mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How do you lose weight on intermittent fasting?

So I started reading about IF about a week ago, I haven't been able to find an answer for this.

As I understand, meal timing doesn't matter as long as cals in<cals out. How then do you lose weight, when doing IF? if your calories are the same as when not doing IF?

Any explanations/links/advice/reading material appreciated!
    I suppose he could swivel..

matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000) matman1813 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's quite simple, you don't. If calories and macros are the same, weight loss/gain will be the same with or without IF.
    R.I.P urukhai29, sentinel3, AncientYouth.

"Eating chips and cookies and drinking soda is just like wandering through life. These are the agents of a purposeless existence. Avocados, turkey burgers, brown rice and eggs etc are the agents of a purposeful existence." - orderoutofchaos, The Internet, 2014

2 Kings 2:23-24

unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I thought IF was a big part of my weight loss success until I went off of it (started snacking all day, as well as eating right before bed and once I woke up) and continued losing weight at the same rate.

Calories in/calories out is about 99% of the weight loss equation; the other 1% is how nutrient timing, etc. affects the caloric equation, so calories in/calories out is actually 100% of the equation.
    Started 2012 at over 410lbs (that was as high as my scale went) and I ended the year at 260lbs.

Still going strong while eating whatever I want - whenever I want; I just keep it to under 2000 calories a day.

TEAM IIFYC (if it fits your calories)

zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000) zzfh is a name known to all. (+5000)
    its just on IF you are more satisfied after your meals cause there bigger,but stilll the same... if you consume the same number of kals,same result.

mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mrbaker3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    IF is another tool used for weight loss or an overall healthy lifestyle. It's not a fad diet plan like Atkins or anything like that, it's just meal-timing. If that makes it easier for you to lose weight or you want to do it for other beneifts such as those listed here then great: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...ting-diet.aspx

But don't do it and not count your cals, and wonder why you aren't dropping weight. There appears to be more and more evidence that it's helpful, but you can't fast for 16 hours, then binge on 5000 cals in your feeding window and be ok.
    May 2004 - 225 lbs.
    May 2010 - 145 lbs.

Live and breathe Mizzou and St. Louis sports!

Completed logs/reviews on: Controlled Labs White Pump, White Flood Reborn, PROnom23, White Flood, & Sample Pack, MuscleTech Phase 8, Anabolic Halo, Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite & Amino Build, Gaspari Nutrition GlycoFuse & AminoLast, Scivation Xtend & Novem

mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50) mBuoya will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by matman1813 View Post
    It's quite simple, you don't. If calories and macros are the same, weight loss/gain will be the same with or without IF.
    Originally Posted by unleashthelion View Post
    I thought IF was a big part of my weight loss success until I went off of it (started snacking all day, as well as eating right before bed and once I woke up) and continued losing weight at the same rate.

Calories in/calories out is about 99% of the weight loss equation; the other 1% is how nutrient timing, etc. affects the caloric equation, so calories in/calories out is actually 100% of the equation.
    Thanks all for the answers. Just a follow up question. Do you usually lower calories during the feeding window? or is it more of a personal preference?

leg drive is a myth KennyWheels's Avatar
    KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000) KennyWheels is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mBuoya View Post
    Thanks all for the answers. Just a follow up question. Do you usually lower calories during the feeding window? or is it more of a personal preference?
    Depends on what your goal is, IF is not going to affect weather you lose or gain weight, calories will though.

Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Revolutionize has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by zzfh View Post
    its just on IF you are more satisfied after your meals cause there bigger,but stilll the same... if you consume the same number of kals,same result.
    ^^^^This. The main benefit (for me, at least) is that I like one to two big meals rather than a bunch of small meals. You still need to be in a deficit, get your macros, etc.
    2/14: 218
    7/7: 183

"The poison is in the dose." ~ Brad Pilon

"What matters is actually doing something. You usually won't find out if something is right for you ahead of time unless you just hunker down and try it. So stop worrying and start hunkering." ~ Lyle McDonald

" 'Why' is one of the most powerful words you can put in your vocabulary." ~ Alan Aragon

"I'm lucky because I can eat whatever I want and I just get really, really fat." ~ Louis C.K.

