to know your client- the better you know your client, the better you can tailor their program. Ask about the medical history, any injuries(if any), and if not most important, their goals. In my training, the first session is always a lot slower than a normal session would be. After the conversation, it'd be important to do measurements with tape and skinfold for BF%. Everyone needs a starting point.

At this point, the client is nervous about the workout and wants to get out on the floor. Get them a good 5-10 min warm up to burn off some tension and elevate the h/r. I always do my strength assessments to get a better idea of my clients compensations, and possibly finish off with a good core circuit, because that will be one of everybody's weak points and most will like the fact you incorporated it in the workout.

Never ask a client how they'd like to train in the beginning stages. Why wouldn't they just train themselves at that point? Good luck, it's always a little unnerving with a new client at a new gym. Just relax and give a fun, enjoyable session.

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ive written a detailed post on this that should help

http://helpforpersonaltrainers.com/c...ng-experience/

Since you have no experience, you should also read this

http://helpforpersonaltrainers.com/h...dures-cpr-aed/

My personal site has additional information I highly recommend you look at
    Joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

Thank you guys No no, they taught me those things well, the thing is probably just some nerves making one think that knowing those basic steps is just not enough in combination with the fact i need some refresment for i completed the certificate 2 years ago already but never started pt right afterwards, thank you both for the help !

I guess with some time and experience it hopefully will all become more natural.

Registered User ericzimmerman34's Avatar
    ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Trust me your worrying to much. The best but most nerve racking part of training for me was just jumping in and watching all my knowledge come together as it was applied.

I would get together with your fitness and/or club manager and even some of the other trainers and ask these questions. This is because it seems like all gyms have different preferred basic layout of how they start things off and different managers will some times take care of certain parts. A few simple questions and a little time with your boss will have you much more confident and comfortable. We can all speculate but it would be best to ask him what he expects and wants from you along with advice on how you could best do it (its part of his responsibility to help guide and mold you when you first start out especially). I always ask my boss about the client and any expectations and/or conditions they have along with what their personality is like when he tells me about my initial first session with them. This has me confident and helps me get a more effective plan of action. Best of luck bro.
    Obssession is a word lazy people use to describe dedication.

If your not nervous before going to the gym your probably not working out hard enough (my new favorite quote)

B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science
    Cooper Functional Trainer Cert.
    NASM CES in progress

Last edited by Jeff4health; 05-31-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by DefyIsHuge View Post
    It's always surprising to me how many new PT's ask these kind of questions. What do certifications go over these days?

OP, the first and foremost thing with any new client is to have a conversation with them. Sit them down and get to know your client- the better you know your client, the better you can tailor their program. Ask about the medical history, any injuries(if any), and if not most important, their goals. In my training, the first session is always a lot slower than a normal session would be. After the conversation, it'd be important to do measurements with tape and skinfold for BF%. Everyone needs a starting point.

At this point, the client is nervous about the workout and wants to get out on the floor. Get them a good 5-10 min warm up to burn off some tension and elevate the h/r. I always do my strength assessments to get a better idea of my clients compensations, and possibly finish off with a good core circuit, because that will be one of everybody's weak points and most will like the fact you incorporated it in the workout.

Never ask a client how they'd like to train in the beginning stages. Why wouldn't they just train themselves at that point? Good luck, it's always a little unnerving with a new client at a new gym. Just relax and give a fun, enjoyable session.
    Surprisingly good advise from a youngster.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.