Registered User brandoncloetesd's Avatar
    brandoncloetesd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Strength and Conditioning for Golf

I am a collegiate golfer and having just finished the school year, I am looking for a summer conditioning program to help me build some muscle but not compromise my playing ability. What I mean by this is I do not want to grow insane muscle, I just want to strengthen what I have. I have a tall, lean build so I dont need any kind of fat burning program, just one that builds strength and explosive muscle. Is there a program on BodyBuilding.com that caters to this kind of workout?

OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10) OneLastChance is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Without knowing if you've

1. Ever worked out before

2. How much golf you play a week and when you play it

3.And the vagueness of "explosive muscle"

It's incredibly hard to tell you anything.

You say you want "explosive muscle" I'm assuming that means you want to build explosiveness, and preferably in your upper body to get more torque on your swing. The most important thing for a golfer is a strong grip(google grip exercises), obviously good shoulder mobility, and core strength. The core strength to maintain maximum velocity and balance as you swing and hold your follow through so not as to throw the ball off course. Google starting strength and throw in some med ball core exercises 3x a week after you do golf practice.

As for cosmetics,
    As long as you don't eat in surplus you won't gain weight. It's that simple. But you may still gain lean mass in a deficit due to your body composition changing and eating a better diet. Find out how much you weigh and use a calorie calc online to figure how much you should eat a day. Eat 300-500 less than that number.

Again, if you would like to provide more information please do, but the above is a very solid routine to improve any golfer's athleticism and body composition.
    People say all of this crap about genetics this, genetics that. I will never let genetics tell me what I can and cannot do..

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by brandoncloetesd View Post
    I am a collegiate golfer and having just finished the school year, I am looking for a summer conditioning program to help me build some muscle but not compromise my playing ability. What I mean by this is I do not want to grow insane muscle, I just want to strengthen what I have. I have a tall, lean build so I dont need any kind of fat burning program, just one that builds strength and explosive muscle. Is there a program on BodyBuilding.com that caters to this kind of workout?
    well if you are in fact the person your username says you are, then you are a Pac12 golfer. Why are you asking random people on the internet? You belong to a big time d1 athletic program. Use their resources. Go talk to the strength coach. Plus, doesn't your coach put you on a strict workout plan throughout the year?

your licensed Division 1 strength coach is going to know a WHOLE LOT more on how to help you than anybody on here.

brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brousmi23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sounds like whatever you might have planned is better than most golfers. Many golfers don't realize the importance of nutrition and keeping your body healthy... Then again, you could pull a Daly and slam a bottle of whiskey every night and a pack of darts on the course and be uber rich
    Gameday Promos

mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50) mozzimo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey man, I was a scratch golfer before I started lifting. Put on about 15 kg and decided I wanted to get back into it. Shoulder turn couldnt go to 90 degrees anymore, couldnt release the club properly, arms started taking over in the swing because they were a lot stronger. My advice to you would be to do some strength training, especially your legs. Squats 3-6 reps, Deads 3-6 reps. Strong legs are extremely important in golf, you upper body just guides the club (you should already know this). Forget anything hypertrophy and if you do, make sure to stretch every single day.
    Good luck.