Originally Posted by KennyWheels View Post
    Depends on what your goal is, IF is not going to affect weather you lose or gain weight, calories will though.
    Originally Posted by Revolutionize View Post
    ^^^^This. The main benefit (for me, at least) is that I like one to two big meals rather than a bunch of small meals. You still need to be in a deficit, get your macros, etc.

Gotcha, thanks for all your help. It just seems like everyone on IF loses so much weight, I guess they must lower their calories as well as fasting.

vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vismal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The reason people on IF do so well is that it makes eating at a deficit incredible easy. I feel that because you still get a few big meals you can keep calories low. Compliance is high on IF and this makes it look magic. If you were just as compliant on the same amount of calories eating 3, or 6, or 9 meals a day you would see identical results. I know personally I would not be able to stick to a 20% deficit for 2-3 months straight eating 6 times a day. I would become food focused and eventually cheat and or binge. For this reason I will see better results on IF not because fasting is metabolic magic, but because it allows me to actually stick to my diet.
    -Former 300lb club

My Transformation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEs4py6FUs

My YouTube Page: http://www.youtube.com/feedingfitness

"Obsessed is a term lazy people use to describe the dedicated."

Crassiest Modulator Alive memcop's Avatar
    memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz memcop has the mod powerz
    Hold on I just watched a video where Blaha explained it best...........

/management
    Homerotic Modulator, Envious of Idiocy

Originally Posted by vismal View Post
    The reason people on IF do so well is that it makes eating at a deficit incredible easy. I feel that because you still get a few big meals you can keep calories low. Compliance is high on IF and this makes it look magic. If you were just as compliant on the same amount of calories eating 3, or 6, or 9 meals a day you would see identical results. I know personally I would not be able to stick to a 20% deficit for 2-3 months straight eating 6 times a day. I would become food focused and eventually cheat and or binge. For this reason I will see better results on IF not because fasting is metabolic magic, but because it allows me to actually stick to my diet.
    Thanks for the explanation. That's exactly why I started to look into it. I've been on a deficit for about 2 months with good progress, counting calories and macros but sometimes it gets obsessive with all the meals, bringing food to work etc..Have you done IF yourself? btw awesome transformation man!

Originally Posted by memcop View Post
    Hold on I just watched a video where Blaha explained it best...........

/management
    Thank you! that helped.

ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ajosbor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I only did if for a short time on my last cut but it helped me becuase my wife always has food ready for me when i get home and i'm not about to tell her i'm not going to eat something because it will take me over my cals for the day. So, if i IF all day, then it's pretty hard to go over cal limit with just one meal and in fact i usually then have room for desert too (while still hitting all macros). Feels almost like treating yourself while in a deficit.

diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) diesel_3 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I did it for awhile last year when I worked earlier mornings and didn't really want to eat breakfast besides having some coffee.
    Would have an 800-1,000 lunch then come home and pig out on a 1,000-1,200 calorie supper and not go to bed hungry.

But remember, no carbs after 8pm....I KID I KID!
    **CAN Army Veteran**
    TF 3-09 Roto 8

Originally Posted by diesel_3 View Post
    I did it for awhile last year when I worked earlier mornings and didn't really want to eat breakfast besides having some coffee.
    Would have an 800-1,000 lunch then come home and pig out on a 1,000-1,200 calorie supper and not go to bed hungry.

But remember, no carbs after 8pm....I KID I KID!
    lol had me for a second, how did it work out for you?

unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Compliance is a huge issue that is not to be underestimated.
    Started 2012 at over 410lbs (that was as high as my scale went) and I ended the year at 260lbs.

Still going strong while eating whatever I want - whenever I want; I just keep it to under 2000 calories a day.

TEAM IIFYC (if it fits your calories)

Originally Posted by unleashthelion View Post
    Compliance is a huge issue that is not to be underestimated.
    To IF?

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    All that matters is that you are in a defcit. How much you eat, when you eat, or what you eat doesnt matter.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

Thank you all for your responses, great help!

If anyone is interested in further reading:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/leangains...ttent-fasting/

http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objecti...t-fasting.html